Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where did your interest in Ice Hockey come from?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Grew up in Canada so I suppose its in the blood. Every kid there plays hockey, even if it is only on the street. Worst part about moving to Ireland was the lack of hockey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i first got the hockey bug back in the early 60s,as a merchant seaman on the canadain run,we spent a lot of time in ports of quebec,montreal,and toronto,no soccer on TV in those days,just the hockey between the molson[beer] adverts,favorite teams,blackhawks,and maple leafs,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Grew up in Canada so I suppose its in the blood. Every kid there plays hockey, even if it is only on the street. Worst part about moving to Ireland was the lack of hockey.

Loving the username. Fan of the McKenzie brothers, ey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dw_newtown

my first exposure to ice hockey came from the sega mega drive game my cousin had, it was the international version i think.

Since then ive had a few NHL's over the years and always enjoy playing them as well as following them.

i have no team so to speak, but i really wanted the Canucks to win the stanley last year, but they are really bad losers!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Again a new forum that I just found :

My love of hockey? Probably that I was born and lived in Canada for a few years , loved watching the skating and when i came here we were always brought to the rinks and I loved skating and nothing could put me off it.

Watched the mighty ducks as a kid, and adult, and love it , would love to have played hockey as a kid but Gran thought it was too dangerous and wouldn't let me...

I do however love watching hockey ... woo go Canucks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

dw_newtown wrote: »
    my first exposure to ice hockey came from the sega mega drive game my cousin had, it was the international version i think.

Since then ive had a few NHL's over the years and always enjoy playing them as well as following them.

i have no team so to speak, but i really wanted the Canucks to win the stanley last year, but they are really bad losers!

the canucks were gonna riot either way.. it was a shameful shameful experience.. but I guess it could have been anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Am I allowed to revive this thing?

I'm starting to get into ice hockey now, I really want to learn to play. I always had a tiny interest in the back of my mind from watching Mighty Ducks (:rolleyes:) and other American programmes/films etc as a child. Went to Edmonton, Canada when I was ten. I was facinated by it and really wanted to go skating (didn't get the chance). We did a kind of indoor ice hockey in PE at school and I always loved it. Loved rollerblading too when I was wee. Finally got to go iceskating in Belfast one year and found that I could just do it, no falling or accidentally killing anyone! Been skating a few times and I love it. Stayed up to watch the hockey final of the Winter Olympics last year (shouting for Canada of course) and now I'm dying to get into the sport properly. Starting to follow New York Rangers now, but I have to have a soft spot for the Edmonton Oilers, have family links with Edmonton.

Hope we can get a good interest in ice hockey in Ireland! :pac:

Good taste in sport and bass players!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mart0

Sister moved to New Jersey about 8 years ago. Since then she has gotten crazy into hockey and brought me down with her. Got properly crazy over the top into it last year. I view it as the greatest sport in the world, Nothing tops it. I went to Game 2 of the SC finals a few months ago in Newark, One of the greatest experiences of my life. Go Devs.

• Advertisement

Mart0 wrote: »
    Sister moved to New Jersey about 8 years ago. Since then she has gotten crazy into hockey and brought me down with her. Got properly crazy over the top into it last year. I view it as the greatest sport in the world, Nothing tops it. I went to Game 2 of the SC finals a few months ago in Newark, One of the greatest experiences of my life. Go Devs.

Hurling tops it for me, but only hurling. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I guess i started liking Hockey Many years ago,its probably my favourite sport to watch!

I also like Football however but Hockey I think is #1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I had always enjoyed hockey when the winter Olympics were on tv in the '70's - grudge matches between the Czechs v USSR, and USA - USSR etc.
    Then in 1992 I visited friends in Philadelphia and was taken to see a pre-season match between the Flyers and Washington Capitals-full house, wonderful atmosphere, marvellous. Flyers won 5-2 I think.
    Then, fortunately, Ice Hockey came to Belfast, and because I lived nearby in Lisburn, I went along there for the first couple of seasons. Haven't been to a match for ages now, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

I got into it about April of this year. One of my American friends got into it, and I followed. My mam also was a fan because she was an iceskater back in the day. I chose the Hawks as my team purely because I've always been a fan of Chicago as a city (no idea why.) Since then I've learned how the hell the game works, major players and most importantly, how to get into it myself. Which doesn't seem to be a possibility, considering the lack of rinks in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Move to Belfast, simples.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i'm canadian :p
    watched hockey all the time with my grandpa and da when i was a kid. played hockey on the girls team in high school......& every saturday night was spent with ron maclean & don cherry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Meeting my wife. I always liked hockey to an extent, but my wife is Slovak, and they are obsessive about it, so that got me into it.

I recommend it to everyone, love it.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Advertisement