Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webpage to App conversion

Options
  • 14-01-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Could someone please explain how difficult it would be to covert a webpage (HTML) to an App to a complete tech numpty? I am considering Apps as a way to diseminate info that I regularly update on a webpage,

Presumably the answer lies between the "press the convert HTML to App button on your computer" and the "completely impossible - hahaha" extremes

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Depends what OS you want to target. If you have the webpage already then why don't you just keep that? It's cross platform so will work with any OS (you may need to tweak the UI to work better on a mobile screen but this will be far easier than coding new apps). I think far too many people rush to make apps for mobiles when a more mobile friendly site is a better alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Depends what OS you want to target. If you have the webpage already then why don't you just keep that? It's cross platform so will work with any OS (you may need to tweak the UI to work better on a mobile screen but this will be far easier than coding new apps). I think far too many people rush to make apps for mobiles when a more mobile friendly site is a better alternative.

Not sure I understand you - are you saying that the enduser should access my existing webpage using the browser (safari?) on their iPhone?

The people I am targeting are well into their iPhones, hence the need to accomodate them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not sure I understand you - are you saying that the enduser should access my existing webpage using the browser (safari?) on their iPhone?

Exactly except by using a website instead of an app you also give access to people on android, WP7, WM6.5, BlackBerry etc. You won't be limiting it to just iPhone users.
    The people I am targeting are well into their iPhones, hence the need to accomodate them.

A website can still accommodate them though. What does having a dedicated app offer the user over a website?

Exactly except by using a website instead of an app you also give access to people on android, WP7, WM6.5, BlackBerry etc. You won't be limiting it to just iPhone users.

A website can still accommodate them though. What does having a dedicated app offer the user over a website?

Ok, that's the answer I was looking for - so I just get them to bookmark the webpage on their IPhone browser? Does this bookmark necessitate them opening the browser first ? (total numpty on iPhone too !!)

thanks for your answers, by the way.

Ok, that's the answer I was looking for - so I just get them to bookmark the webpage on their IPhone browser? Does this bookmark necessitate them opening the browser first ? (total numpty on iPhone too !!)

thanks for your answers, by the way.

With the iPhone I believe they can just put a shortcut on their homescreen. So they have an icon where their list of apps are, they click that icon and it opens the browser for them and takes them to your page. You might want to check that first but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. You should make sure that your webpage is tailored for running on a smaller screen and is touch friendly.

• Advertisement

With the iPhone I believe they can just put a shortcut on their homescreen. So they have an icon where their list of apps are, they click that icon and it opens the browser for them and takes them to your page. You might want to check that first but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. You should make sure that your webpage is tailored for running on a smaller screen and is touch friendly.

That's great, thank you

That's great, thank you

No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Webpage is a great option, good luck if you are trying to sell it the users though.

Webpage is a great option, good luck if you are trying to sell it the users though.

Not trying to sell it, just trying to show data that may be compelling...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Then a webpage is the best option, saves you time and gets you much more viewers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

And bear in mind that it's possible to make a web page for the iPhone that looks very similar to an application anyway.

I used the JQTouch framework for a web front-end for iPhone clients and it was pretty easy to do.

Advertisement