Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda station (stupid question)

Options
  • 14-01-2011 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the opening, closing times of Douglas Garda station for tommorow please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

http://findaddress.citizensinformation.ie/service_finder/bycounty/Cork/Cork%20City/Garda%20Stations

Garda Station

Douglas
    Cork City
    Co. Cork

Tel: +353 21 485 7670

fax: +353 21 485 7671

email: N/A

www: http://www.garda.ie

Opening Hours: Mon-Sat 10am - 6pm & 7pm - 10pm. Sun 10am - 2pm

Wheelchair-accessible: Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Why is it not open 24/7? Gurranabrather Garda station is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Even the address is misleading, the station is in the County not the city

• Registered Users Posts: 27 corkcoco

Total flexi time in this place, opens when it suits....try O'Sullivans bar at breakfast time mon-fri 9 to 12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

CorkMan wrote: »

Coz it is on the south side... Not the north side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

CorkMan wrote: »

Because gardai have better things to be doing than signing people's passport forms at 2am. They are out and about on the roads instead.

pwurple wrote: »
    Because gardai have better things to be doing than signing people's passport forms at 2am. They are out and about on the roads instead.

I think barracks open at night means you have somewhere to go to report being robbed or assaulted and not get your passport stamped.

dave1982 wrote: »
    I think barracks open at night means you have somewhere to go to report being robbed or assaulted and not get your passport stamped.

Anglesea street, 999 or 112 is always available for those services. Form stamping is what the local public offices are for.

Anglesea street, 999 or 112 is always available for those services. Form stamping is what the local public offices are for.

What good is 999 if your got robbed and they took your phone?lets just hope people get attacked near Angleasa street so.

So a local public office can do a Garda stamp for passports.Thanks thats handy info to have.

If you are robbed how are you getting to the garda station either? Is your hypothetical situation that your phone is stolen directly outside the door of the douglas garda station, but nowhere near any other human being or pub/petrol station that may have a phone? Maybe your phone report could wait until the morning eh? Garda aren't a mammy substitute. Grow up and let them get on with it. Serious crime is to be reported to emergency services, other stuff waits til the morning.

• Advertisement

If you are robbed how are you getting to the garda station either? Is your hypothetical situation that your phone is stolen directly outside the door of the douglas garda station, but nowhere near any other human being or pub/petrol station that may have a phone? Maybe your phone report could wait until the morning eh? Garda aren't a mammy substitute. Grow up and let them get on with it. Serious crime is to be reported to emergency services, other stuff waits til the morning.

Why would it wait till morning to report? Thats silly so I am to give the person who attacked me 12 hours before I report him?Is it hide and seek you think the Guards want to play?

I would report the crime ASAP so I can say guy was in his 20's blue jean grey top black hair so the Guards can go out in the Patrol car find him arrest him and get him off the street.

Assaulted and robbed on the street is not a serious crime in your eyes?

What do you suggest barracks close at 6pm and let the criminals loose knowing the guards are off till morning we'll be grand rob him attack her break in that old persons home.

I would report the crime ASAP so I can say guy was in his 20's blue jean grey top black hair so the Guards can go out in the Patrol car find him arrest him and get him off the street.

I agree. BUT as the previous poster said, unless you happen to be robbed right outside a Garda station, your fastest way to notify the Gardai would still be by phone so if yours happened to be taken also you would stop someone and ask for help or call into a petrol station etc etc. A garda station front desk is not a very likely route you would actually take in this case so it being open or closed would not really matter to you.

Ludo wrote: »
    I agree. BUT as the previous poster said, unless you happen to be robbed right outside a Garda station, your fastest way to notify the Gardai would still be by phone so if yours happened to be taken also you would stop someone and ask for help or call into a petrol station etc etc. A garda station front desk is not a very likely route you would actually take in this case so it being open or closed would not really matter to you.

Agreed I see your point but I'd still like to see Guards open 24/7.

Yep..but in these times a lot of things have to go. This to me is a fairly harmless one in the grand scheme of things.
    Bigger discussion of it here in this forum...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056824979

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

Barracks street is two minute drive from Anglesey Street and Douglas is a 5 minute drive. It would be stupid to have the two of them open 24/7 when you have a large Cork headquarters so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Even the address is misleading, the station is in the County not the city

Because its in the Cork City Garda Division

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

By closing stations from 9pm till 7am, there will extra 14,600 est patrolling hours in year by taken the members out of the stations on the streets. More gardas on the streets better public safety, less crime.

I think the general perception by people is that there would be less Guards on duty.Thankfully that don't seem to be the case

Advertisement