Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History or Geography???

• 14-01-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm in TY and we have to pick our LC subjects in a week, and I can't choose between History and Geography! :(

Does anyone have any advice on which one would be the best one to do?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's no 'best to do' one. Your username would indicate maybe you like Geography? Or maybe not?

Both involve project work nowadays so while there is a lot of learning, it's not as bad as it was 'in my day'.

Whichever one you like best is what it boils down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

GEOGRAPHY... i love history but not the mind numbing crap you do in the LC, its awful. For the love of god pick geography! its easy enough aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

There's seriously loooads in history to learn, while in geography(from what I know from my friend who does it) it's pretty much the same as the JC but in more detail, but you have the project to do aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Geography..

I did History. Hated it. Dropped it for Applied Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Geography..

I did History. Hated it. Dropped it for Applied Maths.
    Defo. Geography. If you have a slight interest in it you should do well. Pretty straight forward however you will need to constantly revise and condense notes. I love it, my favourite subject. Got 95%(A1) in my HL Christmas test! DO IT!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 elarkla

I'd say Geography..

History: big course, mostly essays, heavy learning, requires good English skills, and the project needs a LOT of work....

Geography: fairly big course but its mostly learning points. Exam is a mix of short qs and long questions but not really essay type and you can use diagrams.

Both are really interesting, but personally I prefer Geography... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

Im doing both for my leaving cert! Im the only one in my year doing this! Both have a lot of learning in them. In history you learn off 4 to 5 A4 pgs on an essay, while geograhy is more 2 A4s including diagrams!
    You should borrow someones books who r doing the leaving cert and flick through nd see if there is something particular about one that you like for you to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

whichever you like best. history is entirely essay-based (and like somebody said, requires good english skills, so if your english is poor it's not a good choice), so if long essays scare you and you're also not particularly interested in the subject, i'd avoid it.

i think that people inclined to do well in history will know without much thought that they want to do it, though - you're either interested or you're not, and if you're not, you're going to be bored senseless by an incredibly broad, content-heavy course (which should not be a turn-off if you enjoy history).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jennyoo

Well I can only really speak for history because I don't do geography. I personally enjoy it but our teacher is brilliant! She is really strict and shows no personality (lol) and just teaches but she manages to get everyone As! There is quite a lot of learning and as someone else said the essays are 4/5 pages long. You don't need good English skills tbh, it's all about learning your notes and applying them to the question asked. If the history teachers in your school are bad I would strongly advise against doing it as the course is huge, you won't get it covered in time and the work will pile up in 6th year with the research project and completing the course. Its not difficult at all in terms of understanding, it's just memorizing huge chunks of information and regurgitating it on the day of the exam :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Did both and got an A1 in history and a B1 in Geography (after getting an A1 in the mocks :mad:). Anyway, History isn't as bad as is being made out here, includes Irish Civil War, rise of Hitler and Stalin, WW2, etc depending on what sections your teacher chooses. Interesting enough course by all means.

Workload for geography is much lighter than history but history is not that hard depending on how much effort you're prepared to put in. There's a research project which I really enjoyed doing while I only learnt off 6-7 essays for the exam which isn't really that much if you enjoy it. But you will need very good english to consider doing it.

If it came to a choice try to decide are you prepared for a heavy workload for history. The geography course is much easier to learn and the exam is definately easier. Funnily enough I do geography in college now and not history but c'est la vie eh :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I do geography thats because I find it more interesting and its just my personal preference really. I don't mind history but theres a lot of essays in it I didn't pick it. Geography isn't that hard theres quite a bit to learn a few case studies but once you know it its not too bad . But go with which one you prefer and find more interesting or which one that you are better at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

From experience, I would choose Geography. I found it a straight forward subject. Straight forward to learn the material and reproduce it in writing when doing class tests and when I did it in the LC. TY is a good indicator as to decide whether you'd prefer to do geography or history in the leaving cert. Its a pity you can't do both for TY like I did it gave me a better insight and judgement which subject to choose as an option in leaving cert yet when I did lcvp I could only choose geography or history. I went with geography as it was my best subject in school and I enjoyed the subject very much. I loved history but found it hard when it came to exams yet I enjoyed the subject. It was a tough decision to make and I went with the subject I felt I do well in the leaving cert. I chose geography. Best subject in my leaving cert results. If I could I would have done both subjects but didn't get a choice had to choose one or the other.

Op best to decide which subject you are good at, which of them you enjoy and which you think you do well in when you sit your leaving cert and which subject be useful for the course you plan to do in college or what career you would like. The results I got in my junior cert more or less made up my mind which subject to choose and did better in geography than history so went with geography. I got a taster from when I was in TY so got an insight into the curriculum for both subjects. That made my decision for me too a little easier and went with geography in the end.

Best of luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Do both, Geo is the easier, but History is just fascinating, especially if you research beyond the crap that is in the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    History is just fascinating,

Not all of it is, some parts of the course just make me want to get a gun place it on my temple and pull the trigger.

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    Not all of it is, some parts of the course just make me want to get a gun place it on my temple and pull the trigger.
    I enjoyed it all... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

The northern Irish history is not very enjoyable, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Parnell and the Land League :(. I didn't like that at all, at all.

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    The northern Irish history is not very enjoyable, sorry.
    That because you get taught an airbrushed version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

im doing history and geography, geography is far easier to get an A in

Advertisement