Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine food (authentic/high quality) - No mass produced inferior copy crap

Options
  • 14-01-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭

Mods, apologies if this is posted in wrong forum.

O.K., so I'm up in Dublin again tomorrow and was going to stop off at the food market in Temple Bar where I intend to get a bottle of some nice authentic cloudy natural cider and some nice cheese.

My question: are there any other places in Dublin where you can get particularly good natural food/confectionery etc

eg: I love a good Black Forest Gateau, you know a proper one with moist rich chocolate spongecake, fresh whipped cream, proper chocolate shavings, real maraschino cherries and a proper whiff of kirsch off it

I don't love those insipid, omnipresent logs made with dry flavourless spongecake, hundreds and thousands instead of the chocolate shavings, some plasticky last for 10weeks cream with a dollop of some cherry flavoured crap on top they seem to mass produce and sell in every ****hole coffee shop and supermarket from one end of this island to the other.

so anyone know a really good bakery that actually makes proper Black Forest?

also: I've found it very hard to get duck liver pate that resembles anything like what a duck pate should (usually they are 55%+ pork liver)

anyone know a place that sells good quality meats/meat products like this....not a good butchers as such.

and: anyone know where you can get proper fresh anchovies in Dublin? (English market in Cork used to be great for this)

Please feel free to add your own favorites and places you get them etc.

Comments

Fallon and Byrne on Exchequer St. are one of the first places I check when I'm looking for something picky. Also I know it doesn't sound very believable, but I got a black forest gateau that I ordered from Superquinn that was good (not excellent, but far better than the packaged/cafe/low-end restaurant type). Ordered it specifically though in advance. If you're interested in chocolate, there's a new place opened in the Ilac Centre, called Benoit's Chocolate factory. Very swish for the Ilac, and they do broken up chocolate sheets called chocolate bark that's made fresh every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭amacca

Fallon and Byrne on Exchequer St. are one of the first places I check when I'm looking for something picky. Also I know it doesn't sound very believable, but I got a black forest gateau that I ordered from Superquinn that was good (not excellent, but far better than the packaged/cafe/low-end restaurant type). Ordered it specifically though in advance. If you're interested in chocolate, there's a new place opened in the Ilac Centre, called Benoit's Chocolate factory. Very swish for the Ilac, and they do broken up chocolate sheets called chocolate bark that's made fresh every morning.

Cheers, this is helpful.......so Superquinn bake to order, you learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

There is a company called Death by Chocolate in the Spade Enterprise Center near Smithfield. I have had some of the chocolate desserts and they are top notch. Could be a bit pricey though and might not suit you for a one off visit.

http://www.deathbychocolate.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I make my own mini black forest cupcakes....;)

Invest in some good Kirsch, black cherry jam, jar of preserved cherries or fresh cherries when in season.:)

+1
    Superquinn cakes to order are fab too (had their fresh cream/fruit flan) if your not into DIY:D

Advertisement