Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Materials from the North??

Options
  • 14-01-2011 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Will be starting my self build in the Autumn (hopefully) and was trying to gauge materials prices, apparently most of them have gone up recently, especially insulation. But I was talking to a friend in Cork who built his own house in 2009 and told me he saved a fortune by buying from a builders merchants in Downpatrick, Co. Down. I thought the haulage would have made it uneconomical but he said he bought low volume/high value items such as slates and velux windows and then just filled the lorry with insulation. Reckoned he saved nearly €4000 on a €23000 order though he said the exchange rate was better back then.
    Anyway, have any other self builders bought materials from the north recently and saved themselves money and if so, are there certain things that are significantly cheaper across the border??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

couple of things - first of all 2009 is now 2 years ago.........so what someone paid then is, frankly, irrelevant.

Don't forget currency is against you..........and, since January 1st 2011, they now charge 20% VAT in NI.

We charge 13.5% down here.

And road freight has gone up - thank the Greens for that one - seen diesel prices recently.......

I'm not saying it won't be, but I'd be surprised if it's worth it - but I'd be interested in people's current concrete (sic) experiences.........I've price both fire product and timber from NI relatively recently, and it was cheaper down here. YMMV and all that.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

galwaytt wrote: »
    couple of things - first of all 2009 is now 2 years ago.........so what someone paid then is, frankly, irrelevant.

Don't forget currency is against you..........and, since January 1st 2011, they now charge 20% VAT in NI.

We charge 13.5% down here.

And road freight has gone up - thank the Greens for that one - seen diesel prices recently.......

I'm not saying it won't be, but I'd be surprised if it's worth it - but I'd be interested in people's current concrete (sic) experiences.........I've price both fire product and timber from NI relatively recently, and it was cheaper down here. YMMV and all that.......

I think your vat rate 'down here' should read 21% , and possibly to increase to 23% in the next few year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Savings to be made but haggle here first.
    Vat is 13.5% on labour not materials.
    I know of one boardsie who got the best price of 96 cent per brick for a particular type of brick for his house....the same brick in the north worked out at 34 cent!!
    If you do go north look further than newry or co.down...try a few builders merchants away from the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cass721

Was wondering about the vat thing there, was beginning to think there was a special rate for building materials!!

Think you're right MF, will try here first but will also make up a list of materials that I think will fill a forty footer and see what the comparison is. Would prefer to keep the money in the country but if I can save even €1000, it's better in my pocket than going towards some politicians expenses!

Know what you mean about trying merchants away from the border aswell. As I said at the start, my friend got his materials from Downpatrick which looks to be closer to Belfast than the border. So I think I'll give his supplier a ring.

One other thing, has anyone any experience of SVK slates. They seem to do the same types as Tegral and offer the same guarantees but are meant to be cheaper????

Thanks

Advertisement