Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop & iPhone working fine with UPC Cisco wireless router-Netbook wont connect

Options
  • 14-01-2011 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Ive an odd problem with my new Cisco wireless router from UPC.

It was set up by a tech during the week and I tested it on my Dell 640m laptop and iPhone and both are working away at 8 megs.. perfect.

The odd thing is, I booted my Dell Mini 9 netbook for the first time in a few days and it wont connect at all. It sees the network in the list at full strength but gives me a cannot connect message once I click to get it going.

The netbook is newer than the laptop so Im not sure whats going on here.

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried the netbook with any other wireless networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Had the netbook worked with the Cisco wireless router previously? If so, did you change anything on the Cisco since you last connected to it with the netbook?

Try removing the saved wireless connection details and conecting again as if for the first time. What version of Windows is on the netbook? If it's Windows 7 then you can remove a saved wireless profile as follows :

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center. Click on the 'Manage wireless networks' link, select your network and click on Remove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The netbook worked fine on the wireless netgear router I had up to now. The cisco is brand new from UPC so this was the first time the netbook connected to it. Id removed all the other wireless profiles before trying to connect to this one.

Both laptop and netbook are using the same w7 version because I upgraded them with a 3 licence W7 that I bought.

It's hardely something to do with the security on the router? As in the WPK etc..

Trotter wrote: »
    It's hardely something to do with the security on the router? As in the WPK etc..

Yes that is the other common problem with the UPC Cisco routers in that UPC's default implementation of wireless security seems incompatible with certain wireless devices. Try changing the wireless security type and see how you get on.

bhickey wrote: »
    Yes that is the other common problem with the UPC Cisco routers in that UPC's default implementation of wireless security seems incompatible with certain wireless devices. Try changing the wireless security type and see how you get on.

Thanks.. Which would you recommend for general home security? There seems to be a lot of options I'm not familiar with.

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »
    Thanks.. Which would you recommend for general home security? There seems to be a lot of options I'm not familiar with.

WPA2 should be fine with a decent length password (e.g. 8+ characters, upper & lowercase etc.). As far as I can remember though, some wireless devices have bother with one of the WPA2 variations on the Cisco. Just make sure that all devices can connect whenever you're done.

I hate computers. I came home to try and fix it, and bingo.. it works and asks me for the password.

I didnt do anything apart from running all the windows updates available using a 3G broadband stick.

So.. it seems Im mysteriously sorted!

Thanks all :)

Advertisement