Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

MagicIRL wrote: »
    GAME is useless anyway. I'm not even surprised this has happened. I remember they sold my pre-ordered WoW:WOTLK in GAME in The Square, Tallaght so when I arrived it was gone, and they were just like "Yeah... we sold it because someone came in looking for one and we had none left." Since then I've refused to shop with them.

Can't ever say I've had a problem with them myself and I've been buying from them for years which was why I found this so surprising. I'd have expected something like that from Gamestop alright, if only because I had a similar experience. HMV are generally good as well but they weren't preordering even regular copies of Rift.

One thing I will say about GAME is that they need to get the Irish preorders merged into the UK computer systems, having stuff written down in a ledger in-store is a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

probably been playing wow too long, but the movement, especially jumping feels and looks terrible in Rift. Serverside lag spikes and framerate drops in raids or near invasions are disasterous.. not sure about this at all :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Lorenzomedici

You system meet the requirements to run the game? Updated your graphics card drivers?

No lag or frame rate issues at all for me on a medium machine with high settings, animations are fine also.

@Gummy Panda

Did you come to Bloodiron?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah, system meets the recommended system requirements with ease, and it still feels sluggish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Can't stop playing this game :o

My Rogue (mostly playing as a Bard) is at lvl 24 but I started a Cleric earlier due to pvp queues being a little longer in the 20-29 bracket (or is it 21-29?).
    Cleric at level 11 and servers went down for patching.

Thin I'll roll a Mage now when the servers are back up :)

All Guardian, cba playing Defiant with the masses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can you level up through PvP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Yeah you get xp and cash in warfronts.

Cool, will try that later (assuming i can get past the queues).

Stormcaller is excellent for PvP: AoE snare + multiple AoE damage spells = lots of points. You get a couple of different knockbacks too depending on your choice of skill points for those pesky warriors/rogues that rush you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im hooked, so far its amazing,easily the most complete MMO @ launch ive ever played.
    I stopped at lvl 20 in the beta on my toons to keep the game fresh.
    Have my mage @ 24 now, ive been crafting away as i level which is enjoyable in itself.
    Some of the lads on the guild are mid to high 30s now :eek:
    Im taking it easy,im in this for the long haul so no rush :)
    Already paid up 3 months subs.

I cant get over the class system with the inter changeable souls.
    I leveled my mage to 20 with stormcaller/elamentalist/dominator basically its a mage that throws lightning spells allover the place with tonnes of AOE, lots of fun.
    I unlocked more souls and am now playing as necromancer/warlock/chloromancer, its like going from a mage to warlock in wow,totally different experience,tottally different class without having to roll another class,i can switch between them with the press of a button brilliant brilliant feature of the game.
    I could go on and on, so far im enjoying it hugely,fair play to Trion they done an amazing job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Dcully wrote: »
    Im hooked, so far its amazing,easily the most complete MMO @ launch ive ever played.
    I stopped at lvl 20 in the beta on my toons to keep the game fresh.
    Have my mage @ 24 now, ive been crafting away as i level which is enjoyable in itself.
    Some of the lads on the guild are mid to high 30s now :eek:
    Im taking it easy,im in this for the long haul so no rush :)
    Already paid up 3 months subs.

I cant get over the class system with the inter changeable souls.
    I leveled my mage to 20 with stormcaller/elamentalist/dominator basically its a mage that throws lightning spells allover the place with tonnes of AOE, lots of fun.
    I unlocked more souls and am now playing as necromancer/warlock/chloromancer, its like going from a mage to warlock in wow,totally different experience,tottally different class without having to roll another class,i can switch between them with the press of a button brilliant brilliant feature of the game.
    I could go on and on, so far im enjoying it hugely,fair play to Trion they done an amazing job.

What proffesions did you go? I went mining weapon smithing and armour smithing. While mining seems easy enough smithing seems a bit strange for me (this being the only MMO iv properly done crafting). Just seems to be spam create for a spec till i level and buy a receipe from the trainer.

How do you change your souls? I thought you were stuck with the 3 you choose in the newb zone.

Haven't had any framerate or server lag issues at all - I'm playing on Ultra graphics settings (with the AA maxed out) and get a steady 30-50 fps, down to about 15-20 in big raids but that's well workable for the quality of the graphics.

@ Stev_o I went with Outfitter and Butchering.

@ Promac you get quests to get a certain item that drops from closed rifts, then use it to spawn some mob, kill him return to quest giver and he gives you new souls.
    For Guardians the quest givers are in that college place in Silverwood.

Quest to unlock the rest of your souls comes into effect once you hit level 13. If you're playing Guardian, the soul quests are available in Sanctum, pretty neat too then you get to play around with all the specs at such a low level.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Defiant soul quests are in Meridian - there are a few upstairs in the library-type place and a few outside in the main courtyards.

I think they may have changed it from beta, in that I seemed to be railroaded into doing them in a particular sequence, whereas in beta I could choose whichever one I wanted and not bother with some if I didn't want those souls.

So let me get this straight...you get 3 souls from the starter quests, but to get access to the rest of them you need to do a quest for each? And then once you have access to them all, you can respec to these souls with a trainer?

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Quest to unlock the rest of your souls comes into effect once you hit level 13. If you're playing Guardian, the soul quests are available in Sanctum, pretty neat too then you get to play around with all the specs at such a low level.

Depending on your class, the warrior quest givers are in Sanctum, the Mages are in the college.

@ Kiith yes you get 3 souls very early on.
    You then unlock all souls in your teens.
    Then you pay to buy more roles, in these roles you can then mess about with different soul combos.
    For example my role one is stormcaller/elementalist/dominator.
    My second role is Necromancer/warlock/chloromancer.
    In your souls tab you can switch between the two roles.
    Soon im going to buy a third roll and go with a Pyromancer build.
    Hope that explains it ?

As well as can be explained without playing it i guess. Going to give it a good go tonight, and see how it goes. Is the guild setup already?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sorry to sound the negeative nancy but there is a few boyos here that have said through every mmo launch

"This is the best polished mmo ive played at launch" and other types of hyper inflated comments about mmo's which have then crashed and burned with no endgame content or problems etc

The list grows ever endless. I'm going to wait a month or two before I make any decision, but I'm putting my money on another hyped mmo to flop when players reach endgame ;)

TheDoc wrote: »
    Sorry to sound the negeative nancy but there is a few boyos here that have said through every mmo launch

"This is the best polished mmo ive played at launch" and other types of hyper inflated comments about mmo's which have then crashed and burned with no endgame content or problems etc

The list grows ever endless. I'm going to wait a month or two before I make any decision, but I'm putting my money on another hyped mmo to flop when players reach endgame ;)

Your just a wow fanboy , end of !!! :):p:p:p

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »

To be fair, i don't think any of us claimed War, AoC or any of the other recent MMO's have been anywhere near polished. Having played pretty much every single one of them, i can confirm that it is increadibly polished for a launch. Not a single crash, no bugs, and no graphical issues for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Whenever a new MMO comes out I'm pretty sure I've seen you two claim it the messiah for it to inevitably be rubbish, or be a grind, or to be lacking edngame :)

I'm a fanboy yes in that I'm playing nonstop six years and enjoy the experience but im always on the look for another good mmo, as there is alot of downtime in wow tbh during end game content.

Instead of playing six alts id love a fresh game to be playnig, hence why ill hold off on rift for atleast 2 months.

My shelf has a mountain of dust from games like

Aion
    Champions online
    Warhammer
    Aoc
    Lotr

That jsut didnt live up to the comments ;)

Your track record is as accurate as Eamonn Dunphy >:D

I'm only having a bit of banter, rift does look decent, be it a massive wow clone in fairness looking at the Ui, but will keep a close eye on it

As much as i wish i could disagree with you, you're absolutely right :P

I've fallen for pretty much every release in the past few years. Everytime i hope for the promised land away from Warcraft, and every time i've gone back. And to be honest, i may do that again. But i just spent the last 2 hours running around fighting some awesome battles against multiple rifts and instances, and had a blast. And for an MMo that isn't even out yet, its amazingly stable. Far far better from a technical point of view then any other MMO i've played, including Warcraft (at launch that is). Not since early days of Warcraft have i had as much fun.

But see if it joins the others on my shelf with the others :)

Kiith wrote: »
    As much as i wish i could disagree with you, you're absolutely right :P

I've fallen for pretty much every release in the past few years. Everytime i hope for the promised land away from Warcraft, and every time i've gone back. And to be honest, i may do that again. But i just spent the last 2 hours running around fighting some awesome battles against multiple rifts and instances, and had a blast. And for an MMo that isn't even out yet, its amazingly stable. Far far better from a technical point of view then any other MMO i've played, including Warcraft (at launch that is). Not since early days of Warcraft have i had as much fun.

But see if it joins the others on my shelf with the others :)

What he said !! :D

The Twitter thingy that it does (if you set it up with your account in the in-game settings) is pretty cool. Sends an auto tweet complete with screenshot every time you get an achievement :) Nice touch that, just looked back on all my early achievements in the game there while it's down for a patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Is anybody else having performance issues with this game?

I was playing for a while last night and when there were a lot of other players on screen, my frame rate dropped below 10FPS.

Without all the crowds I was still only getting 17 - 20 FPS.

On Medium settings.
    I saw posts from people stating they could run it fine with an nvidia 8800GTX.

Checked the system requirements and I should be ok with it:

AMD Phenom 9600 quad core 2.4GHZ
    3GB ram
    ATI 5850 HD
    Windows 7 64 home premium.
    30 meg UPC line.

:confused:

I had some slowdown on a major invasion in Silverwood, but there were 50+ people, and i have my settings turned up pretty high. 1gb 4890 with core2duo processor. Normally runs pretty well, even with the settings as high as they are. But in i may turn some effects down for future invasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Kiith wrote: »
    I had some slowdown on a major invasion in Silverwood, but there were 50+ people, and i have my settings turned up pretty high. 1gb 4890 with core2duo processor. Normally runs pretty well, even with the settings as high as they are. But in i may turn some effects down for future invasions.

Strange.
    I'm using Fraps all the time to check my framerate. I wonder if it's reporting incorrectly? 20FPS seems to be the max I can get on medium settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

I've got a stock e8400 and a HD4850 and I've seen it drop to 7-10 FPS a couple of times, but only when there were 50-60 characters on screen.

Otherwise I'm comfortably in 30-40 territory.

I'd quite like to get a bigger monitor but I'm afraid that I'll need to upgrade the card if I do.

Edit: I've been checking by hovering my mouse over the menu icon which also shows latency.

• Advertisement

Doesnt Fraps itself cause slowdown in games? I've not used it in years, so maybe it doesnt anymore.

Advertisement