Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Kiith wrote: »
    Doesnt Fraps itself cause slowdown in games? I've not used it in years, so maybe it doesnt anymore.

I'll turn off fraps. I got so used to having it running. Maybe the cause of other problems I've been having...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I can confirm framrate drops dramatically in large invasions and rifts.
    I often go from 60-70 fps to 15-25 in such events.
    Best tip i can offer is turn off shadows completely for these large events, takes a couple of seconds to do and dramatically improves things - theres so much going on onscreen that you wont see the shadows anyways yet they are still being rendered beneath all the mayhem.
    As soon as these large events end just turn shadows back on back on for eye candy for your questing and smaller rifts/invasions.
    Im running ultra settings 1920X1080 everything maxed out 60-70 fps consistently until the massive invasions and rifts occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I've just read all this thread this morning, and am uber curious! Might pick the game up in the next few days and give it a go...Cata has been so meh for me since its release!

Interestin reading your comments Dcully, starting from not being that into it and then being kinda hooked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Is anybody else having performance issues with this game?

I was playing for a while last night and when there were a lot of other players on screen, my frame rate dropped below 10FPS.

Without all the crowds I was still only getting 17 - 20 FPS.

On Medium settings.
    I saw posts from people stating they could run it fine with an nvidia 8800GTX.

Checked the system requirements and I should be ok with it:

AMD Phenom 9600 quad core 2.4GHZ
    3GB ram
    ATI 5850 HD
    Windows 7 64 home premium.
    30 meg UPC line.

:confused:

Try updating your ATI drivers. The engine for whatever reason isn't that great with the ATI cards and most people say try to get the latest drivers to squeeze some FPS out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Question for you....say there's a major invasion, with fights happening in several areas. You kill one group, you get an 'invasion stopped' message and can claim a reward if you want. If you don't claim a reward, and move onto the next fight, will the reward stack with the reward from the next fight? Basically should i not claim a reward until the entire invasion is over?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Interestin reading your comments Dcully, starting from not being that into it and then being kinda hooked

Tell me about it :)
    After being burned by so many MMOs i was seriously skeptical but once i started rifting and saw invasions and understood the class system i couldnt help but enjoy.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Try updating your ATI drivers. The engine for whatever reason isn't that great with the ATI cards and most people say try to get the latest drivers to squeeze some FPS out.

Will Do.

Question for you....say there's a major invasion, with fights happening in several areas. You kill one group, you get an 'invasion stopped' message and can claim a reward if you want. If you don't claim a reward, and move onto the next fight, will the reward stack with the reward from the next fight? Basically should i not claim a reward until the entire invasion is over?

You keep all your rewards regardless of when you claim them. That little circle on the left hand side where you can open up your rewards is basically a bag and thus it ll store everything there until you move them into your own bag. Hell id still be doing quests with my bag full and the reward tab still open because i haven't taken everything.

Just remember each zone has uniques reward vendors they do not carry over. Only Planrite the flat currency will carry over so choose wisely what you buy from the vendors.

In Rift, PVE raids you!

In Rift, PVE raids you!

During launch it felt like we were liberating the world considering that the first major hub was infested with level 20's. Was epic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Quick tip for graphics - make a toon that has low settings for big events and have another toon that has high settings for normal running around. Then go to options and Import the settings from each toon as required - easier than changing options.

Btw - I'm on:

AMD athlon II quad core,
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    ATI hd5750
    4 gig of mediocre RAM
    30 meg UPC line

but I'm getting framerates from 30 to 50 on ultra settings with maxed shadows.

I don't think the RAM is the difference (I think the game uses about 1.8gb) and the processors aren't that different.

Tried opening the case and giving it a hoover recently?

Promac wrote: »
    Quick tip for graphics - make a toon that has low settings for big events and have another toon that has high settings for normal running around. Then go to options and Import the settings from each toon as required - easier than changing options.

Btw - I'm on:

AMD athlon II quad core,
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    ATI hd5750
    4 gig of mediocre RAM
    30 meg UPC line

but I'm getting framerates from 30 to 50 on ultra settings with maxed shadows.

I don't think the RAM is the difference (I think the game uses about 1.8gb) and the processors aren't that different.

Tried opening the case and giving it a hoover recently?

This is strange. We have fairly similar setups. I updated my drivers and turned off Fraps but I'm still getting only 17FPS in empty areas and 3 in heavily populated areas! Opening the case is the only thing I haven't done but I'm not sure what the issue could be.

And now this is even more confusing.
    Last night after turning off Fraps and updating the drivers, I dropped the resolution to 800x600 and put everything on minimum and was still getting only about 17FPS ???

I have AMD fusion which lets me turn off all unnecessary services and tweak the GPU. I normally gets me some improvements on a game but with Rift, it made no difference at all.

The only other thing is that the game is installed on my 1.5TB drive that I have all my games on. I might try moving it to the c: that just has the OS and a few other apps.

I actually haven't updated the drivers in a while. I'm on 10.7 and I think the latest is 11.something. Maybe try downgrading if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Wayne are you using any of the combat parsers that are available? I tried one of them and it was hammering my processor and causing a massive fps drop.

With the exception of processor (don't know whether RIFT will run better on 2 faster cores or 4 slower ones) your specs are all better than mine. I'm on the latest ATI drivers as of about 2 weeks ago.

And now this is even more confusing.
    Last night after turning off Fraps and updating the drivers, I dropped the resolution to 800x600 and put everything on minimum and was still getting only about 17FPS ???

I have AMD fusion which lets me turn off all unnecessary services and tweak the GPU. I normally gets me some improvements on a game but with Rift, it made no difference at all.

The only other thing is that the game is installed on my 1.5TB drive that I have all my games on. I might try moving it to the c: that just has the OS and a few other apps.

The hard drive will only affect loading times unless you don't have enough RAM and it has to use the page-file a lot.

Maybe check the temp in your case - do you have a decent cooler on the CPU?

I'm also running at 1920x1080 (40" Sony Bravia ftw).

Could be that the specific model of graphics card is just buggy with this game - happens a lot with the ATI cards.

Wayne are you using any of the combat parsers that are available? I tried one of them and it was hammering my processor and causing a massive fps drop.

With the exception of processor (don't know whether RIFT will run better on 2 faster cores or 4 slower ones) your specs are all better than mine. I'm on the latest ATI drivers as of about 2 weeks ago.

No I'm not using any of the combat parsers. According to someone on the Rift Forums, my processor is the problem, the key being that I dropped all graphics settings and saw no improvement.

According to their system requirements a processor at 2.4GHz should be ok, definitely shouldn't cause that much of a drop.

Promac wrote: »
    The hard drive will only affect loading times unless you don't have enough RAM and it has to use the page-file a lot.

Maybe check the temp in your case - do you have a decent cooler on the CPU?

I'm also running at 1920x1080 (40" Sony Bravia ftw).

Could be that the specific model of graphics card is just buggy with this game - happens a lot with the ATI cards.

I'll check the temp tonight, maybe see if the fan is a bit clogged.
    Thing is, no other games are performing this badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

No I'm not using any of the combat parsers. According to someone on the Rift Forums, my processor is the problem, the key being that I dropped all graphics settings and saw no improvement.

According to their system requirements a processor at 2.4GHz should be ok, definitely shouldn't cause that much of a drop.

You're right. My processors don't even meet the requirements (2.0GHz) and I have no problem running the game. The only slow down I do have is while patching due to hardwaredetector.exe eating up everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

I've been playing on Icewatch due to a couple of Lotro guildies deceiding on that server....

My thoughts so far.....

1. Everything seems very compressed. I have hit level 20 this morning and I reckon the world area I have seen is about the same as the Shire in Lotro.

2. Hate being sent to quest hubs to revist areas that you have already finished with but this time picking up higher level quests.

3. A feature which many people see as a bonus I really hate. Roles are so customisable that every one can spec as a tank, healer, dps. There is no clear role for each class.

4. Rifts: There can be so many of these and at times that are spawned in the area that you need to quest. You have to sit and wait until people come to clear the mobs.

5. The PVP area I have seen is very small and wasnt much fun. I know this is probably minor as people will out level it and move on to other pvp areas(which I have yet to experience).

6. There is not much noticable difference for many of the skills. And the global cooldown on skills means that with my Warrier I can sit there and just spam the same highest hitting skill over and over with little point in using any others.

There are some good points as well......

1. Quest items being usable from the quest tracker. No looking in your bags to find items.

2. Recognition for healing in pvp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Played it a bit last night, have a lvl 7 Ascend Rogue with Nightblade/Ranger/Bard going on Quicksilver.

So far I like it. It's reminding me of all the bits from WoW that I enjoyed. Going to level up and bit and do more quests before looking at the rifts

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

BizzyC wrote: »
    Played it a bit last night, have a lvl 7 Ascend Rogue with Nightblade/Ranger/Bard going on Quicksilver.

So far I like it. It's reminding me of all the bits from WoW that I enjoyed. Going to level up and bit and do more quests before looking at the rifts
    Honestly there's no reason not to get stuck into rifts from the get-go. They can drop nice loot, they can be a lot of fun when everyone gets stuck in, they probably are visually the best part of the game and the penalties for death in the game really are minimal:)

I generally just quest until a rift opens up near me, and go and close it. If there's a major rift or an invasion, i'll go out of my way to get there though, as the rewards are excellent.

My only problem with the game at the moment is how little i get to play it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I generally just quest until a rift opens up near me, and go and close it. If there's a major rift or an invasion, i'll go out of my way to get there though, as the rewards are excellent.

My only problem with the game at the moment is how little i get to play it :(

Haha, same here! Life is pwning Rift for me at the moment. MEH! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Just bought it (and a new 460 GTX :D). Downloading it from D2D. Can't waaaaaaiiiit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Hit level 37 tonight on my Rogue but found something odd, I was using main Bard soul build with a few points in Ranger soul to get the Razorbeast pet.
    I nearly died while getting the pet to tank a level 39 boss as part of a quest, only noticing the pet didn't scale with my level and I can't train up any more levels in it unless I put more points in Ranger to get the improved Razorbeast - and even at that, that one only scales to level 42 ?

Unless it's bugged for me, if it's meant to be that way, that kind of sucks big time as a Ranger build becomes useless after 42 if the pets don't scale and it's pointless taking the pet if you're over 30 as the normal razorbeast stops gaining levels at 30 !
    Bah !

Other than that, at this level the wait times for pvp warfronts are kind of long due to not many levelling up that high yet I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Level 37 in 3 days?
    Where did you get the time to do that?

It's taken me about 4 hours of play to get to Level 11!

I've an army of little Chinese lads under the table :D

It's more than 3 days though, it's since the headstart whenever that was.
    I'm not even going fast either, spend more time messing about with talents/souls and exploring the place than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Lorenzomedici

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Hit level 37 tonight on my Rogue but found something odd, I was using main Bard soul build with a few points in Ranger soul to get the Razorbeast pet.
    I nearly died while getting the pet to tank a level 39 boss as part of a quest, only noticing the pet didn't scale with my level and I can't train up any more levels in it unless I put more points in Ranger to get the improved Razorbeast - and even at that, that one only scales to level 42 ?

Unless it's bugged for me, if it's meant to be that way, that kind of sucks big time as a Ranger build becomes useless after 42 if the pets don't scale and it's pointless taking the pet if you're over 30 as the normal razorbeast stops gaining levels at 30 !
    Bah !

Other than that, at this level the wait times for pvp warfronts are kind of long due to not many levelling up that high yet I guess.

The improved Razorbeast has ranks, just like the standard one. Rank1 caps at level42, further ranks allow it to go to 50. The reason pets have caps is so you don't take ranger with zero points in it and get a pet at level50..... you want to be a ranger, you invest in ranger :)

Advertisement