Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I can't make my character on the guilds server even though I bought the game pre-launch? Its "grayed" out for me :S

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I can't make my character on the guilds server even though I bought the game pre-launch? Its "grayed" out for me :S

Servers were down for 2 hours hence the grayed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

The improved Razorbeast has ranks, just like the standard one. Rank1 caps at level42, further ranks allow it to go to 50. The reason pets have caps is so you don't take ranger with zero points in it and get a pet at level50..... you want to be a ranger, you invest in ranger :)

Yeah I read a bit on their forums this morning about all of this. While I understand the reasons behind it and actually agree with the concept, it's still annoying for me :)

Anyway, I've two great builds working for me now perfect on the rogue with neither having any downtime whatsoever. The third soul I use for pvp mostly. The pet was handy at lower levels for tanking elites but once you've figured out your melee builds and what works best, it doesn't matter much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Your pets get upgraded when you train - don't need to spend points in 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wa

On what server are Boards.ie dudes? 1 hr left to download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Wa

guild name is DEMACIA on the bloodiron eu pvp server guardian side
    we will give ya vent details when you contact us.

post from guild thread. answers my q :p

Dinged 40 Saturday morning on the Rogue. Haven't enough for the improved mount yet though, only 22plat so far and most of that from selling stacks of silk cloth. Would've had more if not for all the soul respecs I was doing - 30+ odd gold now per respec it's costing me :)

For what it's worth, here is the build I'm running with on the Rogue, it's zero downtime, mobs up to 3 levels above me are usually dead in less time than it takes for stealth to reset + I can take on packs of mobs on a bad pull and still come out with 100% health at the end.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MpMV.VIoh0o.MARfz0boddR.V0z

Always stealth before a pull, cast expose weakness on the mob first while stealth then open with Jagged Strike, then puncture, then final blow - mob is at 50% or less health at this stage so just use Savage Strike and Reprisal if it pops up, no other finisher as you want to end with as many combo points on the mob as possible to heal up your health to 100% at the end.

If you pull packs by accident, just spam Twin Strike.

Use Enduring Brew if you have to heal yourself a little on pack pulls.

I'll be putting another point in Assassination at 41 so I can pick up the Impale finisher.

Dinged 40 Saturday morning on the Rogue. Haven't enough for the improved mount yet though, only 22plat so far and most of that from selling stacks of silk cloth. Would've had more if not for all the soul respecs I was doing - 30+ odd gold now per respec it's costing me

Tell about it, im lvl 36 atm on my mage with only 21 plat , ive actually stopped crafting for now as it was costing so much.
    Im saving for the mount now instead,like you i also spent alot on respeccing and upgrades skills etc.

It gets better in 40 zones. I gained 22 plat since that post (and another level).
    Mobs now dropping the next cloth up from silk, compound I think it is, which sells for a lot per stack.
    Reckon I won't bother with the 90% mount at this stage and just keep saving for 110% mount at 50 instead.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    It gets better in 40 zones. I gained 22 plat since that post (and another level).
    Mobs now dropping the next cloth up from silk, compound I think it is, which sells for a lot per stack.
    Reckon I won't bother with the 90% mount at this stage and just keep saving for 110% mount at 50 instead.

Good to hear mate, good plan about the mount too.
    Are you in the boards guild btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The lag on the Bloodiron server about now is seriously killer. I disco'd a few times and spent five minutes looking at the same screen. I exited and am pretty sure I'm dead by now.

Dcully wrote: »
    Good to hear mate, good plan about the mount too.
    Are you in the boards guild btw?

Nah, I play on the US server Deepwood. Not interested in playing on European servers on any MMO again, ever.

Ended up I bought a 90% mount today, and I've another 60+ plat left over, making so much from grinding mobs it doesn't matter.
    It won't be hard to get the 110% mount if you really wanted it but honestly, there's not an awful lot of difference even between the standard 60% and the 90% mount, so dunno how much of a realistic bonus the 110% mount will be really.

Levelling wise, apart from rifts if you can either find a group at the higher levels or solo them, grinding mobs is much faster than questing - which is a shame. Quests all seem pretty boring/crap too.
    Go here, go there, run here, run there, get this, kill these mobs, blah blah blah... same old stuff, no ingenuity at all.

Can see myself grinding through the last 8 levels more than likely, with a few rifts and warfronts thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

so been a week/2 since the game have been released, how has it been for everyone? want to wait a bit of time before playing/buying it, but it seems like people are enjoying it a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Columc wrote: »
    so been a week/2 since the game have been released, how has it been for everyone? want to wait a bit of time before playing/buying it, but it seems like people are enjoying it a lot

I'd hang off longer chief, people are still levelling, I'd wait till we see what endgame content is like, like I always say, it makes or breaks an MMO

But I'm hearing the levelling experience is good alright. But thats a small fraction of the MMO experience, really want to see what that the endgame is like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

A slightly different take on that is, if you dont mind spending €31 (amazon) for presumably 30 days play, you're probably better doing that now when the game is new to everyone, than joining later when many others are higher levels and it's no longer a shared experience.

Like all MMOs, I think you should approach it expecting 30 days for the cost of the game, enjoy the journey, and if it turns into something more long term, great.

Im really enjoying it,so much to do.
    World pvp is immense at times.
    The other night im was heading back to our outpost to hand in 3 quests only to see the quest Npc`s engaged with a huge invasion, the defiant players arrived on mass trying to aid the invasion and take over the outpost and kill us Guardians.
    A huge battle errupted which lasted for about 2 hours,wave after wave of NPC invasions and Defiant jumping in.
    By the time the NPC invasions stopped there was easily 60-70 Defiant players still trying to take us over,word got around obviously and withing 20 mins there was atleast 200 players in total duking it out, absolutely brilliant stuff, reminded me of the old school tarren mill pvp in wow only this was on a huge scale.
    Eventually i got to hand in my quests, totally epic gaming lads,personally ive subbed to rift for 3 months,its all about end game ofcourse but being honest id be happy rifting away @ max level with raiding and world pvp thrown in.
    Ofcourse it remains to be seen but strangely i have faith in Trion, they seem to listen to the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I think that the pacing of the quests is also very well done in Rift.
    Unlike WoW when you reach a certain level and need to go off to find an area that have quests for your level, the main story quests keep you moving so you're always in the right area for quests at your level.

BizzyC wrote: »
    I think that the pacing of the quests is also very well done in Rift.
    Unlike WoW when you reach a certain level and need to go off to find an area that have quests for your level, the main story quests keep you moving so you're always in the right area for quests at your level.

They have fixed this in cataclysm.

Dcully, that sounds really really cool, what level range would that be for anyways? and isn't the max level 50?

TheDoc, Aye i know gonna be holding off till end game a small bit, but if the pvp really is that good, i don't mind to much about the pve not being as good!

but if the pvp really is that good, i don't mind to much about the pve not being as good!

It is that good, even on pve servers :)
    People will piss and moan (not on here, I mean in game) about some classes being overpowered or underpowered but really, I find it all fairly balanced.
    Warriors maybe, at least a well played and spec'd warrior, do seem a little overpowered but there's always ways and means.
    Fantastic fun with the pvp, really makes the game for me.
    Warfronts (battlegrounds) die off at the later levels as you wait for more people to level up but it will all even out eventually. Should be great fun at 50 when the full potential of classes and soul specs unlock for people.

Also, not sure if some of you have realised yet but you can get the ability to call for help from your sides npc's when taking over a wardstone or whatever.
    Do it on your opponent, even if you're not outnumbered, good fun :D

Also, if you're a rogue, don't pass up on the fun of being Sabo soul spec for pvp, man is that such good fun blowing people up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Nehaxak wrote: »
    It is that good, even on pve servers :)
    People will piss and moan (not on here, I mean in game) about some classes being overpowered or underpowered but really, I find it all fairly balanced.
    Warriors maybe, at least a well played and spec'd warrior, do seem a little overpowered but there's always ways and means.
    Fantastic fun with the pvp, really makes the game for me.
    Warfronts (battlegrounds) die off at the later levels as you wait for more people to level up but it will all even out eventually. Should be great fun at 50 when the full potential of classes and soul specs unlock for people.

Also, not sure if some of you have realised yet but you can get the ability to call for help from your sides npc's when taking over a wardstone or whatever.
    Do it on your opponent, even if you're not outnumbered, good fun :D

Iv argued on chat and pretty much had everyone agree that the general RIFT forums are a rag tag of trolls and QQ'rs and don't know how to play.

Every class is OP. And every class is UP. They all have varying weaknesses which can be easily exploited but lazy ass players prefer to just cry about it and ask for nerfs. The way it is i have zero problem with any class in game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This looks impressive,would ye recommend it to a mmo noob?how much a month is it?

First month is free with the game.
    One thing that can get annoying is the rifts/footholds right where you need to go..

Played for about an hour and a half last night, got practically no quests done. Spent the most of my time trying to clear mobs out of the way...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Im really enjoying it,so much to do.
    World pvp is immense at times.
    The other night im was heading back to our outpost to hand in 3 quests only to see the quest Npc`s engaged with a huge invasion, the defiant players arrived on mass trying to aid the invasion and take over the outpost and kill us Guardians.
    A huge battle errupted which lasted for about 2 hours,wave after wave of NPC invasions and Defiant jumping in.
    By the time the NPC invasions stopped there was easily 60-70 Defiant players still trying to take us over,word got around obviously and withing 20 mins there was atleast 200 players in total duking it out, absolutely brilliant stuff, reminded me of the old school tarren mill pvp in wow only this was on a huge scale.
    Eventually i got to hand in my quests, totally epic gaming lads,personally ive subbed to rift for 3 months,its all about end game ofcourse but being honest id be happy rifting away @ max level with raiding and world pvp thrown in.
    Ofcourse it remains to be seen but strangely i have faith in Trion, they seem to listen to the community.

You've just converted me! I'll pick this up this evening :)

Just to add, there is one thing im disappointed with as i level up ,there is little to no rifting going on since i left the starting area.
    Im lvl 41 now and tired of looking for people to do rifts.
    In the starting areas everyone was rifting away,since then ive seen a hand full and only 4-5 people taking part.
    Im hoping this changes at max level because to me its a huge part of why i play the game and what sets it apart from other MMO`s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

How's the end game content?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Krieg wrote: »
    How's the end game content?

Probably the same as any other mmo that's just been released.I really wonder why people who play WoW* actually ask that about any game that's just released.. What was WoW endgame content like on release ? :o

* Not aimed at you specifically or saying that you even play WoW but it's been mentioned a few times by WoW players already.Seems quite bizarre.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Probably the same as any other mmo that's just been released.I really wonder why people who play WoW* actually ask that about any game that's just released.. What was WoW endgame content like on release ? :o

* Not aimed at you specifically or saying that you even play WoW but it's been mentioned a few times by WoW players already.Seems quite bizarre.

Well since there are already people at the highest level, I am just wondering if the game is worth the time and effort you put into it, as in once you reach max level is there some sort of content that will keep you busy, and is it enjoyable.

Whats the point to play for 3 weeks and find out that there is noting to do yet.

On other topics, i started today, Nick Vanyd and joined the guild. Got to level 10 in around an hour and 10 min, was just strolling around probably easy to get to that level fast. Enjoying the game so far, already done a rift and the likes. Cant wait to do a bit of PvP and research better on what souls i want to be my main.

Just to add, there is one thing im disappointed with as i level up ,there is little to no rifting going on since i left the starting area.
    Im lvl 41 now and tired of looking for people to do rifts.
    In the starting areas everyone was rifting away,since then ive seen a hand full and only 4-5 people taking part.
    Im hoping this changes at max level because to me its a huge part of why i play the game and what sets it apart from other MMO`s.

More than likely down to people not levelling up as fast as others. There are weekly guild quests though which help to get more people together for rifting, also some raid rifts which require more detailed attention.

I've solo'd most of the rifts anyway, just get your ascended powers and cast the one which gives you 100% extra damage and 75% less incoming damage for the last elite in the higher level rifts and you should be ok. Take all the rewards for yourself while you can, and the higher level area's are still quiet enough :)

• Advertisement

What's a better combo for a non-raiding (not yet anyway) rogue;
    Ranger, Nightblade, Bard or
    Ranger, Nightblade, Saboteur?

I'm at level 20 now, only really find myself using the Nightblade and Ranger skills in combat, rarely use the Bard skills.

Advertisement