Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

^^ Ranger + Marksman until you're near 30. Most people doing that as a Rogue.
    Put more points in Ranger than Marksman for solo levelling.

Otherwise if you prefer melee rather than ranged stuff, go Assassin/Rift/Blade

Here's a build for level 20 for you, as Assassin mainly but points in Riftstalker to get to Rift Scavenger so you have no downtime at all, can farm mobs endlessly - just remember to end with combo points on the mob if you want to recover health :)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MpMV.Vf0b.0ARc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Nehaxak wrote: »
    ^^ Ranger + Marksman until you're near 30. Most people doing that as a Rogue.
    Put more points in Ranger than Marksman for solo levelling.

Otherwise if you prefer melee rather than ranged stuff, go Assassin/Rift/Blade

Here's a build for level 20 for you, as Assassin mainly but points in Riftstalker to get to Rift Scavenger so you have no downtime at all, can farm mobs endlessly - just remember to end with combo points on the mob if you want to recover health :)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MpMV.Vf0b.0ARc

Cheers, might give that Assasin build a try... that rift scavenger ability looks very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Gonna be buying a copy friday, anyone know if HMV in Galway stock it ?

Monthly dl limit on my net is 15gb so i cant dl online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Gonna be buying a copy friday, anyone know if HMV in Galway stock it ?

Monthly dl limit on my net is 15gb so i cant dl online

JIMMY?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

d22ontour wrote: »
    Probably the same as any other mmo that's just been released.I really wonder why people who play WoW* actually ask that about any game that's just released.. What was WoW endgame content like on release ? :o

* Not aimed at you specifically or saying that you even play WoW but it's been mentioned a few times by WoW players already.Seems quite bizarre.

Pretty simple tbh.

WoW had some decent end game content on its release, but more importantly there is alot of fine tuned content now.

The biggest problem for any MMO is pulling the market share from woW, and the reason being is that they are the trend setters, they have years of experience and fine tuned, vastly engulfing end game content.

And as a player, I find it daunting to go into a new MMO, completely oblivious to what I'm doing, start at level 1 not knowing anyone and levelling a new character.

Whats worse is getting to that high level to find there is **** all to do when your max and that the endgame is brutal.

I'm looking at you Aion....

• Advertisement

Columc wrote: »
    JIMMY?

Hey Colm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Wow's end-game content at launch was UBRS raids for Tier 1. I lol at your idea of end-game content.

Rift has heroics that require a decent level of gear, which leads to more difficult heroics and better gear, which leads to raiding. All with Rift raiding thrown into the mix.

I'll admit, it's no UBRS but...

As long as there is decent open world pvp ill be happy :D

Only thing that has me worried is how fast people are getting to max level , in wow/daoc its 2 months where released on this maybe 2 weeks, the developers putting themselves under big pressure for endgame content

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

RIFT Devs have said from the start that they want the game to be endgame driven, and that the leveling should be quick enough so everyone gets into endgame.

Well I dinged 50 on my rogue early this morning, still gearing up but I've 140 +hit, which I'm told is more than enough, some telling me 70+ hit is fine.

Farming witchweave and spellspun silk cloths from mobs in Stillmoor helping me load up the plat, along with rare drops from same mobs. Helps that there's not a huge amount of level 50's farming mobs yet, can have a whole courtyard of level 50 mobs to myself for ages - round and round we go, farm farm farm...

Bladedancer for Rogue is the ultimate multimob farming no downtime spec btw, actually it's the only one the works effectively really.

• Advertisement

Oh and warfront pvp at 50 ? :rolleyes:

Honestly, don't expect much unless you happen to get in a warfront where half your team is a premade, otherwise you're more than likely playing a facerolling premade on the opposite side. Oh and whoever said warriors are not overpowered and wait until you're 50 - well now, let's see how it goes then...

Stun, half health gone, stun, dead. Nearly 7k health gone in ooh, about 4 seconds. Don't expect much at 50 in warfront pvp.

Port Scion is just weird, hard to explain now really. Guardian's seem to rule it though, dunno why, but I haven't lost a game yet at all.

Pick up the sourcestones and bring to boss, guard the bridge, kill Defiant. That's about it, which is grand, it's just, well, you'll see for yourself when you get to 50 :D

So whats a good spec to go for xping from scratch as a Rogue ?

Also 1 more question say i have the box bought and i want to play the game on another computer like in a net cafe befor ei install it at home, how do i register the account, thanks for helpful replies

Install at a netcafe? Why on earth would you do that?

I've been going with a Ranger, NightBlade, Rifstalker combo primarily lately, seems to be a good balance for single player stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Installed this last night! Good fun too...

I started with a mage, went to lvl 7, then tried a rogue on Defiant side...have to say, enjoyed the rogue a little more...Felt more involved then when playing with the mage!

BizzyC wrote: »
    Install at a netcafe? Why on earth would you do that?

I've been going with a Ranger, NightBlade, Rifstalker combo primarily lately, seems to be a good balance for single player stuff.

The game is already installed in the net cafe, i just want to know how do i register my account to play in the net cafe is all :D

Note i wouldnt have installed the game at home or registered/played it yet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    The game is already installed in the net cafe, i just want to know how do i register my account to play in the net cafe is all :D

Note i wouldnt have installed the game at home or registered/played it yet

Im pretty sure you just need to make an account and then log in using your name and password at the netcafe if indeed they have the game installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Yeah, you'll add your CD key to your game account via the rift websites account management section. Then just log in on any client with your credentials and play away.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    One issue I have is my computer... Well, not nessecarily the computer itself but my GFX card... Heck I barely get 30-50 FPS in uncrowded WoW area's so the idea of Rift working at a visually acceptable level on this comp seems slim to none.

What gfx card is it ? You *should* be ok, you can adjust settings to suit and if Nvidia, change settings beforehand in the nvidia control panel to help.
    Run in fullscreen rather than windowed for better/steadier fps.
    I use a Nvidia 285gtx and although not spectacular, it's doing grand with the game, 1900x1200 @ above Ultra settings with shadows off and AA off (both software implemented in game so I'm led to believe so a gfx hog on both) - I get a steady 40+ fps and most times 60 (I have vsync on).

Shadows and AA seem to be a huge drag on the FPS.
    is the subscription payments 100% handled via online? I assume it doesn't have the Gamecard system that WOW has.

Don't think it has gamecards at all but you can use paypal, which is pretty cool.
    Can someone give some indication of wether the game is a GFX Hog - ie does it have a decent amount of options to tweak the look to suit a slightly older card?

It is a gfx hog but you can adjust it right down to suit. The graphics are lovely though :)

If using Nvidia card, install and run EVGA Precision V2.0.2 (or better!) and set a fan profile up to keep the card from overheating at all in large rifts/raids or heavy pvp sessions. It helps an awful lot.
    If I did buy the game I'd likely follow the trend I have in WoW, and thats of me having a DoT class (Shadow Priest) - It may help to encourage me to play if people can give some inspirational points on DoT roles in Rift ;)

Mage class then I guess would suit you, it's not really a DOT type of game though, most classes have one sort of dot or another (bleeds, fire etc., etc.,) but they're on low timers so as not to be too overpowered - as in you can't do a dot and run type scenario.

I will be honest with you, the end game is not really there at the moment, some expert dungeons and so on but it's still early days and very promising.

Pvp @ 50 - at the moment anyway (while waiting on the masses to level up) isn't that great in the warfronts (battlegrounds) and is a complete arse if you're up against premades in the Black Garden warfront. The other warfronts, Whitefall and Codex, it doesn't matter if you're up against a premade (so long as you play Guardian!) as they're both large play area's and hard to control completely with a premade.

Port Scion (level 50 warfront) is weird, but I like it a lot and get tons of prestige and favour points from it. Prestige for PVP rank and favour are the raw honour points type currency.

Don't roll Defiant, honestly, their really bad at pvp. Guardian are a less population overall supposedly but have shorter warfront queue times and even the Guardian pugs are pretty damn cool to run with, rarely lose. For Port Scion @ 50 - I've only lost one single game and that was via losing by 7 points, so was very close.

For those of you that don't know yet, there are puzzles and hidden "Cairns" in each area, some have a couple cairns.
    For each you complete or each Cairn you find, you get a bloody nice reward. Have looted a few nice epics from the puzzles and cairns myself over the last couple of days, all BOE - kept two and sold the rest - was up to 170 plat today before I bought the 110% epic mount :)

There's a map over at rift junkies site which gives exact details of the location of each puzzle or cairn, well worth looking into to either get yourself some epic/blue gear or something to sell for a fair few plat on your auction house.

Another thing, don't worry about platinum, once you hit 50 you'll make a ton of it from mobs/quests/dailies or from selling artefacts or the higher level cloths that drop from mobs, like spellspun silk or witchweave.

• Advertisement

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Extremely tempted to convert from WoW - I've done nothing but harp on about how little I have to do in the game and the bits and pieces I've read and seen about Rift are a constant temptation, I think it's time for a new experience after 5 years of running around Azeroth.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy WoW/Cataclysm but at the stage I'm at in the game my enjoyment has wholly become reliant on other people for Arena & other Content because I literally do not have to do anything else by myself.

One issue I have is my computer... Well, not nessecarily the computer itself but my GFX card... Heck I barely get 30-50 FPS in uncrowded WoW area's so the idea of Rift working at a visually acceptable level on this comp seems slim to none.

Few questions:

I would assume GAME in Galway have it - If so, is the subscription payments 100% handled via online? I assume it doesn't have the Gamecard system that WOW has.

Can someone give some indication of wether the game is a GFX Hog - ie does it have a decent amount of options to tweak the look to suit a slightly older card?

If I did buy the game I'd likely follow the trend I have in WoW, and thats of me having a DoT class (Shadow Priest) - It may help to encourage me to play if people can give some inspirational points on DoT roles in Rift ;)

Game in Galway dont have it, HMV prolly do, i was in too much of a hurry to check tho :D

Yeah I dunno about that card, seems a bit too old for rift really, or at least to play it at it's best. Suppose you could run rift in the low quality renderer mode, it's not actually that bad looking either.

On another note, I got another Shard first with http://yfrog.com/f/jj20110315020752j/

RiftStalker for the win, 10 Sourcestone captures in one game.
    Can you believe we still lost that game too, the rest of them were retarded, going around killing worthless elite NPC's, I got us over half the points in that game :mad:

What's the best stand alone profession to take up for making money?

I'm already doing well with Butchery and Outfitting, but I dont know what to do with the 3 one; mining, foraging, runecrafting?

At the moment i have runecrafting, but i cant get materials cause my skill isn't high enough to break down 99% of runebreakable stuff i get...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So before I dive into it this weekend, is everyone still enjoying it?

Yes for me. Pvp rank 2, third of the way to rank 3. Warfront queue's getting better as more level up.

It's an awful grind though PVE wise, both professions and reputation with factions. I think so anyway, others might differ.

There are Timecards/gamecards now btw, not sure where you'd buy them in Ireland mind but they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So my only previous experience with MMOs was Warhammer Online, which I enjoyed but stopped because I didn't really have enough time to play it properly, and it started getting a bit pants if you were just a casual player.

I really enjoyed the consistent PvP element of it though - is there anything approaching the level of PvP in Rift? I'm considering getting it, but I don't really like PvE (unless it's part of a group that I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Rift has a lot of similar elements to WAR. Chances are you will enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Rift has a lot of similar elements to WAR. Chances are you will enjoy it.

How so? (Similar elements, I mean - does it have consistent PvP environments?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Rifts seem a bit like the collective effort public quests for one

Advertisement