Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Wossack wrote: »
    I think it is alright. Theres a free 7 day trial that'll give you a good feel for the game.

For better or worse, there are alot of similarities with WoW

But the highlight for me so far is the class system. It's just very well done. On the face of it, it doesnt look like you've alot of choice - just 4 classes, but then each class gets 8 'souls', of which you can pick any 3. If you know WoW, these souls are like different talent tree's. On top of that then, you can have a number of builds, which you can switch in and out of at will (just not when in combat)

Bit complicated that, but long story short is - Im wandering around as a melee DPS rogue doing my thing, party forms to beat on some invading mobs, and I on-the-fly respec to support class, as the party had too many DPS.
    Same thing for dungeons/instances. 'Careful guys, this boss has a nasty AOE', que me re-specing to my ranged DPS for this one fight.

Interesting indeed, the class system must allow for some Diverse and fun PvP situations ?

Just scrolling through the class types , I was thinking of maybe a cleric type, perhaps even so bold as to be a healer again

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Wossack wrote: »

But the highlight for me so far is the class system. It's just very well done. On the face of it, it doesnt look like you've alot of choice - just 4 classes, but then each class gets 8 'souls', of which you can pick any 3. If you know WoW, these souls are like different talent tree's. On top of that then, you can have a number of builds, which you can switch in and out of at will (just not when in combat)

Im probably in the minority but this is one thing I didnt like about the game. Everyone can be a tank/healer/dps so everyone if a jack of all trades rather then being built to be good at a certain thing...

Lister1 wrote: »
    Im probably in the minority but this is one thing I didnt like about the game. Everyone can be a tank/healer/dps so everyone if a jack of all trades rather then being built to be good at a certain thing...

This is true , I do like the ability to be "unique", I played healers in DAoC in the beginning so I was getting PM's constantly from half way across the realm !!! asking to come exp with people !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

well initially with the lower tiered dungeons, I'd agree with the jack of all trades, but later on I do think you'll need the gear and the skill in the role you're playing to be of any use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Unless you are a mage :P. They can get away with one set of gear for dps/healing.
    Although one mage soul (chloromancer, the healing soul) is set to be getting a fairly severe rework in the upcoming 1.3 patch, while the Stormcaller is getting nerfed :(.

Just get the trial and you'll get an idea if you like it.

• Advertisement

morgana wrote: »
    Unless you are a mage :P. They can get away with one set of gear for dps/healing.
    Although one mage soul (chloromancer, the healing soul) is set to be getting a fairly severe rework in the upcoming 1.3 patch, while the Stormcaller is getting nerfed :(.

Just get the trial and you'll get an idea if you like it.

The First class I chose to play , fantastic , oh well he is only level 5 or so :(((((

What server are you guys on ? I kind wanna play a PvP server, and what faction. Just started the trial, I might remake to a pyro or something for teh lulz

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any current subscribers able to confirm free character transfers are now up and running?
    I think by my guesstimation the patch of it amongst others arrived yesterday?

Yes up and running and working flawlessly.
    Make sure you have no mail in mailbox and no auctions running.
    If you are in a guild that has transferred as a guild you will be given the option to transfer to that server.
    Otherwise is just clicking clicking on the character you want to transfer on the selection screen and click on Transfer. Takes a few seconds.
    You can transfer off any shard, list of transfer destination shards (may change)
    Defiant:
    European Allowed Destination Shards -
    Defiant
    ENGLISH
    Argent - PvE-RP
    Blightweald - PvE
    Bloodiron - PvP
    Cloudborne - PvP
    Firesand - PvP-RP
    Icewatch - PvE
    Riptalon - PvE
    Sagespire - PvP
    Shivermere - PvP
    Steampike - PvE
    Whitefall - PvP

Guardian
    Argent - PvE-RP
    Blightweald - PvE
    Bloodiron - PvP
    Cloudborne - PvP
    Firesand - PvP-RP
    Icewatch - PvE
    Riptalon - PvE
    Sagespire - PvP
    Shivermere - PvP
    Whitefall - PvP

Cheers mate, any suggestions on a high population PVE server?

Hard to say, Blightweald seems pretty popular still and Riptalon allegedly has peak time queues. I am on Argent (Defiant) which is med population but has a very nice community (the actual amount of RP is quite low - I am not a RPer but like the more mature type of person an RP server attracts). We are hoping to get some more people on the server :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

morgana wrote: »
    Hard to say, Blightweald seems pretty popular still and Riptalon allegedly has peak time queues. I am on Argent (Defiant) which is med population but has a very nice community (the actual amount of RP is quite low - I am not a RPer but like the more mature type of person an RP server attracts). We are hoping to get some more people on the server :)

Think I'll give Argent a go. Although I've only a Guardian character.

Any improvements on waiting times with the looking for group tool?
    Im thinking of resubbing in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Got an email from Trion about Rift for for €11.99 from 30 June - 6 July with some xp boost item as part of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Anyone know if any shops in Dublin are selling time cards for this? my credit card is banjaxed so can't use it for monthly billing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Mr_Man!

^^^ This.
    Although, not only just in Dublin bitte. On the website they say Gamestop do.

I got the following email this morning but im confused as i have not resubbed to the game in months and i have never used a timecard for any MMO.
    I thought my account may have been hacked but i have the authenticator on it.

On Jul 20, 2011, the time included on your Game Time Card or Initial Period has expired and your access to RIFT is now deactivated.

To resume your access to RIFT, please update your Trion Worlds (TM) account with a new Game Time Card. You can also activate a subscription with a credit card or PayPal account.

Sincerely,
    Trion Worlds

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got hacked a while ago, and my credit card was used. The account management site stored my credit card info, and it didn't need any further authentication to re-activate it. You'd probably have noticed if your credit card had been used though. Possible someone used a timecard on your account, but can't see the benefit of that.

Ive sent off an email to trion support to see whats going on.
    I can log into my account fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I got the same mail as well. Looking at my account it seems I had 5 days of access applied on the 13-7. I'm assuming you had as well but didn't see it either.

I code from them to give away. Apparently it's for a free copy of the game + 5 days access. If anyone wants it, just pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So whats the story with rift longitme players?

Endgame makes or breaks an MMO and at this point most people should be in and around the edngame.

Most people I know who took up Rift have long since unsubbed, was this just another flavour of the month ( certainly looks that way anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

Certainly wouldnt say longtime player myself, but my 2c worth

My interest was waning slightly, but has picked up again since the new daily raid rift, and the guild getting more organised to run instances together more regularly, T2 dungeons in particular. Hopefully this should carry on to the more serious end game stuff (10/20 man raid instances).

shall be resubbing another month methinks (been playing 2 so far, ~6 weeks at level cap)

I subbed for 6 months. My plan was that I'd probably cancel after that.
    I play these games really slow in fact I've never hit the level cap in an MMO before quitting.
    I have one character almost at lvl 47 so I'll see what endgame has to offer soon enough. The whole "kill 10 of x" "collect 5 of y" is boring at this stage.

Advertisement