Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Lorenzomedici

The guy in that video is so useless!:p

Thats a zone wide fire invasion event, goes through various stages and ends in an outdoor raid boss. Really cool and gets the whole zone working together, the rewards at the end are damn nice too.

6 days to Beta5!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

What's the story is the beta being done on just one server? Come the head start will you loose all progress that you did in the beta event?

Beta is done over 3 day periods, you can get lucky and get an invite or you can preorder the game and get guaranteed beta access.

Last beta phase there was 3 English servers, 3 German and 2 French. Obviously all beta information is wiped for launch, including any characters you've created.

Im trying to decide what ill role on Tuesday then might try something different to what im going to role for the head start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Tr1PoD

Found this nice pvp video that shows some warrior pwnage.

Keep in mind that he is max level, 27 in previous beta, with fully enchanted/runecrafted gear and has a guild group with dedicated healer etc to back him up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIrgjtcNdL0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

What will seperate this from being another flawed Aion/Warhammer clone and being a WoW beater?

Aion and Warhammer promised so much and while Warhammer did deliver to a degree it in the end failed. Aion on the other hand was a very limited grind fest of the worst kind.

Rift sounds very interesting but wiating to see what other info emerges

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

What will seperate this from being another flawed Aion/Warhammer clone and being a WoW beater?

Aion and Warhammer promised so much and while Warhammer did deliver to a degree it in the end failed. Aion on the other hand was a very limited grind fest of the worst kind.

Rift sounds very interesting but wiating to see what other info emerges
    Aion failed because it was an eastern MMO trying to make nice as a Western MMO. The Developers simply couldn't understand why European/American players didn't enjoy grinding for 8 hours for 1 level and running instances for 2-3 hours only to have no loot drop at the end. By the time they realised these mistakes it was too late and there was no coming back from that.

Warhammer failed because it was rushed, simple as. When it was in mid development and quite spectacular if I do say so myself, they took it back to the drawing board and removed all of the unique features that seperated it from WoW only to try to produce a new WoW clone and failing to do it as good as or better than Blizzard. Then when the game launched, the only unique feature it had was incredibly flawed as the game engine could not handle that many players all frothing at the mouth for some PvP in the RvR lakes. Game performance was atrocious and the developers tried to throw new content at players rather than acknowledging and resolving the technical issues. When Bioware took over development of the game they fixed 90% of the technical issues in a single patch but by then the damage was done and it was/is too late.

What seperates Rift from these two examples is the fact that the game is already more polished than any MMO I've ever seen. And if you could see the Alpha notes, you'd realise how quickly they respond to bugs and general player feedback.
    The game engine is solid as a rock and most importantly the game has a lot of great features. I think Blizzard's greatest achievement was not in their creativity, or Marketing acumen or even their original game intellectual property. It was the simple fact that if they liked a feature and wanted it in their game they would simply copy it from somewhere else and try to improve upon it. Game Developers these days are so terrified of being labelled as a WoW clone that they attempt to reinvent the wheel and fail every time, or worse deliberately try to avoid basic features in an effort to distance themselves from WoW. Rift has demonstrated to me the same ability to adapt existing features of other MMOs and improve upon them. Everything else is secondary, that is the reason I feel this game will be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Im not buying into this yet, ive been burned by , vanguard , spellbound , age of conan,warhammer, aion , that fps one i forget the name !

Im just not buying mmo's anymore all i ever see pre launch is viral marketers or fanboy's or out right lie's. So il wait this one out and see how it post launch.

On the game anyway, race's all look the same, I liked the soul thing i read about and the class system looks nice. But then again everything i read ive heard before...

/a jaded mmo player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Tr1PoD wrote: »
    Found this nice pvp video that shows some warrior pwnage.

Keep in mind that he is max level, 27 in previous beta, with fully enchanted/runecrafted gear and has a guild group with dedicated healer etc to back him up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIrgjtcNdL0

That guy makes it look easy. He is tearing chunks out of people.
    Is that a stamina bar that keeps fluctuating(the yellow one) and are the swords under his character icon the combo build up?

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Im not buying into this yet, ive been burned by , vanguard , spellbound , age of conan,warhammer, aion , that fps one i forget the name !

Im just not buying mmo's anymore all i ever see pre launch is viral marketers or fanboy's or out right lie's. So il wait this one out and see how it post launch.

On the game anyway, race's all look the same, I liked the soul thing i read about and the class system looks nice. But then again everything i read ive heard before...

/a jaded mmo player
    I can certainly appreciate that. I feel bad every time I fall in love with a new MMO because I do nothing but hype it up to anyone that will listen and invariably the MMO falls flat on it's face. I'm not going to lie, the possibility is that this game will be the same...

From my perspective at least, I don't think I've ever purchased an MMO that I haven't played hardcore for at least a month. To me, that is more entertainment than I would get out of a single-player game for the same price. So, I feel at least, that the idea of an MMO that has to be a huge success or that I have to keep playing for a minimum of 6 months, is no longer true.

The last MMO I purchased was Cataclysm expansion for World of Warcraft and I was burnt out within 1 month of solid, hardcore - every free hour - spent playing the game. The last single-player game I purchased, for the same price, I finished in a little under 20 hours and have never touched since.

Still, while I completely agree with your point of view, I would be curious to know where you've heard about similar mechanics in other MMOs/games as we've described in Rift.

• Advertisement

Da Bounca wrote: »
    That guy makes it look easy. He is tearing chunks out of people.
    Is that a stamina bar that keeps fluctuating(the yellow one) and are the swords under his character icon the combo build up?
    The warrior mechanics in Rift are pretty similar to WoW/Rift Rogues. They have an energy bar that refills automatically and they have a "combo" system up to a maximum of 3 "combo points".

Because of only 3 "combo points" they can use their finishers much more frequently but otherwise the mechanics are almost identical. And he makes it look easy because, as Trypod pointed out, he has a pocket healer and a whole guild group focusing his target... that and insane gear and max available level.

So nobody should expect that sort of insanity with warriors and should instead play one of the other loser classes... warriors are all mine!

If this doesn't get you pumped, I don't know what will :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIiraDqzQYU&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I've put my pre-order in on Steam... Rift is the first MMO in a while that really looks interesting. I considered trying DC but apart from the flying it looked a little to WoWish.

Probably going to a ton of these going around but in case you didn't get one here is a VIP key that can be used by up to 25 people and gives access to the rest of the beta events up until launch.

GKNR-FRCL-GKHZ-MWGK-N6HH

To Apply the VIP Code:

Go to https://account.RIFTgame.com to login or create a new account.
    Click "Apply Code" on the left-hand navigation bar and enter your VIP key.
    You're done! You will automatically be invited into the remaining beta events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Nice one Tr1pod. When's the next beta period ?

edit: nm found it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Sarn

Here's another one just in case:

GW7K-Z2CF-JNXT-Z7WP-6GMF

Next beta starts on Tuesday at 6pm.

I think they activate accounts manually and even if you add a key during beta you will still get in but there will be a delay until somebody there gets around to flipping the switch on your account. So best to sign up asap to make sure you are ready to roll on Tuesday.

They have some crazy patch server, always maxes out my download speed and everybody else's from what I hear.

Is there anything Trion won't do? Serious love for the community there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yep, I'm impressed with everything I'm hearing about Trion so far. Here's another key guys if needed:

P3Q3-NPQ6-QLFL-ZXMK-JNED

To Apply the VIP Code:

1. Go to https://account.RIFTgame.com to login or create a new account.
    2. Click "Apply Code" on the left-hand navigation bar and enter your VIP key.
    3. You're done! You will automatically be invited into the remaining beta events.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

kyub wrote: »
    3. You're done! You will automatically be invited into the remaining beta events.

cheers kyub !

Where can I get a link to download so I'm ready for the beta ?

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    cheers kyub !

Where can I get a link to download so I'm ready for the beta ?

When you apply the code go to Manage account and at the bottom it should say you have been invited to the beta and give a download link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Stev_o wrote: »
    When you apply the code go to Manage account and at the bottom it should say you have been invited to the beta and give a download link.

How big is the beta download?

Venom wrote: »
    How big is the beta download?

7.5 Gbs.

However the download is actually superb. Currently maxed out at 800 kbs which is pretty damn good for a server based download.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Stev_o wrote: »
    7.5 Gbs.

However the download is actually superb. Currently maxed out at 800 kbs which is pretty damn good for a server based download.

2.3 MB/s ... downloaded in an hour! Amazingly quick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Playboy wrote: »
    2.3 MB/s ... downloaded in an hour! Amazingingly quick

Yep. same speed here. great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well all installed and ready to go for next beta session on the 25th :0

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 KaiKai

Downloading the beta tonight , this will be my first go at the beta heres a code with 25 uses still, if the others get used up

JTPQ-GXWX-G3HQ-79RN-9ZWR

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

Got my Beta key too. I will see you gents Tuesday night then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

oo excited although im a bit hesitant that the combat system is the same ol just click on the target and press a button rigmarole, waiting for the day when theres something new and better! requiring aim! (diablo3?) :-D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 KaiKai

You should try Darkfall online if you want an mmo you need to aim in :)

Advertisement