Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

cant connect to servers :/ hmm

edit: got in there, just restarted the client, queuing in cloudbourne now 150 in que

edit 2: apparently there is now 250 in the que

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Won't get a chance to try the beta tonight, which might not be a bad thing. I think i'll wait till launch and just pick it up. Looks like i'll enjoy it, even if only for the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Looks promising then again I said the same last year when Aoin came out and the same for warhammer online ect.

Whats it like so far?
    Interested in a blade dancer/night blade Rogue so far from reading about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Columc wrote: »
    cant connect to servers :/ hmm

edit: got in there, just restarted the client, queuing in cloudbourne now 150 in que

edit 2: apparently there is now 250 in the que

In the queue aswell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I'm on Nunca, Lorenzo is on Khruxx and Tr1pod is on Kirnan. Give us a whisper if you roll on Cloudborne.

• Advertisement

got on for 10-15 mins befor servers shut down.

Name is Vanyd on it, quite liking it so far, graphics and effects still a bit laggy, but dont mind that, on a quite old machine until i set up my gaming rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Sarn

I just went to the server with no queue, Argent. At this stage I just want to try out some characters and get a feel for the game. Will worry about a server if I decide to buy on release. Haven't been in long enough to form an impression yet.

anyone on IRC, i created a channel on quakenet #rift.ie if anyone is intrested

So, beta log-in was a bit of a mess. Servers and auth server was crushed to a bug from the assault of new players. Within 2 hours they had a patch to improve server load. Within 3 hours they added 6 new servers.

Several MMOs I've tried had similar batterings of their servers, ongoing for a week or more. Warhammer early access was a disgrace. Trion have handled this beta mess as I would expect any competent MMO publisher/developer to deal with a launch. If that doesn't reassure and impress, then nothing I say will.

Ivan wrote: »
    So, beta log-in was a bit of a mess. Servers and auth server was crushed to a bug from the assault of new players. Within 2 hours they had a patch to improve server load. Within 3 hours they added 6 new servers.

That's actually pretty impressive. Pretty much every MMO launch in recent memory has been a complete disaster, so it would be nice to be able to login and play properly on day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I gave it a quick run last night (20 - 30 mins) just to see what it was like. I missed all the server problems and logged in straight away. Biggest issue is that I can't get more than 15 - 20 fps .

I even turned on their low render mode and restarted. This is with an ATI 5850 and 3GB ram over a UPC 20 - 30 MB connection.

played it for an hour las tnight, quite enjoyed it. Was a bit of a pain trying to log into the game with the servers going down, and the ques.

The way they handled the mass amount of people was quite good, every mmo has their faults at launch da, and this is just a openish beta day, to stress test the servers, see how the servers can cope and try and fix it. WoW expansion release date was terrible, couldnt play for the entire day.

Overall im very impressed with the game, tirions actions in improving it and how they handled it. only thing and it may be me, but i always find communications between the company and customers always a bit lack, ie explaining whast probelms they are facing with, is there any medium(twitter ect) or is it just their website and forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

played it for an hour las tnight, quite enjoyed it. Was a bit of a pain trying to log into the game with the servers going down, and the ques.

The way they handled the mass amount of people was quite good, every mmo has their faults at launch da, and this is just a openish beta day, to stress test the servers, see how the servers can cope and try and fix it. WoW expansion release date was terrible, couldnt play for the entire day.

Overall im very impressed with the game, tirions actions in improving it and how they handled it. only thing and it may be me, but i always find communications between the company and customers always a bit lack, ie explaining whast probelms they are facing with, is there any medium(twitter ect) or is it just their website and forums?

Could try this :
    http://twitter.com/Riftgame

Had a go of this last night, was alright, the similarities to WoW are ridiculous though :) Right down to the same controls for almost everything.
    Not that i'm complaining, i already know how to do everything in the game before i even started.

I rolled a mage but i'm thinking i should've gone rogue. But of course i am only lvl 8 or 9, and i picked necromancer, warlock and dominator. As a high elf.

When i buy the game ima get a rogue. It's be sweet if you could cross archetypes. Like have a rogue/mage. But sure i've still some explorings to do, only at the broken bridge in the high elf start area.

Pretty much wanna ditch college to go play now =D

How long are the servers up for? another 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Until Friday evening 6:00pm GMT.

Xios wrote: »
    Had a go of this last night, was alright, the similarities to WoW are ridiculous though :) Right down to the same controls for almost everything.

when wow came out the similarties it has with other mmo was crazy :)

Had a go of this last night, was alright, the similarities to WoW are ridiculous though :) Right down to the same controls for almost everything./QUOTE]

when wow came out the similarties it has with other mmo was crazy :)

Yeah, the thing is that Trion aren't even attempting to hide the fact that a ton of their game is inspired by WoW right down to UI/game mechanics/visuals etc. They've also said they want to take what works in WoW and other MMO's and improve it in the hopes of eventually perfecting it. More power to them I say because so far this game is pretty damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kurosaki_

Have to say that this game is extremely good in beta right now, much better state than any other recent MMO (War, AoC, FFXIV) and you can tell they really took what they liked above WoW (and what all players like) and then improved everything else to make it different. The 3 soul/talent trees idea is amazing and trying to come up with new combinations is really fun: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html

Does anyone know where you can pre-order this and get it delivered to Ireland for the head start date (24th February)? I want a collector's edition and Game & Gamestop in Cork haven't got a clue about it yet. :(

Champion > Beastmaster > Warlord looks WIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Lorenzomedici

Kurosaki_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can pre-order this and get it delivered to Ireland for the head start date (24th February)? I want a collector's edition and Game & Gamestop in Cork haven't got a clue about it yet. :(

You can get a digital collector's edition from Trion's website which includes all the CE items from the boxed version except for a Soundtrack CD and Hardback comic.

You still get the turtle mount, bigger main inventory etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kurosaki_

You can get a digital collector's edition from Trion's website which includes all the CE items from the boxed version except for a Soundtrack CD and Hardback comic.

You still get the turtle mount, bigger main inventory etc.
    I like having an awesome CE box and getting all the extra stuff from it (USB drive too, poster and some more stuff to what you mentioned above) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Dinged 21 pretty much completed Silver Wood really enjoyed it had some epic invasions and raids very memorable stuff. Cant wait for the headstart.

kyub wrote: »
    Champion > Beastmaster > Warlord looks WIN.
    Champion + Riftblade + PvP soul is my preferred PvP spec, of which I'm doing a lot of at the moment.

Champion + Riftblade + Warlord is my preferred PvE dps set-up.

Still some fantastic combinations to play around with though.

Oh and they just released a pretty awesome CGI video.
    http://ie.ign.com/videos/2011/01/26/rift-cgi-trailer

I'm level 15 now, am wondering if i can get any more souls or am stuck with the 3 i used? I'm trying to get rid of the dominator which is useless, i want some heals plz :)

I'm level 15 now, am wondering if i can get any more souls or am stuck with the 3 i used? I'm trying to get rid of the dominator which is useless, i want some heals plz :)
    You can pick up new souls by completing the quests that you pick-up in your capital. They cost one planar shard to complete, which you can earn by closing rifts. The greater your contribution in sealing the rift, the more likely you'll earn a planar shard. You can have all your souls pretty quickly if you are sufficiently motivated. :)

any guide with pvp soul? how do you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Is there a cost to re-spec your character?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

How is the world open or zoned ?

The pve pvp thing tho it kinda reminds me of tabula rasa, and that did not work out to well in the end.

I blame kyubi for showing me this game argh i want it now but i must resist 12 weeks of college to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Is there a cost to re-spec your character?

Yes as you have to reset all souls to zero you'll need to re-train your different spec/souls. Wasn't too bad though, I reset one role with different souls and at lvl 23 and the total was about 60 Gold.

• Advertisement

Ahh, i thought this was out at the start of February, not March :(

Advertisement