Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Lone Stone wrote: »
    How is the world open or zoned ?

The pve pvp thing tho it kinda reminds me of tabula rasa, and that did not work out to well in the end.

I blame kyubi for showing me this game argh i want it now but i must resist 12 weeks of college to go.

It's crazy. Scary crazy.Yesterday there was a 15 group Fire invasion of level 18 Elites on a quest hub. Pretty much outnumbered all of the people around the area. Something like 70 mobs to 30 Players. Never experienced something as epic as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

PvP soul is unlocked for 2500 favor (PvP currency) from the PvP vendor in your capital city. You can earn the 2500 favor by level 15 or so if you do a few of the Warfronts.

You can respec for free up to level 15. Then it starts costing a couple of gold extra per level. Not exactly sure of the details but it scales up pretty fast.

You can swap out a soul for any other one you have available, as long as you have 0 points in it. This means you can pick up a pet class for PvE dps and switch it out for the PvP soul when you play PvP to grab the PvP Trinket, all without respecing or taking any other action.

I don't understand your question Lone Stone, could you rephrase?

If screen shot wasn't disabled id show you the map atm that has about 20 invasion armies on the move.

Silverwood atm.

2gsiuwz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Tr1PoD

Nice. There was a bunch of large invasions in the next zone as well today, was epic, werewolves all over the zone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

In terms of computer requirements and file size how does RIFT fair against WoW?

WoW runs smooth outside of 25 man raids and some of the bigger bg's. I play with just below avarage settings. Any thing higher and I lag every where. How will RIFT run on my AM turion dual core 4gb ram 2.20Ghz?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Dunno if you all got this... they haven't even put this up on the game launcher.
    RIFT We are having so much fun with you in Telara that we have extended the Beta 5 event through Saturday morning at 10 a.m. PST! ^Zann
    21 hours ago · UnlikeLike · Comment

*EDIT* That's tomorrow 6:00pm GMT. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Sarn

Hmm, not sure yet. Think I've just gone off these type of MMO's or maybe MMO's as a whole. :eek: Either that or the Darkfall and MO playstyles have spoiled me. Now saying that I might pick it up as there is nothing else on the horizon that appeals to me (apart from GW2). Also, as it's beta I find it hard to invest time in a character that'll be wiped, (I usually only have 1 or 2 characters, definitely not an altaholic) so that might be colouring my view.

However, I think the multiple soul idea is great, it will certainly lead to a wide range of characters and challenges. This bit of individualisation really appeals to me. In all the game is very polished and the rifts add a new dynamic. Given that people are obliged to stop the rifts it should avoid the problem the public quests had in WAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Got to make a couple of characters today. Haven't had much play-time yet though.

I was immediately disappointed by the character creation. Very few options for a modern mmo. Aion had a good character creator and I was hoping for at lest the same if not more options. In my opinion there is no excuse to skimp on this area. For something that has so may class options, they should at least match that with character visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ivan wrote: »

I don't understand your question Lone Stone, could you rephrase?

Do you hit a loading screen when entering a new zone, or can you just walk into it as in an open world game or zoned

• Advertisement

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Do you hit a loading screen when entering a new zone, or can you just walk into it as in an open world game or zoned
    You just walk into the new zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Sarn

So where to buy? Asda-entertainment, shopto.net, game.co.uk are selling it for about €29.50. The problem with these is that it's a hard copy and there is no mention of any of the pre-purchase bonuses. There may or may not be delivery charges. Amazon currently has it priced at £34.99 but does mention the pre-order bonuses and how to download it for the headstart. It could be worth waiting to see if they price match the other UK stockists.

Alternatively, Steam has the standard digital edition available for €49.99. Direct2drive.co.uk have 20% off this weekend which works out as £27.96 (~€33). The benefit is that it's a digital download with all the pre-order bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

So far I have to say I'm pretty impressed with Rift. Its a very solid game even in beta and unlike 90% of MMO's is very polished even at this stage in development.

However there are some major issues tho.....

The graphics are pretty sweet but maxed out run kinda meh on top end systems (i7 920 + ATI 5870) but this could be down to being in beta. AoC still holds the crown for best MMO graphics and runs a hell of a lot better imho. Time will tell on this issue.

Character creation sucks and has very limited options more akin to WoW's that the likes of SWG and AoC which is bad for a 2011 MMO. The fact that armor from drops and quests seem are the same on both factions makes everyone look exactly the same and a wider variety is needed.

Character progression is very basic with just one starting area for both factions which kills making alts and again is very poor for a 2011 MMO. This is a pet peeve of mine and seperate questing hubs per level adds so much extra value to a game.

The Soul system while cool dosen't add as much as you would think to the game and I can see FOTM set-ups killing alot of the originality.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Havent tried this, but im not sure im willing to buy another mmo only to end up sitting with the rest of them gathering dust, the list is getting silly now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dcully wrote: »
    Havent tried this, but im not sure im willing to buy another mmo only to end up sitting with the rest of them gathering dust, the list is getting silly now.
    Personally between DN Forever and PS2 I'll let this one rest and see what happens. It sounds as a interesting "one to three" month kind of game but Q1/beginning of Q2 is looking busy as it is.

Any beta keys floating around guys ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Try this one:

FKEK-NCZQ-WD3Y-QK3L-G6PJ

Its one of the 25 use jobs, I don't know how many are gone though.
    PM me if all are gone, I have a few individual ones somewhere too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

MMORPG are giving some away, have around 5000 available right now. They are VIP ones too so should get ya into the last 2 beta events.

http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/offer/257/Rift-Beta-Key-Grab.html

morgana wrote: »
    Try this one:

FKEK-NCZQ-WD3Y-QK3L-G6PJ

Its one of the 25 use jobs, I don't know how many are gone though.
    PM me if all are gone, I have a few individual ones somewhere too :P

nice worked for me cheer's.

Now if only i could find the download :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

You need to wait for the beta invite mail which gives you the download link. They usually go out 2 days before the next event.
    Step 1: Once invited to an event, please review and agree to the EULA.
    Step 2: After agreeing to the terms of the EULA, you will have access to a download link for the RIFT client. You only need to download the client for your first beta event.
    Step 3: Launch RIFT during the beta event and get in and play!

• Advertisement

I have 2 more refer a friend to the Alpha server, if anyone is interested. I'll randomly select 2 people from PMs sent to me between now and when I get home. Send me the email address for your Trion account (or create a new account and PM me that email address if you don't trust me) and I'll pick 2 later. Each Alpha account gets upto 4 referrals that usually go out after the next Beta phase, but I've 2 that are already spoken for...

How'd you manage to get them Ivan? Random lottery for Rift accounts?

A friend referred me after Beta 4 and I got an invite after Beta 5. Apparently you win an Alpha invite if you provide solid feedback during the Beta stages.

Hows the new Soul changes then Ivan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Ivan wrote: »
    A friend referred me after Beta 4 and I got an invite after Beta 5. Apparently you win an Alpha invite if you provide solid feedback during the Beta stages.

Doesnt alpha come before beta?

Drakar wrote: »
    Doesnt alpha come before beta?

Alpha is the on going testing with 24 hour servers. The beta are pre determined times.

Got my invite for this weekends offerings, what server are people playing on?
    Do your toons carry over from event to event?

The majority are playing as Guardian on the Cloudborne server. Yes, your toons carry across to each Beta event and will be wiped before the launch.

yea got into beta, just a 7.50gb download to go now

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Will everyone be on later this evening? What is the boards group called again and are you guys fussy about invites? :)

Advertisement