Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Think the Assassin soul is what you would want for a WoW-ish Rogue. Fury is probably closest to Paragon (fast dual wielding). Check the various classes and souls here http://www.riftgame.com/en/classes/index.php

You can combine 3 souls into 1 character to form your own playstyle, personnaly I have a Warrior with Reaver (Death based DoTs and some self buffs), Warlord (group and personal buffs) and a Paladin (sword and board an damage reduction).

There is an open beta running from now till next monday, if your interested hunt around for a key (think a few people on here have some extra somewhere). Its the kind of game you have to play to see if you would like it. Personnally, I probably wont pick it up, apart from the rifts and the souls its same-old same-old and I am quite burned out on the EQ/WoW/LOTRO/WAR/Rift style of MMo game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

And yes i misread that and thought he said Furry as in he wanted a Tauren Warrior :p

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    There is an open beta running from now till next monday, if your interested hunt around for a key (think a few people on here have some extra somewhere).
    I got in to this beta just by registering on the Trion site and completing my profile.

Proper MMORPG noob here, loving it so far. Haven't really got a bog's notion (couldn't even find the local rift for the longest time last night :o) but it seems like an easy game to get into. Dunno how reconciled I am to paying a monthly fee but I'll give it a shot for another few days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Going to download this tonight. Was planning on waiting till the launch, but from the sounds of things the beta is quite stable, and won't ruin my first experiences of it. Plan on picking it up on the 25th as well, so i'll join whatever guild we have going.

Oh, and PvP please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have a beta key from the closed beta due to guildlaunch membership so ill check it out tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Lorenzomedici

@ Gummy Panda

Go here and go wild with class building :)

2.28mb per second download....fair play to them :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Really loving this game atm, however performance drops bigtime during a large rift.
    I doubt they will sort this come release date as it probably too close but theres a huge thread on the beta forms about it.

Dcully wrote: »
    Really loving this game atm, however performance drops bigtime during a large rift.
    I doubt they will sort this come release date as it probably too close but theres a huge thread on the beta forms about it.

It's the EVE problem of having far too many NPC's on screen at the same time.

What i think they should implement is a little button that pops up when it detects that your FPS is dropping during those bigs to set it to Low and only to revert it back once you v finished the event.

What server are you all playing on by the way? And do we have a guild in the beta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Is it ok to upload screenshots here mods? Here's me hiding last night just off this road as 7... yes 7 invasions all above level 20 roamed by :eek:

2011_2_15_233837_thumb.jpg

For those with dropping FPS, I know its an obvious question but have you checked if your machine meets system requirements and/or have you tried the Can you run it tool?

Secondly, ATI cards have had issues in the past. I'd advise upgrading graphics drivers if you haven't since playing Rift for the first time.

The client does notify you if your system is struggling and suggests you activate the "low quality render" in high stress situations. I have a pretty mediocre machine by todays standards and get no shockingly bad fps drops in large scale content.

3ghz duo
    4bg ram
    nvidia 8800gt

On custom settings, middle to high for everything except player shadows.

Had a go tonight and really enjoyed it. It basically felt like all the UI and questing changes wow got plus the best addons merged into a game that looks like dragon age. Not reinventing the wheel but make sure its well oiled :)

I went rogue with Assassin and later blade dancer (Game advised this combo). Don't think this was the right choice as their combo generating moves and finishers seemed very similar. Might be better later levels due to talents.

I did get the whole "oh this move would be called sinister strike in wow and this would be ambush... oh this is evasion!!" feeling.

Might buy it and play it on the side.

Played for a few hours last night as well, and enjoyed it. Wasn't anything spectacular, but solid enough. Went with an Rogue (Assassin/Nightblade) at first, and it seems like a straight up Rogue for Warcraft (not a bad thing). Very similar playstyle. Then i rolled a Mage (Pyro/Stormcaller) and had fun with that.

It does seem like you get a lot of similar moves early on. Each time i had one nuke/spammable attack (fireball/lightning or sinister/primal strike) and a finisher. Obviously, i'm only lvl6 though, so i'm sure if will get better.

It's got potential though.

The reason you get similar spells or abilities at low level is because obviously every soul needs a base ability or you couldn't play it as a main soul, as you go further into the souls you will increase a certain damage type or improve a certain ability so you just dump the base ability from the soul your not improving on etc.

Can rogues tank? :confused:

Cause rift stalker has +threat moves

Can rogues tank? :confused:

Cause rift stalker has +threat moves

Yep, Riftstalker is a tank soul :D

They tank via absorbs and avoidance.

Yep, Riftstalker is a tank soul :D

They tank via absorbs and avoidance.

Sounds like a Blood DK with blood shield. Dual wield tanking was.awesome as frost DK.

Yeh Riftstalker/Bladedancer is pretty similar to a Blood DK as far as lots of absorb and parry without the disease business :)

They got a significant buff lately too, so they are very competitive tanks right now.

Also, while were here, Mages can be healers in this game too!

Souls_Purpose.jpg?t=1294414205

So are some of the classes pure Enhance? As in they just cast buff spells during an instance/raid? No (minimal) healing or dps?

• Advertisement

Id be inclined to classify Warlord as Enhance.

updatedriftchart.png

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

It looks like a good game from the gameplay videos I've viewed on youtube.

Anyone any idea on a price for the subscriptions and also a price for the standard and collectors edition and where to buy it? I have seen the digital copies on their website but I would like to get the box with the 8gig USB drive etc...

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

They had the preorder boxes in Game (Mahon Point, Cork) last night. I think it was 44.95 for the SE but in fairness, I didn't really pay attention to the price as I have a digital CE from direct2drive when they had 20 % off so it worked out real cheap at around 35 Euro I think.

morgana wrote: »
    They had the preorder boxes in Game (Mahon Point, Cork) last night. I think it was 44.95 for the SE but in fairness, I didn't really pay attention to the price as I have a digital CE from direct2drive when they had 20 % off so it worked out real cheap at around 35 Euro I think.
    D2D promo code 'vatfree' is still good for the weekend, 20% off. Just picked up digital CE for €39. Change your site preference to UK to save a few quid.

Never used D2D before but used G2Play etc a few times,are we guaranteed headstart access with D2D?
    Just about to preorder from them.

Never used D2D before but used G2Play etc a few times,are we guaranteed headstart access with D2D?
    Just about to preorder from them.
    According to D2D they do have headstart with the CE edition.
    G2Play actually have bad comments here about sending out pre-order keys.

Apparently Trion are good about accepting proof of purchase eg receipt/invoice and sending keys if there's any hassle. Official FAQ refers to a Walmart purchase but I've heard it before about other games from them.

Edit: If you want to wait I'll be downloading from D2D later so I can let you know what they send when I've started that off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Hey there folks i've just got my self onto the rift beta and im wondering is there a boardsies guild? :O

Just got my pyromancer/elemtalist/stormcaller to 9, planning on making my new character a necromancer/warlock/dominator for some dots fun :)

Edit: If you want to wait I'll be downloading from D2D later so I can let you know what they send when I've started that off.

Yes please that would be great if you dont mind.

Hey there folks i've just got my self onto the rift beta and im wondering is there a boardsies guild? :O

Yes im 100% up for a boards guild, even saying that is like a kiss of death after the other mmos over the years :P

• Advertisement

Yes please that would be great if you dont mind.
    Haven't actually gotten around to downloading yet, having too much fun in the beta:D

Got this email from D2D though which looks good:
    Below you will find some helpful information about your copy of DC Universe Online. You can download the game as many times as you want.

Direct2Drive Customers:

You can find your download any time by visiting your Account Page on Direct2Drive

Your key is sent by email only. To receive this key you must click the DOWNLOAD button on your My Games page. Preorder Customers receive one key for all access to Betas, Head Start and retail. No additional keys are required.

For Customer Service for Direct2Drive, please visit the Direct2Drive Support Centre.

For Activation and Technical support for this title, visit theTrion Worlds Web Page.

Have fun!

-- The IGN Entertainment Team

I'll be downloading tomorrow and we'll see then.

Advertisement