Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Lorenzomedici

wrote:
    Below you will find some helpful information about your copy of DC Universe Online.

Lol what?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Lol what?

Yeah I know...d/l in progress, we'll see what the morning brings!:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You ordered Rift and got DC Universe?

Ok, so the reference to DCU is just a typo/laziness on their part.

The download from D2D is the same Beta version. Don't know yet if we'll have to redownload at go-live or not...would imagine that there'll just be a patch to update to the live client.

They sent a key when I started the download, which I had to apply in my account on the Trion site. It's a bit cheesy - you have to pick your subscription plan and provide CC details to complete the process. They won't charge the card for the sub until the 30 days are up, but you have to remember to go in and unsub if you don't want to pay.

Apparently I won't need another key - this will cover everything from head start to full go-live.

To collect the freebies in-game you have to go to a mailbox. All the freebies are useless if you've done any levelling, except the tartagon mount which is dead handy speed-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Nice video of a GM walkthrough of endgame Rift Raiding.
    http://www.riftjunkies.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Are people up for a boards guild then? Iv had 2 friends pull out for the most retarded reasons resulting in the rest of the group pulling out. Love the game so i want to stick with it.

Someone volunteer to choose the Shard and set it up in game :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I begrudingly accept this responsibility. :p

But seriously, bunch of us already planning to create a guild. Most of us have already tried several of the expert dungeons on Alpha and can't wait to try out the Rift Raiding.

Ivan wrote: »
    I begrudingly accept this responsibility. :p

But seriously, bunch of us already planning to create a guild. Most of us have already tried several of the expert dungeons on Alpha and can't wait to try out the Rift Raiding.

Good man :P

Just thinking then Ivan might be a good idea to make a seperate thread sign up thread of the Rift Guild at the moment and see what sort of interest it gets and give what details that are available, this thread is a bit bloated and i bet most people wouldn't know that a guild is in the plan.

Assuming we do this, there will be some requirements;

Guardian faction
    PvP server

That is all :D

Sounds good just wish they'd release the server names.

• Advertisement

Defiant ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Fell into Rift after the disaster that was WAR's new "expansion". Only played a few levels in the latest beta (Defiant Blightweald) but its been quite an enjoyable little run and I might pick up the game to keep me occupied until TOR comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

So I played for about a week (I think OB ends today), and the initial enthusiasm has worn off a bit I'm afraid.

I still think the game looks incredible, but there are a few things that grate with me as OB comes to a close:

1) Rifts / invasions etc. This was dynamic and exciting at first, but as I progressed towards level 20, the sheer number of them took from the uniqueness of the events. At some points there were up to 10 rifts going, and while the public group element works well, there was always a bit of a gamble in deciding where to go. I think they need to be scaled back a bit in terms of numbers and frequency to make them feel special rathen than an intrusive necessity. Add to that the fact that groups can be upto what 40 people, trying to keep things focussed with tanks, healers etc is almost impossible for a PUG

2) Abilities - now this is a bit of a bug bear. I'm levelling a tank, and by level 15 I had almost 3 bars full of abilities. This makes things very confusing, and while I'm sure every one of them has a specific use at a specific time, it feels overkill for kill/gather quests early in the game

3) Aggro / deaths - not as big a deal for MMO veterans maybe, but I really found certain camps are so packed with mobs (which tend to aggro easily / within short range) its quite easy to die accidently - particularly as it seems to take ages to loose a chasing agressive mob. Not very beginner friendly

Overall, I'm kind of in 2 minds about what to do with Rift. While I still enjoy dipping into it for an hour here and there, I'm not sure there's enough compelling content to keep me coming back. Rifts certainly don't do it for me after spending some time on them. I'm not sure but it just doesn't seem to fit together and flow really well for me

Then again, its only just coming from beta, and for that its in very good shape, it amy just need a bit of time to get established and mature.

This was one from BETA 6

http://img546.imageshack.us/i/201112622033.jpg/

Fun times :p

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

ArtherG
    1) Rifts / invasions etc. This was dynamic and exciting at first, but as I progressed towards level 20, the sheer number of them took from the uniqueness of the events.

They probably wanted to stress test the servers and have tons of things going on at once.

QQ Beta is over :(

EDIT: Those looking to buy it that can't find it boxed and want to go for digital instead check out Game.co.uk. It's working out at €47 for the CE which works out cheaper than the standard edition on rifts actual website. But bear in mind there is an 8 hour wait once you buy until you receive your codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

ArthurG wrote: »
    So I played for about a week (I think OB ends today), and the initial enthusiasm has worn off a bit I'm afraid.

I still think the game looks incredible, but there are a few things that grate with me as OB comes to a close:

1) Rifts / invasions etc. This was dynamic and exciting at first, but as I progressed towards level 20, the sheer number of them took from the uniqueness of the events. At some points there were up to 10 rifts going, and while the public group element works well, there was always a bit of a gamble in deciding where to go. I think they need to be scaled back a bit in terms of numbers and frequency to make them feel special rathen than an intrusive necessity. Add to that the fact that groups can be upto what 40 people, trying to keep things focussed with tanks, healers etc is almost impossible for a PUG

2) Abilities - now this is a bit of a bug bear. I'm levelling a tank, and by level 15 I had almost 3 bars full of abilities. This makes things very confusing, and while I'm sure every one of them has a specific use at a specific time, it feels overkill for kill/gather quests early in the game

3) Aggro / deaths - not as big a deal for MMO veterans maybe, but I really found certain camps are so packed with mobs (which tend to aggro easily / within short range) its quite easy to die accidently - particularly as it seems to take ages to loose a chasing agressive mob. Not very beginner friendly

Overall, I'm kind of in 2 minds about what to do with Rift. While I still enjoy dipping into it for an hour here and there, I'm not sure there's enough compelling content to keep me coming back. Rifts certainly don't do it for me after spending some time on them. I'm not sure but it just doesn't seem to fit together and flow really well for me

Then again, its only just coming from beta, and for that its in very good shape, it amy just need a bit of time to get established and mature.

1: Someone in local said Rifts occurrences had been increased for the beta. Might not be that way upon release.

2: Only got to lvl 12 myself but my first 3 powers were melee strikes, all on the same cooldown all doing the same thing seemingly.... Didn't find the first few levels particularly rewarding as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Ah ok, hadn't realised they were upping the number of Rifts for stress purposes - they must be very happy with it as I had virtually no lag or slowdown during even the most hectic battles. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

ArthurG wrote: »
    Ah ok, hadn't realised they were upping the number of Rifts for stress purposes - they must be very happy with it as I had virtually no lag or slowdown during even the most hectic battles. Very impressive.

My pc struggled on some open scenes with oddly not much to see in them but in Rifts etc when a lot was going on on screen it was really nice and smooth. No lag to speak of either whilst playing.

I'd reckon I'd get this game if I wasn't off travelling in two months. Makes a nice change from WoW whilst keeping lots of the stuff similar at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

EDIT: Those looking to buy it that can't find it boxed and want to go for digital instead check out Game.co.uk. It's working out at €47 for the CE which works out cheaper than the standard edition on rifts actual website. But bear in mind there is an 8 hour wait once you buy until you receive your codes.

GAME here in Limerick said they should have boxed CEs available for customers, (preordered my own yesterday) the only problem seems to be they don't know how much they're going to be (anywhere between €50 and €65) despite GAME's UK website/stores having a set price and they've no idea whether they'll get the headstart codes for customers. :-/

Will Retail CE pre-orders access the head start the same way we accessed beta through a download, or will we receive the physical game early?
    Beta and Head Start are two different clients; each will require their own download. As long as you have applied a pre-order key to your account, you'll be able to download the launch client and play in the Head Start. We'll post more information about downloading the launch client in the coming weeks.
    Yay for unmetered broadband :p

Pain that it has to be downloaded again though.

I'd be curious to know how this works for people buying the hard copy - surely if the game is to be distributed to all the outlets in a timely fashion they've already pressed and started distributing the cds? Are hard copy purchasers then going to have to download the full client all over again?

E: Balls, they're pushing tempest to tier 6 in Ele for launch. This is major suckage :(

• Advertisement

Are hard copy purchasers then going to have to download the full client all over again?

Id imagine worst case scenario being a bit of patching if at all.

Here's a decent enough channel for people who haven't played certain classes to see how they work (To a degree).

http://www.youtube.com/user/tgnRift

Soooo many choices. Still haven't decided on my solo souls yet. After seeing the Reaver video im tempted to take that with Pali and DoT the sh*t out of mobs. Also will help settle my respec when it comes for dungeon tanking.

surely if the game is to be distributed to all the outlets in a timely fashion they've already pressed and started distributing the cds? Are hard copy purchasers then going to have to download the full client all over again?

No Ireland in general has heard nothing about this game let alone getting the stocked in time for the head start (24th Feb) or actual start (1st or 4th March can't remember). Three different gamestop stores in Longford / Waterford and Kildare all contacted head office to find out about this game when I told them that their american stores have it. Pc world no, Xtravision no, argos no... so on so on...

I would imagine a full download of the client would be on the disk. The one you had over beta had all the beta data in it I AFAIK.

After seeing the Reaver video im tempted to take that with Pali and DoT the sh*t out of mobs

Yeah its mighty impressive,ill deffo roll one maybe not a main however, the Stormcaller or Pyromancer could well be a main for me.
    Also enjoyed the assassin and champion in the betas.

Dcully wrote: »
    Yeah its mighty impressive,ill deffo roll one maybe not a main however, the Stormcaller or Pyromancer could well be a main for me.
    Also enjoyed the assassin and champion in the betas.

In that video he basically pulled every mob he could and just destroyed it ! Definitely appealing. Just wonder what will be 1 to 20 leveling soul.

No Ireland in general has heard nothing about this game let alone getting the stocked in time for the head start (24th Feb) or actual start (1st or 4th March can't remember). Three different gamestop stores in Longford / Waterford and Kildare all contacted head office to find out about this game when I told them that their american stores have it. Pc world no, Xtravision no, argos no... so on so on...

I would imagine a full download of the client would be on the disk. The one you had over beta had all the beta data in it I AFAIK.
    Guess our little market doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things :(
    Anyway they've announced that it is a full re-download for us beta folks, and advised uninstalling beta prior to installing live client.

Official servers have been announced.

European Severs
    • Blightweald - EN PvE
    • Cloudeborne - EN PvP
    • Steampike - EN PvE
    • Icewatch - EN PvE
    • Argent - EN RP
    • Firesand - EN PvP RP
    • Whitefall - EN PvP
    • Brutwacht - DE PvE
    • Trübkopf - DE PvP
    • Akala - DE RP
    • Brisesol - FR PvE
    • Rubicon - FR PvP
    You're all welcome :P

Downloading problems at the moment over at Trion since last night. They are going to keep facebook and Twitter updated when the game goes live for download and also send out emails to everyone who pre-ordered.

I myself am planning to go for a PvE server, so Icewatch for me :P PM me if you're going to be there as I'm bringing a few WoW guildies with me (I think) may even be enough for a guild. My guild mates however are not Irish.

For the downloaders, before you delete your beta clients, take out the assets folder and stick it on your desktop.

When you download the release patcher, add the assets folder from Beta into your Rift game directory. It will save you 5-6gb of downloads :)

The boards rift guild is likely going to be on Cloudborne(pvp).

For the downloaders, before you delete your beta clients, take out the assets folder and stick it on your desktop.

When you download the release patcher, add the assets folder from Beta into your Rift game directory. It will save you 5-6gb of downloads :)

Be warned though, nobody knows the consequences of doing this and it may result in you needing to download a second time should something go wrong. Trion are saying delete the beta so the only way to be 100% safe is do as they say, if you want to try it be my guest but it may cause you problems in the future.

• Advertisement

Count me out so , strong rumours that will be where the Russians will be rolling on both factions :rolleyes:
    Based on past experience from AOC in particular the russians will take over the place and there will be nothing but russian chat in general chat.
    Their guilds are massive and i do mean massive, Rus Corp guild in AOC had literally a few thousand members lol.
    If indeed they do go to Cloudbourne and if past history is anything to go by they will occupy 80-90% of the servers population.
    Avoid like the plague is my advice.

Having said that there are only 2 EN EU PVP servers, one will be dominated by the Ruskies but i can see the other being dominated by the Spanish,Italians, and other non English speaking folk.
    We need more EU EN PVP servers :) and some for the russians too in fairness,we cant blame em wanting to be able to speak their language in chat.

Advertisement