Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resits - How do you know if they are offered?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Just wondering as I think I did badly in a few during our Sem1 Xmas exams and was wondering if a resit would be offered during sem2.

I checked the ucd website and it says:
    How can I check if a module has a resit or not?
    • You will find this information at www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm. Click on '2010/11 Modules'. Use the search function to find your module and look at the 'What happens if I fail?' section of the module description.
    So I did this but nearly all modules say the same:

Resit Opportunities End of Semester Exam
    Remediation If you fail this module you may repeat or resit where permissible

Do resits take place during the normal exam period in Sem2? Do they have their own special timetable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Usually offered in tandem with the summer exams

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Sorry I probably sound like an idiot but can you clarify that? I'm 99.999% sure I'll be repeating one of my Semester 1 modules, do UCD do Resits in August or do I sit my repeat as a second year with all the first years next Christmas or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You resit the exam during your next set of exams i.e. in May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

And there are no exams in August any more unless you are an unlucky postgrad who takes classes during Semester Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

If the module is offered again in semester 2, you will have to repeat it (i.e. do the classes and everything again).

If it is not offered again in semester 2, you will have a resit (just an exam) in the summer. Most modules are like this.

If you prefer, you can substitute it (so long as it's not a core), but that's quite expensive, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

aine92 wrote: »
    Sorry I probably sound like an idiot but can you clarify that? I'm 99.999% sure I'll be repeating one of my Semester 1 modules, do UCD do Resits in August or do I sit my repeat as a second year with all the first years next Christmas or how does it work?

Your repeats will always be with the next semesters exams, so winter repeats are in summer and vice versa. Ucd stopped having august repeats around 7 years ago. In your case you will have to do 7 exams this may if you have failed one at christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 k1m

hey, just wondering if anyone knows,if you have to repeat a subject the next year due to an xi grade how do you register for it? and do you have to do it on top of the other 12 subjects or as part of the 12?? i mailed the student desk but they just sent me a link that didn't really answer anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

If you have an IX- approved by your program office, you YOURSELF need to contact the school / college of your course. If it's only the exam you need to do, you can take it when you want ( usually in or around 'mid-term' kinda time ) along with the other IX students from that class, if any.

You do it on top of your 12 subjects, but outside of the regular exam period. It must be taken by the end of semester 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 k1m

thankyou!!! thats so helpful :D:D

Advertisement