Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing from UPC MMDS to SKY

• 14-01-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Hi, I know this has probably been asked before, but my parents have UPC MMDS, they are paying €44.74 a month. Pretty expensive if you ask me.

I have freesat and Saorview myself so I have no idea what price SKY is. I presume is a far superior service and I know if they cancel it after 12 months they will have the freesat channels for free, so if we install a UHF aerial they will have everything they need.

However in the mean time, what's the best deal they can get with Sky? Sky Sports would be great, I know this is extra, as are the movies. Basically is there any room for negotiation when subscribing at first? Any new deals on the horizon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The offer at the moment is Sky+ Box is free with €30 install.If they sign up online they get €30 rebate.If they don't have a phoneline there is a €37.50 surcharge-simply put down that there is a phoneline to avoid this.
    Cheapest package is €23 per month and €2 extra per pack so you only pay for what you watch.
    There are no offers regarding channels such as half price movies or sports.
    The HD pack is €15 per month but not essential-the SD picture on Sky is far superior to what they have already.

http://www.sky.com/ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

That's great I have a package picked out, €27 + 10 for multi room. Can you cancel multi room within the 12 months? Its a standard sky box that comes with multi room, and a sky plus box for the main tv. Is tree anyway I could buy a sky + box off adverts and set it up on the multi room?

When the sky installers come around, can I request they install the dish on the chimney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why did you say it was yourelf that had UPC mmds in your other thread:confused::confused:

On no account should you fix a dish to a chimney. Too high a risk of damage in high winds.Sky installers have been known to refuse to go up to a chimney of late on H & S grounds.A dish will pick up a signal at relatively low level provided there is a clear view to the south-east.

Why did you say it was yourelf that had UPC mmds in your other thread:confused::confused:

On no account should you fix a dish to a chimney. Too high a risk of damage in high winds.Sky installers have been known to refuse to go up to a chimney of late on H & S grounds.A dish will pick up a signal at relatively low level provided there is a clear view to the south-east.

I didn't want to explain it was my parents house all over again. Ya, not to bothered about the chimney, it'll be at the back of the house anyway so it wont look so bad. Will UPC come out to remove there equipment?

Deedsie wrote: »
    I didn't want to explain it was my parents house all over again. Ya, not to bothered about the chimney, it'll be at the back of the house anyway so it wont look so bad. Will UPC come out to remove there equipment?

UPC are supposed to remove the equipment as they own it,the mast's and receivers are often left up but insist they take it down.
    With regard to multiroom from Sky-You must keep it for 12 months.You can cancel it after the 12 months is up and use box for FTA.
    The main box is a Sky+ and the multiroom box is just a standard box.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    UPC are supposed to remove the equipment as they own it,the mast's and receivers are often left up but insist they take it down.
    With regard to multiroom from Sky-You must keep it for 12 months.You can cancel it after the 12 months is up and use box for FTA.
    The main box is a Sky+ and the multiroom box is just a standard box.

And no way you can set it up to have two sky+ boxes?

I'm gonna order it on Monday, I'll cancel UPC the same day. Can I insist that they come out to remove there equipment on a certain day and time? Say a Saturday morning, then getting sky installed at lunch would be great.

Second Sky+ box is €199,ask installer to run a 2nd cable while he is putting in the multiroom box in case you pick up a Sky+ on Ebay or Adverts.ie.
    Don't know about UPC's timing when it comes to collecting equipment,I've heard of people having to threaten to bin the stuff to get them to collect it.
    Sky will give you a date for your install-you won't know until you order it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You could try Adverts.ie for a much cheaper sky+ box. You can the flog the standard multiroom box and install the + box. all you have to do then is ring Sky and match the multiroom card to that + box. Just be aware that if you cancel the multiroom next year you will not retain the recording function on that box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's easy to have two Sky+ or Sky+HD boxes (Quad LNBF). Quite easy for 8 (one Multiswitch). Over 1000 Sky+ or SkyHD from one dish with one Quad or Quattro LNBF is possible.

Advertisement