Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dream Team

• 14-01-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harchester_United_F.C.

Bit of a light hearted thread but I was arsing about on wikipedia and found Harchester United - the team from Sky 1s Dream Team series. I remember being of an age where I religiously sat down at 8pm on a Sunday night to watch this and being completely mesmerised by it. Looking back at it now, some of the storylines are so ridiculous you have to wonder how the writers held a straight face when giving them to the cast.

Particular highlight of the show being Liverpools interest in Didier Baptiste that made the pages most of the UK newspapers :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Dream Team was a good show early on when it just focused on the youth team and the odd time one of them would get called up to the first team.

Everything after that was a joke, the star striker getting assassinated by a sniper while doing a lap of honour with the FA Cup in Wembley, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If it wasnt for Dream Team Leeds Untied and Newcastle would never have never gotten those storylines :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hazys wrote: »
    Dream Team was a good show early on when it just focused on the youth team and the odd time one of them would get called up to the first team.

Everything after that was a joke, the star striker getting assassinated by a sniper while doing a lap of honour with the FA Cup in Wembley, lol.

Wrong.The striker was the target but the sniper actually hit defender John Black who jumped in the way to save the chairmans wife who had gotten in the way accidentally and she got amnesia afterwards..........
    Ill go now
    How many times did half the 1st team die in that actually :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

A few of them died on a plane crash after a match, another few of them died on the bus to the UEFA Cup Final and the Keeper held the team hostage in the dressing room another time.

Again I say; how did those writers get a job? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I enjoyed it in the early stages but it got really mental when half the team were killed off in the bus crash. I think Sean Hocknell was killed off in that. He was the most likeable character I thought.

Remember Luis Amor Rodriguez and his affair with 'Lind-er' as he called her. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Loved the show as a kid. Scott Lucas was my favourite player along with the legends Luis Amor Rodriguez and Carl Fletcher.

R.I.P to the 200 odd players who lost their lives throughout the course of the show, especially Danny Rawsthorn so soon after making his Ireland debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

First couple of years were good when they focused alot on the youth team
    I remember Conor McCarthy in it. Young irish lad obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Used to love the show, have actually looked on ebay for boxsets at some stage but with no luck,

The only bit I can remember off the top of my head now was that scottish manager? killing Karl Fletcher by accident on the coat hook on the dressing room wall?

Think that was based on Fergie?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

All I remember if their drug fuelled players robbing Shels UEFA cup spot. Ollie wanted them booted out too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

cson wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harchester_United_F.C.

Bit of a light hearted thread but I was arsing about on wikipedia and found Harchester United - the team from Sky 1s Dream Team series. I remember being of an age where I religiously sat down at 8pm on a Sunday night to watch this and being completely mesmerised by it. Looking back at it now, some of the storylines are so ridiculous you have to wonder how the writers held a straight face when giving them to the cast.

Particular highlight of the show being Liverpools interest in Didier Baptiste that made the pages most of the UK newspapers :P

I thought the storylines were dull, boring and predictable, so I decided to watch City instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

It's all good but make sure you watch from 1:20 to the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    I thought the storylines were dull, boring and predictable, so I decided to watch City instead.

Have_a_cookie.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Such a fine collection of gee.

R.I.P. Fletch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I wanna play for Barca. There'd have been no need for Messi if Fletch had made the move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Was an awesome show. I remember being well into it till (I think like most people) the bus crash which just ruined it. Remember tuning in to a couple of episodes, the goalkeeper was locking some of the players in his night club, then got killed somehow. Another episode was the striker and I think captain at the time, going onto the roof of the stadium and killing himself, while the lads were playing a match to get promoted or something, mental stuff :D.

Would love to actually watch it again, anyone gets a few links send them on :D.

Oh and did anyone go see Dream Team vs Keith Duffy's XI, and the girls on the show done a walk around at half time and all the dad's sprinted to the front battering kids on the way :D. Think it finished 3-3 or something, Karl Fletcher scored and I remember thinking, wow what a dreadful footballer, he was blatantly just an actor who happened to get a role, he hadn't got an ounce of footballing ability :D

Reports surfacing that Terry Kiely (Karl Fletcher) died in a car crash yesterday :(

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Karl Fletcher scored and I remember thinking, wow what a dreadful footballer, he was blatantly just an actor who happened to get a role, he hadn't got an ounce of footballing ability :D

Could be a load of bull but sure :

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaediaTerry Kiely (born September, 1975 in Richmond, Surrey) is an English actor best known for his role in the Sky One series Dream Team, where he played the popular character Karl Fletcher - lasting many seasons although only initially signing up for 5 episodes. His character was shown in the final scene of the programme scoring the winning goal.
    He has also appeared in Mike Bassett: England Manager playing the character Harpsey, a womaniser constantly on his mobile phone to the annoyance of his manager and Family Affairs where he briefly played the character PC Dan Ellison.
    Kiely took on the role of Nolan in a small film focussing on football hooligans known as It's a Casual Life, released in 2003. He also appeared as Paul in Rough Justice, a little known Hewland International/ITV show.
    Prior to acting Kiely played for Reading Football Club as a schoolboy, and in real life he supports Manchester United Football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

dan1895 wrote: »
    All I remember if their drug fuelled players robbing Shels UEFA cup spot. Ollie wanted them booted out too!!

I got a few seconds on the telly on that show :) I was crossing the main road in my Dream Team shirt and there was a camera man across the road who zoomed in on me as i crossed the road :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Didn't they buy a striker for £40 million and a few weeks later he went blind? Think he was called Davenport?
    Describing that club as unlucky is an understatement! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Reports surfacing that Terry Kiely (Karl Fletcher) died in a car crash yesterday :(

RIP

Do you have a link to a credible source? All I can see is a 7 or 8 mentions of it on Twitter and they all seem to be from the same chap who is sending them to Tim Lovejoy and Jack Wilshere and them

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to a credible source? All I can see is a 7 or 8 mentions of it on Twitter and they all seem to be from the same chap who is sending them to Tim Lovejoy and Jack Wilshere and them

I just got the info from a mate and a few people who said it was on radio. Wiki had it as well (yes I know it's not a source) but it's been removed from there now.

Apologies if I jumped the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ludicrous show, what was the deal with that last storyline? Fletch back as a ghost? WTF!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would love to buy a harchester kit - can't find any (in a medium) online though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Could be a load of bull but sure :

Prior to acting Kiely played for Reading Football Club as a schoolboy[/B

Na, I remember the matches from Tolka, he was absolutly ****e. No ability whatsoever.

When they had a European match with Shels I was caught on camera when they were filming the crowd outside. I was a celebrity for weeks afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I stopped watching shortly before it (completely) jumped the shark - I think shortly after they nearly went down from Didier Baptiste throwing the game. Still, I often wondered why any good player ever signed for them. The whole club was cursed!

The show has some dedicated fans still - including these folks: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=89894930936

It's a shame really - the first two seasons were relatively realistic, and it could have been a good show.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I still can't believe big Ron got sacked. Terrible decision.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was devastated when they screwed over Neville Southall. He could have had one more great season! :(

was Dean Sturridge the only real player they signed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Never watched it once and never had an interest, friends were mad for it.

Had me watch one show where some hitman shot someone at a cup final or something.....

Load of bent

Funny enough was watching some show on E4 the other week, Tv's top hard men, and some goalkeeper from dreamteam made the top 5..

A hard footballer, LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I used to love the match footage they made up. Trying to make out which team they were. I remember they used to used a Chelsea template. Mainly noticed Monday Bandeely being JF Hassellbank.

Ahh Monday Bandeely? Coming here taking our women. Ha rumf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Ludicrous show, what was the deal with that last storyline? Fletch back as a ghost? WTF!?

What's ludicrous about that? Look at Michael Jackson. He has really upped his game this year on the wing for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I used to love the match footage they made up. Trying to make out which team they were. I remember they used to used a Chelsea template. Mainly noticed Monday Bandeely being JF Hassellbank.

Ahh Monday Bandeely? Coming here taking our women. Ha rumf.

Was it not Leicster City? The footage was great at the time though, i'd love to see it again just to see how good it really was.

I loved and hated the show, some of the craziest things used to happen to that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I used to love dream team, then it went bat sh!t crazy and i lost interest....i think when fletch got killed off and the bus crash after, i left it! It was abaolsutely mental and then half the cast appeared on hollyoaks one after the other it just got funny!

MOG7 wrote: »
    Was it not Leicster City? The footage was great at the time though, i'd love to see it again just to see how good it really was.

I loved and hated the show, some of the craziest things used to happen to that team.

They used a load of teams. Everton, Chelsea and Leicester were used as home sides - I think Liverpool may have been on occasion too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Didn't they scout some South American player through football manager (might have been champo it was that long ago)? I think the secretary comes in and says "check this guy out" and hands the laptop to the chairwoman with FM running on it.

I'm still convinced that's how Houllier builds his teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Loved the show as a kid. Scott Lucas was my favourite player along with the legends Luis Amor Rodriguez and Carl Fletcher.

R.I.P to the 200 odd players who lost their lives throughout the course of the show, especially Danny Rawsthorn so soon after making his Ireland debut.

+ 1 for Scott Lucas

Linda Block is selling knickers now in Corrie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    + 1 for Scott Lucas

Linda Block is selling knickers now in Corrie

As opposed to getting them off in DT....

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Baptiste

The Guardian and NOTW linked him with a move to Liverpool back in 1999, ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

J. Marston wrote: »
    Didn't they buy a striker for £40 million and a few weeks later he went blind? Think he was called Davenport?
    Describing that club as unlucky is an understatement! :D
    Yes Luke Davenport.
    He had an operation on his eyes to help him play on but John Terry
    knocked his eye out in an aerial clash.Typical Terry :D
    I watched it from the start .It was much better in the earlier series when it was on weeknights ,twice a week.
    The move to Sunday nights for the latter series caused it to go downhill ,as it became crazier and crazier each week.
    Still ,its far better than most of the garbage on tv nowadays,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Brings back the memories. Loved this show was must see tv at the time.

Started watching it as a 6.30 half hour show on Tues and Thurs after I did my homework and was waiting on dinner!

It got bigger then and got moved to weekend slot, it actually got better for a while. Think it peaked in was it maybe season 6, the episode where Jamie Parker was killed was as good as it got. Loved some stuff after that too, such as Jaws year or 2 in the show.
    But should have stopped after season 8, the last 2 seasons were just terrible. Still watched righ to the end all the same.

This thread made me check out a load of clips on youtube of it, so many memories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Remember the storyline of a Irish international being linked to Harchester, but the greedy fella wanted too much money despite being stuck on the bench at his current club. When the news broke to the press he claimed it was all i publicity stunt by Harchester...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Remember the storyline of a Irish international being linked to Harchester, but the greedy fella wanted too much money despite being stuck on the bench at his current club. When the news broke to the press he claimed it was all i publicity stunt by Harchester...

I wasnt aware that Robbie Keane guest starred for an episode.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I'd say u are thinking of Danny Rawsthorne the Tony Cascarino of Dream Team, who played for Ireland but shouldn't have.

Here's his (long) tragic story from the dream team site!

After some impressive form Danny celebrates a call-up to the England Under-21 squad - but he soon has a difficult choice to make. Danny's agent, Jeff Stein, presents him with an England shirt with his name on the back and tells him he wouldn't be more proud if it was his own son who'd got the call.

But agent Taylor Doyle tells Danny that he also has the opportunity to play for Ireland and that a call-up to their senior squad for the upcoming friendly against Finland is a possibility. Danny must pick between loyalty to the country of his birth and the fast-track to full international status and the World Cup finals. After seeking the sage advice of his team-mates, girlfriend Lisa and even little Charlie, Danny chooses Ireland and even scores on his debut.

He receives another major boost after his Ireland debut when he is handed the Harchester captaincy in place of the suspended Stevie Shaw. Danny, exhausted by his playing and training schedule and the number of commercial activities agent Jeff Stein has set up since his Ireland debut takes Taylor's advice and skips a photo shoot for a sports car company. Jeff Stein suggests that Danny conserve his energies by not only cutting back on the adverts but by picking and choosing his games- suggesting he opt out of the Manchester City FA Cup tie. Danny makes the most of a minor ankle knock to cry off the game but as kick-off approaches he begins to feel increasingly guilty.

Danny's boozy, inveterate gambler father Joe returns and has a shock in store - he tells Danny that he is not his real father and therefore his nan isn't his nan. Thus Danny is not Irish.

Danny, stunned, is interviewed by Sky's Chris Kamara minutes later and has a right go at Sven-Goran Eriksson, pretty much burning his bridges with the England set-up. Tearful and not a little drunk after his dad's bombshell news, Danny travels to Stockport to confront his mother Kath, who confesses that his 'father' is indeed not his biological dad and that he was the result of an affair while Joe was away working on the oil rigs.

Taylor Doyle - who talked Danny into opting for Ireland over England in the first place - urges him to carry on and even pays Joe to lay it on thick with Danny about how proud he is of him, but unknown to Danny their conversation is being recorded by his dad who hands the tape over to Taylor in exchange for the money. Taylor uses skipper Danny Rawsthorne's newly discovered lack of Irish-ness to try and force the Harchester star into accepting a big money transfer to Atletico Madrid. When Taylor threatens to make a secret tape of Danny and his dad discussing the Irish issue unless he agrees to the move, Danny tries to convince girlfriend Lisa that it'll be a good thing but she refuses to go because of access problems for her son Charlie's father.

Danny tries to choose between accepting the dodgy arranged transfer to Atletico Madrid, losing girlfriend Lisa and keeping his lack of Irishness hushed up and staying with Lisa and son Charlie and the prospect of perhaps never playing international football again. Paul Hankin hears of the fact that Danny is not Irish and confronts his dad Joe. However when Danny tells Tash there is a tape with the confession, Tash steels the tape from Taylor's hotel room, which later falls into the position of Joe- who THEN sells the tape to Hankin.

Danny is then shown a preview of the story, front page newspaper, of the scandal just before he gets on the team coach, but somewhat eerily retorts that they won't be able to touch him now. Danny was one of the players who died in the 2002 coach crash, just before the UEFA Cup final.

Reading back through all that it seems like a comedy & so ridiculous, but at the time we all loved it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Didn't they scout some South American player through football manager (might have been champo it was that long ago)? I think the secretary comes in and says "check this guy out" and hands the laptop to the chairwoman with FM running on it.

Hector the brazillian.

His free kick taking was apparently in the 90's.

I searched for him on fifa that year, but no luck :(

In the end it turned out he was still contracted to a russian team, and they locked in a room with a dog and he had to escape.

He was afraid of dogs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

u knew the show was finished
    when they had coach crash in 05
    just 3 years after the last one lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

it was all about Eddie Moliano tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Dont you mean Everton

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Everton-using-Football-Manager-computer-game-article33798.html

Hard to pick a favourite WAG.

Georgina Block was filthy in the early episodes, Tash Parker was overrated imo but I loved Lynda.

The best though for me were Nikki Peggs (drool), Abi Fletcher and Claudia Irving.

I met Dean Boyle in a club in Liverpool about a year after he left the show. He loved being recognised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Jazzy wrote: »
    it was all about Eddie Moliano tbh

He is on Extreme Home Makeover in the US now .
    I got some shock when I saw him,he is a carpenter by trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement