Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Coursing Club, Clonmel

• 14-01-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Was hoping to go down in Feb to cover the national Coursing meeting, anybody ever go, any ideas about accreditation etc....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd wonder if the coursing club would be wary about press or photographer attention; they're the sort of group who attract a lot of attention they probably don't welcome, so they may be wary of requests to photograph without referral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

i'd wonder if the coursing club would be wary about press or photographer attention; they're the sort of group who attract a lot of attention they probably don't welcome, so they may be wary of requests to photograph without referral.

I'd have to plus one this, I was planning to do this before and someone I know advised me against it due to the above problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I can't see that there'd be a huge problem if you ring the ICC well in advance and tell them what you're about.

I don't know if you've ever been to Clonmel but if it's just the last day you were planning on going it'll be fairly packed and it'll be hard to get any decent shots of the dogs coursing the hare. I very much doubt if you'll be allowed on the field itself so you'd be stuck in the crowd on the rails and you'd need a long lens, not the easiest situation to get decent shots.

As for the ICC being wary of allowing photographers in, there are always plenty there, and you'll see plenty of shots in the papers. It's also completely open to the public, anyone can pay their money and walk in if they want to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

If you've a good telephoto lens, I think you can see the tracks from up the new M&S roof carpark :D.
    Not too sure, if they've moved it or what, not one for the dogs myself, but I think that's whhat I spotted once from up the carpark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Doubt you'd have a problem, DK.
    There's always shots in the papers from Coursing.
    It might be frowned upon, but they're not breaking the law.
    Can't see them being afraid of press.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭TippFan77

Not sure about the present situation, butI remember all those "unauthorised photography strictly prohibited" signs at coursing events in the 80s and 90s. Photographers had their cameras confiscated and even press photographers were thrown out of grounds on occasion.

It's important to bear in mind that this is a controversial activity involving deliberate cruelty to animals, which is why it's banned in Britain, Australia etc, and most recently Northern Ireland.

Coursing clubs make their own highly censored films of events for viewing in pubs, get-togethers, U tube etc (no maulings or tossings shown), but can be a bit paranoid about footage or snaps that might show up their "sport" in a negative light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

would also be interested in covering this - if its going to be on at a weekend (any update on if there is any on over the coming weeks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

TippFan77 wrote: »
    Not sure about the present situation, butI remember all those "unauthorised photography strictly prohibited" signs at coursing events in the 80s and 90s. Photographers had their cameras confiscated and even press photographers were thrown out of grounds on occasion.

It's important to bear in mind that this is a controversial activity involving deliberate cruelty to animals, which is why it's banned in Britain, Australia etc, and most recently Northern Ireland.

Coursing clubs make their own highly censored films of events for viewing in pubs, get-togethers, U tube etc (no maulings or tossings shown), but can be a bit paranoid about footage or snaps that might show up their "sport" in a negative light.

Really. Who give anyone the right to confiscate . Is it the Garda. There would be worse cruelty if some lad put a finger on my gear. Its like my baby

PCPhoto wrote: »
    would also be interested in covering this - if its going to be on at a weekend (any update on if there is any on over the coming weeks)

Fixtures are here, it's mostly open meetings left (the meeting takes place out in open fields, the hare can go anywhere she wants when the dogs are slipped), though the 2 biggest park meetings of the year are still to happen, Clonmel starts tomorrow and the Irish Cup meeting in Limerick at the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Really. Who give anyone the right to confiscate . Is it the Garda. There would be worse cruelty if some lad put a finger on my gear. Its like my baby
    No its not the Gardai, I would say you wouldn't have a "snowballs chance in hell" if they decided to confiscate your gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Coursing protest in Clonmel
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/94835
    ooops last years link.....sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

My, what a classy "sport".
    No its not the Gardai, I would say you wouldn't have a "snowballs chance in hell" if they decided to confiscate your gear.

You mean "steal"; "if they decided to steal your gear".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Photographs regularly appear in the ppai entries so I don't think there is that much of an issue with it.

I'd say the only real objections would come from the hare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭TippFan77

If you look up the "Greyhound Knowledge Forum" you'll find a posting from high profile coursing fan Yvonne Harrington under the heading "Attention!" She warns that all photographers must have permission to film the action in Clonmel etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Rang them over a week ago, very very cagey on the phone sent them a mail and have not heard a word since, with the meet starting tomorrow its not looking good...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

I think it's more to do with flash photography distracting the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I think it's more to do with flash photography distracting the dogs.

I would never use a flash, maybe I should call back!

Was I the only boardsie there? I only had my phone and only took one picture

146192.jpg

Only posting it so anyone thinking of going in future would heva an idea what to expect. Hard to see from that shot but you are quite a distance from the dogs and hare.

BTW, saw plenty of folks with DSLR's there, mostly with normal lenses doing crowd/people shots.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've been there before and it's as boring as horse racing.
    You're always going to be too far from the action unless you have a decent telephoto and an unrestricted view. You'd probably have more fun with a nifty fifty taking pics of some of the characters in the crowd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement