Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Information for ADIs

• 14-01-2011 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

I have been conducting business research on the driving instruction industry and this is my finding based on the new 12 hour mandatory lessons.

All official figures are correct on 13 Jan 2011.

Number of ADIs registered at this time (13 Jan 2011) just over = 1800
    Number of new learner permits (category B) issued last year = 75,232
    If we use the figure of 70,000 (learner Permits) for this coming year; your business share is 38.9 pupils over 12 months.
    70,000 divided by 1800 = 38.9 pupils for the year.

I have conducted this research because ADIs have said they will not need to advertise when the new 12 hours mandatory training comes on stream.

I hope this information helps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I have been conducting business research on the driving instruction industry and this is my finding based on the new 12 hour mandatory lessons.

All official figures are correct on 13 Jan 2011.

Number of ADIs registered at this time (13 Jan 2011) just over = 1800
    Number of new learner permits (category B) issued last year = 75,232
    If we use the figure of 70,000 (learner Permits) for this coming year; your business share is 38.9 pupils over 12 months.
    70,000 divided by 1800 = 38.9 pupils for the year.

I have conducted this research because ADIs have said they will not need to advertise when the new 12 hours mandatory training comes on stream.

I hope this information helps.

Thats pure guesstimation .... you haven't taken account of the geographical location of the number of potential learner permits or the location of ADI's.

To get any real indication you will need to drill down further based initially per county to get any relevance.

Where have ADI's said that they do not need to advertise? i've taken my own sample amongst 2 and both said that they will continue to advertise locally, so nationally this is 100% :D or is this an attempt to drum up business for your own site to get ADI's to advertise there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Thats pure guesstimation .... you haven't taken account of the geographical location of the number of potential learner permits or the location of ADI's.

To get any real indication you will need to drill down further based initially per county to get any relevance.

Where have ADI's said that they do not need to advertise? i've taken my own sample amongst 2 and both said that they will continue to advertise locally, so nationally this is 100% :D or is this an attempt to drum up business for your own site to get ADI's to advertise there !

Hi
    I have used the understanding in the industry that in Dublin there are more ADIs and learners; where in Kerry or other areas there are less ADIs and learners.

I am trying to understand the rest of your post because I don't know if you have any experience of the industry.

Hi
    I have used the understanding in the industry that in Dublin there are more ADIs and learners; where in Kerry or other areas there are less ADIs and learners.

I am trying to understand the rest of your post because I don't know if you have any experience of the industry.

I have no experience in the industry, but from what you just said doesn't tie up with what you posted in your original post ..

You made a simple guesstimation based on 70,000 learner permits and 1800 ADI's divided the 2 figures and came up with a number ... this does not give a true reflection.

Check the number of ADI's per pupil ratio based on learner permits per county, which may give a truer reflection..

you initial post is bordering on advertising your services which i assume you charge for ?

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    I have no experience in the industry, but from what you just said doesn't tie up with what you posted in your original post ..

You made a simple guesstimation based on 70,000 learner permits and 1800 ADI's divided the 2 figures and came up with a number ... this does not give a true reflection.
    The results are fact BUT the share of learners is based on the ideal situation where each ADI gets their fair share of the learners.
    you initial post is bordering on advertising your services which i assume you charge for ?
    Why do you think this?? I never said anything about what I do for ADIs.
    I was only making the point that I conducted the research because ADIs said they think mandatory lessons would mean they would not need to spend money advertising.
    Check the number of ADI's per pupil ratio based on learner permits per county, which may give a truer reflection..
    I understand what your saying but that will only tell us where the ratio is better or worse.
    The fact will stay the same; that there is a small amount of pupils.
    Also if i dare to point out; this is based on the last three years and not the fact that a lot of young people are leaving the country (meaning the issue of new learner permits my very well be way down for 2011).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Permabear.
    Well put...

That is why i went off and conducted this research; ADIs were saying that the changes will have them busy and they will not need to advertise.

I think the ADIs were thinking it would be like 2008 when sgs were helping with the test (373,984 driving test conducted in one year) and not 2009 (110.694 driving test conducted).

i have just conducted research and most ADI's have said that they will advertise.

Now, are your facts true or mine ?

I'm not having a dig but wanted to try and clear the statement that each ADI will have 38.9 pupils per year and do not see the need for advertising.

With respect to your initial post you are saying that ADI's should think about advertising because due to your research they will not be and if i'm not mistaken one of your links to the sites you run alllows ADI's to advertise for a price !

@permabear
    A very good post and can understand the points you make ... indeed if it is the situation that there are far few pupils per ADI then something has to give and no doubt as in any other business some will survive and some will not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Marketing is an important part of a sucessfull business. That point is accepted.
    The idea that many instructors have said they are not going to advertise is in my view unrealistic. Some that never advertise and just tip away on word of mouth will continue as such. Other who are expecting the new rules to suddenly help them out of their failing business, will further fail. There is not going to be any sudden change in numbers of customers. As well as permabears points, all of the current learner permit holders will need to go through the system on the old rules.
    The numbers are too vague. Of the 1,500 listed ADIs on the RSA site many will have given up on the business. Many will be teaching bikes, trucks and buses. Many will not get their fraction of the students because they are not good enough instructors and get no referals or repeat business. Also pretest lessons have not been factored in to the initial count.
    That said, best of luck with your business.

ADIDriving wrote: »
    Marketing is an important part of a sucessfull business. That point is accepted.
    Agree!
    The idea that many instructors have said they are not going to advertise is in my view unrealistic.
    Well this is what they said!
    Some that never advertise and just tip away on word of mouth will continue as such.
    Probably!
    Other who are expecting the new rules to suddenly help them out of their failing business, will further fail.
    Don't agree! if they advertise more than their competitors they may get the new pupils which have to do 12 lessons.
    There is not going to be any sudden change in numbers of customers. As well as permabears points, all of the current learner permit holders will need to go through the system on the old rules.
    Agree!
    The numbers are too vague. Of the 1,500 listed ADIs
    on the RSA site
    there are 1821 Full ADIs at this time with another 1230 awaiting to sit exams.
    many will have given up on the business. Many will be teaching bikes, trucks and buses.
    are ye joking; with mandatory lessons coming in. I would expect many people will become ADIs because there is no work out there. I know 5 taxi drivers who are now ADIs.
    Many will not get their fraction of the students because they are not good enough instructors and get no referals or repeat business.
    But they may get the new business as they have always.
    Also pretest lessons have not been factored in to the initial count.
    I am looking at the mandatory lessons as this was the bases of the statement made about not need to advertise.
    I think they are mad to think they will not need to advertise.
    That said, best of luck with your business.
    Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

I know of instructors that advertise alot and work very little. Advertising is a part of marketing. Don't give it too much weight. You know this yourself, as you have a strong online prescence.
    There are some well established instructors going out off business all the time. Heard some 'names' recently. This is just the way business is though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement