Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor bill-pay hidden deposit

Options
  • 14-01-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

apologies if this has been asked / seen before.. I've always been PAYG so not familiar with mobile contracts.

I was looking to get an android smartphone so had a look at meteors online bill-pay offers. signed up to the 30 euro/month deal which looks to be good value all considered. site displays cost of signup and phone (139) to be debited initially, and monthly bill cost. applied for it anyway, only to receive an email asking for another 100 euro deposit up front, which will apparently be refunded after the 6th bill (halfway through contract). I rang them about this to enquire why deposit is required, and apparently they do this for every new customer signing up. looking through the T's and C's, they say they "may" seek a deposit to "access" some or all of the services, and pending a credit check, "may" seek another deposit to do same again. Now if they do this to every customer as per the phone call, why don't they clearly advertise this fact or hint at it when being shown the initial cost, as it effectively increases the initial cost of the plan. it is IMHO false advertising. I also wasn't expecting any credit check to produce problems as I've never had before - so doubt this is the cause of it.

how do they refund the deposit after ?. knowing mobile companies, once they have your money, they will do whatever they can to fob you off and hold on to it.

If they do refund like they say they would, then I might go ahead with it, but I think the sneakiness of the deposit required has fcuked it up for me.. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's not false advertising. They are giving you credit, and are entitled to ask for a deposit.

The deposit, if you do nothing, is automatically refunded onto your 7th bill. If you wish, it can be refunded into your bank account.

You're basically accusing a national company of premeditated theft! Highly unlikely! The deposit is not known until the application is processed and staff/system users have no idea whether there will be a deposit, and how much, until they process your information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

They will also do a credit check on new customers. That may have influenced them to look for a deposit. However, here's a way to get them back if you do signup. Go to www.hssroi.groupscheme.com.Click on the Phones & Internet icon. There you can download a Voucher that will give you 20% off all 12 & 18 month tarriffs. Only downside is you have to stay with them an extra 6 months. Worth a try imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭stylers

natch they are giving you credit, but you are already paying for some of it up front in what is effectively a deposit, so why ask for another one just after the deed if (as their rep explained to me) every new customer gets asked for it anyway - I know they have to watch out for dodgy applicants but it's not what I really expected from them. and it delays the entire process. fair enough if you should get the deposit back eventually - I wasn't sure what way they do this. I didn't accuse them of theft, they haven't taken anything from me (yet). and as for "highly unlikely" - looking through the forums at other users troubles with DD and paper billed services with any company, it can and does happen it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

eircom/meteor are bust and are unable or unwilling to finance handsets for customers probably. deposits ease their financial position. unfortunately i gave them 300 euro recently as one...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭UnkieKev

I went to sign up for bill pay yesterday, she spent ages titting around with my details then tell's me "You have to pay the maximum deposit up front, it's €300" She then told me Because I was so young, which highly offended me as I looked to be older than her, and friends 2 years younger than me have gotten bill phones with no deposit or job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

I know it's a pain, but a lot of people take the very expensive phone, and never pay the bill. Meteor lose out on lets say €500. Now chasing someone in court for €500 isn't economical, so they end up taking the hit. When lots of people do it, they have a serious problem.

I singed up the the Bill Pay Lite plan for a year or so before switching to Smart 50 and getting and getting quite an expensive phone. Because I had paid my bills, I heard nothing about a deposit until one of my friends told me he had been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭UnkieKev

Just screwed the system, got my dad to sign in his name and use my bank details no deposit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I paid a deposit of €150 last June, was supposed to get it back in December...no sign of it yet!

Was actually told last week they have no record of it at all and that I'd have to prove I paid it! E-mailed them the bank statement with the €150 debited from my account and of course I haven't heard from them!

Advertisement