Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Linux Home Based Media Server

• 14-01-2011 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

My first time setting up my own server but I have read up on it. Yet I still have a few opinion-y questions that I'd like answered.
    Would I be better getting Windows Home Server?
    How much RAM should I consider for hosting multiple small to medium sized websites and maybe some other random stuff?
    Any tips on optimising performance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭swampgas

My first time setting up my own server but I have read up on it. Yet I still have a few opinion-y questions that I'd like answered.
    How much RAM should I consider for hosting multiple small to medium sized websites and maybe some other random stuff?

Those are big, open-ended questions. The answer to all those questions is ... it depends.

It depends on what your current skill set is.
    It depends on what your budget is, in money and time.
    It depends on what you want your server to do.
    It depends on what these multiple web-sites are supposed to do.

Maybe start by putting together some sort of specification for exactly what you want your server to do, and work from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Slightly off topic but do you have a business or residential broadband connection?

You do realise that running websites on a residential broadband coonection will more than likely be against your ISP's T & C?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hosting is stupid cheap, honestly just put your websites on hosting. By all mean messa round and run apache on the media PC if you want, but if you want it to be any way decent, you are going to get quicker results with a hosted service.

2GB RAM is a good target to go for. Is this going to be a media server, playback client or both?

Advertisement