Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBMC on XBOX looking for UN & PW to get access to SMB shares

• 14-01-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭

Everytime I turn on the xbox original,and go to videso and my sharefile for said videos XBMC looks for user name and password.
    I have looked all over the xbmc for a way to remove the "lock settings" on the shares.
    anyone shed any light on this plz?
    thanks
    s

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think you need to take off user authentication on the shareed files on your pc to stop it looking for a password.

Simpler thing would be to make a xbox user on your pc and just use that on your xbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I think you need to take off user authentication on the shareed files on your pc to stop it looking for a password.

Simpler thing would be to make a xbox user on your pc and just use that on your xbox

I have a xbox user on the pc,just log in as that and xbox shouldnt look for it anymore?

how to do the user authentification thingy?
    thanks
    j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Im away from an xbox at the moment, but if you add the log in details when you are creating the source it should retain them, it does for me anyways

What OS are you? just on my laptop here (Vista, should be the same for 7 too), I seem to be able to turn off authentication on share by going to network and sharing center

press start,
    click control panel
    click network
    click network and sharing center

see near the bottom of the page: Password protected sharing, knock that to off.

Im away from an xbox at the moment, but if you add the log in details when you are creating the source it should retain them, it does for me anyways

What OS are you? just on my laptop here (Vista, should be the same for 7 too), I seem to be able to turn off authentication on share by going to network and sharing center

press start,
    click control panel
    click network
    click network and sharing center

see near the bottom of the page: Password protected sharing, knock that to off.

PP sharing is set to off on windows 7
    thanks
    i will try logging into pc with xbox and trying to log into same with xbmc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Do you use Live Messenger? That's the problem.
    Go to control panel, uninstall program, Windows Live Sign-in Assistant.
    Restart the PC and the Xbox and it should work.

Bear in mind it will keep reinstalling itself.

• Advertisement

thought i have got rid of it already but will check!
    looged into pc with xbox for UN and booted up xbmc and still looking for UN and PW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Can you access the shares if you do type in a UN and PW for an account on the sharing pc?

IIRC there is a Default username and password setting for samba shares buried in the network settings in xbmc somewhere. Might be worth filling those in.

I had a similar problem before myself but it was due to the fact that the account used to add the shares to xbmc first day no longer existed, I just updated xbmc to the latest edition including all the pref files and readded the sources. (Not using library mode so no loss of db data)

As above
    Thanks

Redisle wrote: »
    Can you access the shares if you do type in a UN and PW for an account on the sharing pc?

IIRC there is a Default username and password setting for samba shares buried in the network settings in xbmc somewhere. Might be worth filling those in.

I had a similar problem before myself but it was due to the fact that the account used to add the shares to xbmc first day no longer existed, I just updated xbmc to the latest edition including all the pref files and readded the sources. (Not using library mode so no loss of db data)

Can you please link what build your using and where to source it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

That was some time ago but I got the xbmc build from xbins. Nice auto tool here. Development of the xbox version stopped a long time ago so chances are it's the same version you already have.

If you ftp in and replace all your xbmc files, then start from scrath adding your file sources you should be fine, there is an option to remember un and pw when adding sources so be sure to tick that. Make sure you replace all the preference files too. Bear in mind you will lose your library db if you are using it, so might want to back that up, can't say exactly where it's stored as Im not near an xbox. It's probably only neccessary to replace a few pref files but I wasn't bothered figuring out which ones last time so just replaced everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Can you please link what build your using and where to source it.
    Thanks

Latest builds of xbmc can be found here, newer builds have an auto updater built in .

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/forum/index.php

Advertisement