Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby constantly crying

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You should get a syringe xzanti they're fantastic for measuring stuff... I got one in the new packs of nurofen for kids no doubts about what I'm giving the girls now and less mess too!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

xzanti wrote: »
    I've been putting a little on his soother and it does help a little bit.. the box advises a 0.5ml spoonful of it.. how big would this be? a teaspoon??

He'll be 4 weeks on Thursday and he was 10 days overdue.. plus he's huge for his age..

You can get a medicine syringe from a pharmacy, this will have the dosage measurements on too.(Wouldn't recommend a spoon at that age, as if too much goes in the mouth they can choke on it).

With my first, when he had 'gripes' (windy pains), we used to hold him in the 'colic position', tummy down on the length of our arm, get your PHN to show you, it is magic! Also, regular winding during a feed, not just at the end can help.

The first few weeks are tough. You'll settle into a routine eventually and then wonder where all the time has gone!

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Zanti, If you are anywhere near kildare or crumlin I could give you a bottle of gripe water, have 2 ready to go in cupboard but i am up north this weekend so i can easily get more.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

god just reading through this thread and feel so sorry for you guys. my lo is now 4 months but she cried so much for the first 3 months.

i tried infacol, gripe water and changing her feed. i bf for a while and then used SMA from about 3 weeks but like that she was as stiff as a board after feeding. i changed to aptamil and while she was a bit better she still cried a LOT. i ended up crying myself with her most of the time, its so upsetting.

anyway, me and my cousin have a theory that babies that have a traumatic birth, like induced etc are criers. anyone ive spoken to who had a difficult labour/birth have babies that cry a lot and those whose births were easy peasy have little placid quiet babies. just a theory but im convinced!

anyway, it will get better the stronger they get. if youve tried the gripe water and infacol and its still no better i would say give another formula a go. i definately wouldnt go messing with the feed un-necessarily but if you think yourself it could be the SMA then change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

miami2007 wrote: »
    anyway, me and my cousin have a theory that babies that have a traumatic birth, like induced etc are criers. anyone ive spoken to who had a difficult labour/birth have babies that cry a lot and those whose births were easy peasy have little placid quiet babies. just a theory but im convinced!

I had a textbook, straightforward, easy delivery and my little one still cried non-stop for the first 3 months:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Vel wrote: »
    I had a textbook, straightforward, easy delivery and my little one still cried non-stop for the first 3 months:D

And I had a very traumatic birth and have the quietest little man going. We didn't even know when he was sick he was do good humoured!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

lynski wrote: »
    Zanti, If you are anywhere near kildare or crumlin I could give you a bottle of gripe water, have 2 ready to go in cupboard but i am up north this weekend so i can easily get more.

Thanks very much :) but I have a few bottles of it myself.. My Sister got me a few bottles up the North and put them into a hamper she got me.. Also the local shop sells it the odd time aswel whenever he has it in stock.. it is good stuff alright, he hoovers it off the soother lol and the Infacol has really helped a lot.. definately going to get a syringe though.. never would have thought of that.. Cheers again guys :)

My Mother has him today so I have a few hours to myself.. SILENCE aaaahhhhhhhh :D I'm off to bed for a little while :p

He's still having bouts of hysteria :( the worst I've seen was last night so we've made an appointment with an Osteopath in Rathmines as per a recommendation from a fellow Boardsie.. (thank you)

Going to see her on Thursday afternoon, fingers crossed it works for him.. it breaks my heart to see him like that :( his little face goes all purple and strained, horrible!!!

Is it mostly in the evening??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

+1 on the "Is it in the evening question?"

xzanti, have you tried Infant Gaviscon (for silent reflux)?

A quick call to your PHN and a few quid in the chemist is worth a try, imo.

• Advertisement

Yes mostly in the evenings but he still has episodes at any time of the day..

Might be worth a trip to the GP...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yes mostly in the evenings but he still has episodes at any time of the day..
    Our newborn boy was like that - mostly in the evenings but occasional also. Really straining and crying like he was going to burst.
    Infant Gaviscon saved our life*.

* Or felt like it.

I'll give the gaviscon a try, cheers..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'll give the gaviscon a try, cheers..

AFAIK you cannot give the gaviscon to such a small baby unless under medical supervision. The pharmacist will be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

god love ye. our little man seemed to cry for about 4 months. we could hardly put him down. he suffered terrible with reflux and trapped wind - we did not think a baby could have both of those but our little man did.

for us, things got a lot better when he started on solid food - the baby rice and food like that. it is very hard when your little one is crying and you are doing all you can to help the - but they keep crying.

we tried everything like gripe water, gaviscon etc but unfortunately nothing really helped much.

good luck. sleep whenever ye get the chance..

I took him to the Osteopath in Rathmines on Thursday and there is a definate difference in him.. She told me he would probably be quite unsettled for the first 24 to 48 hours and he was quite restless the first night, but last night he was like a totally different baby..

Evening time is usually his worst time but last night he just lay in moses basket cooing and smiling up at me, it was unreal.. It is still early days but fingers crossed we're on to something here :)

I have another session with her next Thursday and I'm really looking forward to it, he seemed to really enjoy it.. was all giggles and smiles to her.. She said there was a lot of tightness in the base of his skull and one of his hips had some pain.. Don't ask me how she knew this just from running her hands over him but he has been so much more relaxed since Thursday.. He was quite wirey and stiff when I held him before.. It's great to see him happy :)

*touch wood*;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - FANTASTIC NEWS! So happy to hear that the osteopath helped. I think, unfortunately, so many people don't know and/or aren't encouraged to try these types of methods and the babe's usually suffer as a result. Spread the word...if drugs & behavioural methods (ie: crying out, etc) aren't working, then it pays to try something else until you finally get to the bottom of it. Babe's don't cry for no reason.

Congrats on your new babe (and all the smiles & joys you'll share now) :D

Ayla wrote: »
    Spread the word...if drugs & behavioural methods (ie: crying out, etc) aren't working, then it pays to try something else until you finally get to the bottom of it. Babe's don't cry for no reason.
    I've been telling anyone who'll listen.. and I'll be bringing any future babies I have straight to her.. colic or not.. she has magic hands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mesu

Hi OP. New to posting, but have been looking here for advice and find it great. I have a 4 week old baby girl and she sounds just like your baby. Frantic crying when not feeding or asleep. How has he been since the osteopath? If you feel like it's made a difference to him could you post or PM me contact details for the lady you went to please? Many thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement