Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees for drainage

Options
  • 14-01-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi,we have a garden which has poor drainage,was wondering if anyone can recommend some tree types that will thrive in this soil and might even help with the drainage a bit,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm no expert, but one part of my garden was very waterlogged, so I got advice from an expert and I was advised to plant Alder. The Alder does quite well in wet and waterlogged conditions apparently. So I planted a bunch in the very wet part of the garden and they've done really well since.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Alder is excellent for wet soils... But try Salix (Willow's) for a range of different colour stems and Forms... look up ..Salix Alba Tristis....Salix alba 'chermesina'. ....Salix matsudana 'Tortuosa' and many others ...

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

so would a willow help soak up some of the water. also is there a grass that you could plant that would help bring back some normality to a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP you'd need to give more details/photo, what size is the area approx, it may not be feasible to plant trees so you'll need to look at other solutions including shrubs which tolerate wet conditions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think there's a difference between what trees will tolerate and what trees will alleviate wet conditions; don't forget that willow or alder are deciduous and will make little difference to waterlogging in the winter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement