Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multilateral Interchange Fees (Brazilian Visa card paying for something in Ireland)

Options
  • 14-01-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

Hi there, just a question to see if any of you can help me. I work as an English teacher in Ireland. Last week one of our students paid tuition fees using a Brazilian Visa card. The fees came to €2000. However, a week later, his bank statement has shown up that €2182 was transferred. Is it normal for bank charges to be this high when paying with a Brazilian Visa card in Euro in a Eurozone country?

I've told him to contact his bank to see what the story is. I was wondering has anyone used a foreign currency Visa card to pay for something in Ireland and get hit by exorbitant bank charges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

In my experience, it depends on whether its credit or debit. If its credit (i.e. the banks money) then they usually charge an currency exchange fee and international bank charges. The only way around this is to use debit or have your credit card on the positive side so you're only using your own money, however they might still charge an exchange fee. I would contact the bank to get a breakdown of the fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Thanks lil_Lisa, yeah I told him to contact his bank, I guess we'll have to wait til Monday and see what they tell him.

It does seem very high, nearly 10%, do you know is that standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Thanks lil_Lisa, yeah I told him to contact his bank, I guess we'll have to wait til Monday and see what they tell him.

This happened before when my GF both airline tickets for Aer Lingus (back to Ireland to meet the parents) and She was charged something similar on a BOA credit card. I always use certain Visa cards in Ireland, when I return, and some charge insane fees, and some don't at alll!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Its totally at the discretion of the bank.

The student should check the T&Cs on their account

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Hi there, just a question to see if any of you can help me. I work as an English teacher in Ireland. Last week one of our students paid tuition fees using a Brazilian Visa card. The fees came to €2000. However, a week later, his bank statement has shown up that €2182 was transferred. Is it normal for bank charges to be this high when paying with a Brazilian Visa card in Euro in a Eurozone country?

I've told him to contact his bank to see what the story is. I was wondering has anyone used a foreign currency Visa card to pay for something in Ireland and get hit by exorbitant bank charges?

Might depend on a few things: 2% interchange fee (his credit card to his bank?)
    3% international transaction fee and another few percent for currency purchase, for example (was the Visa in Reals?).

• Advertisement
Advertisement