Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Infra Red colour slide film

• 14-01-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Bought this roll sometime in summer 2003 and it went out of date in 2005. Finally managed to get to shoot it about 18 months ago while on a boat on the shannon and finished it off at the skatepark. Forgot what was even on the roll!

The slides themselves look amazing. Sadly, my old neg scanner lets me down again so the colours and contrast are nothign compared to the positives.

Just happy after 5-6 years after being out of date and finding somewhere to get it processed they turned out.

5354981239_5004275b60_z.jpg

5354987619_e1b6275c39_z.jpg

5354990571_b2fcb74026_z.jpg

5354993809_5f17b52f9a_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

whoa amazing shots! what is infra red colour slide film...exactly? I've never heard of it, I'm intrigued!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It doesn't see "regular" light but light that's out of our visual spectrum. You need to use a specific yellow filter to get it to work properly. Someone else on here has done TONS of work with IR film with way way better results from me.

There's no point shooting in a dull day as there will be little IR reflection from surfaces.

The film I shot should be processed AR-5 (for aerial photography, as different plants, crop, healthy/diseased crop will show up different etc....)
    If you use the filter you can get it processed E6 (regular slide) or E3 (3bath as opposed to 6 bath) as long as the lab knows NOT to use the IR mask on there machine that see frame numbers etc as that would blow the IR on the film.

It's really delicate to use as well. It needs to be refrigerated until used and ideally processed within 24 hours.

The scans I made are truly terrible. The slides are amazing :(

The focal point for IR light is different to regular light to. Some older/pro lenses have an IR marker to correct for the focal shift.

I'm dying to get to shoot some more!!!!

You can get BW IR film like Ilford SFX but it isn't really true IR. I've got a roll of that in my fridge about 7 years as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Love the shots Pete, if the negs are better they must be out of this world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I think that the colours on the scans look class.

Thanks!!!! I was SO exited when I saw the slides and SO depressed with the scans :(

The BMX ones were hopefully going to be used for some adverts but not with those scans :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pete - you say it doesn't see light in the visible spectrum; i always assumed it did, but it could *also* see stuff outside the visible spectrum.
    the notion of colour outside the visible spectrum essentially has no meaning, so the yellow pants on the rider wouldn't come out yellow?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the film does see some visible light. I mean if you don't use a filter, don't switch the IR mask off in the lab machine you still get an image, albeit not an IR one.

All my knowledge of IR film has come from seeing others results and going from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Nice shots with great action.

If interested in B&W infrared film then try Ilford's SFX (mild IR effect), Rollei IR400 and Efke 820c (both strong IR effecs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

What was the name of the film pete?

sineadw wrote: »
    What was the name of the film pete?

I think it was Kodak EIR colour slide film. It was the only one Gunns stocked back then. I haven't seen the canister in ages because it's loaded and unloaded in the dark and kept in a black film canister. There's no real ISO rating because IR can't really be rated depending on how bright it is. It's meant to be rated anywhere from ISO 200 to ISO 320. I rated mine at ISO 250. Definitely bracket shots. Some of mine were far too dark. Expect 12 shots from a roll of 36 with decent results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It's long discontinued from what I remember. I got a hankering to shoot some ages ago but the prices scared me off. There was/is a guy on the net respooling kodak aerographic 70mm onto 120, same stuff apparently but again, extortinate prices. I wanted to try some portraiture. I've seen some colour IR portraits that were just great.
    MB, how it works apparently is that the red layer is sensitive to IR, the green layer is sensitive to red, and the blue layer is sensitive to green. And all three layers are sensitive to blue, hence the neccessity for a yellow or orange filter to filter it out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the old d50 is quite partial to conversion to ir, might consider getting the conversion done, can't see the results touching this tho... :-(

Darren Greene gets some lovely shots out of his D50 Mele without conversion, but you won't get the same as colour IR film AFAIK. I've shot a fair amount of IR in both film and digital. I've never been able to get my hands on the colour film :( Although shooting colour digital and swapping out the colours in the channel mixer gets some gorgeous results, with digital you're not shifting the colours as Daire said, you're using a filter to block most of the visible light so that only the light in the infrared spectrum hits the sensor. I'm sure you could get something similar using PS, but it kind of defeats the purpose.

I could be wrong here. Open to correction!

Darren Greene gets some lovely shots out of his D50 Mele without conversion, but you won't get the same as colour IR film AFAIK. I've shot a fair amount of IR in both film and digital. I've never been able to get my hands on the colour film :( Although shooting colour digital and swapping out the colours in the channel mixer gets some gorgeous results, with digital you're not shifting the colours as Daire said, you're using a filter to block most of the visible light so that only the light in the infrared spectrum hits the sensor. I'm sure you could get something similar using PS, but it kind of defeats the purpose.

I guess you -could- get something that might approximate it by shooting a frame of IR, then a normal colour frame, then doing a B&W conversion on the IR frame, using it as the new red channel on your colour shot and shifting the rest of the channels to something similar to the way HIE does it.Probably be really only an approximation and of course requires multiple shots.

This is the guy respooling onto 120:
    http://www.tarquinius.de/

€19 a roll :-0

Yeah I think unpaid £18 or €18 back then. Wish I'd stocked up now!!! :(

This is the guy respooling onto 120:
    http://www.tarquinius.de/

€19 a roll :-0

Ah goddammit! Emailed...

Ah goddammit! Emailed...

:D

Ah goddammit! Emailed...

Can't wait to see what you get from it! Be aware that the only place I could get slide dev'd in Dublin was in Photocare in Abbey Street. I was on a short trip home so had no choice. For 35mm they charge €8.50 dev only and €18.50 dev and scan. I wish I got them to scan it now but I didn't want to spend €18.50 on a blank roll!

pete4130 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see what you get from it! Be aware that the only place I could get slide dev'd in Dublin was in Photocare in Abbey Street.

Yeah they're the only crowd left here who do E6 retail. Quality is good though. The guy who runs the place posts here occasionally, he's explained the prices before. Given the low volumes they have to charge that much just to keep it ticking over and cover costs.
    I'm all out of C-41 chems at the moment, the next time I go down to gunns to get them I think I'll pick up the fuji hunt E6 kit aswell. It'll pay for itself inside of 5 rolls :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is all correct, I've done quit a bit of infrared with my D70s. So I'm struggling to get my head around how this film works. The vast majority of the exposure has got to be regular light, perhaps with infrared lending some unusual details or qualities to it. Shots look great by the way.

EDIT: Thinking about it, the yellow filter presumably blocks the blue and green top half of the normal spectrum (but if it doesn't block the lower half then shouldn't it look orangey red rather than yellow?), so if the modified sensitivity of the film opened up the extra infrared lower part then it could be described as shifting the whole lot down a tier (unless the filter only let's in yellow and infrared, in which case you've got a new and strange spectrum in operation...). Interesting. I'd be very curious to speak to an actual engineer/chemist who knows the science behind this and could attest to exactly how much the film reacts to infrared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

There are postal labs in UK like Fuji, who are way cheaper than €18 euro .... i had scratched negatives back from Photocare in 120 colour with a camera that had no issues whatsoever of scratching negs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

I'm all out of C-41 chems at the moment, the next time I go down to gunns to get them I think I'll pick up the fuji hunt E6 kit aswell. It'll pay for itself inside of 5 rolls :-)

I'm using the Tetenal E6 Kit, and it's very good. I've mostly run Provia and Velvia through it. Two rolls at a time in a Paterson tank. 1L of mix should process 12 rolls 35mm E6, and maybe more if you're careful. Costs about €30 for 1L kit, about €90 for the 5L kit. No more difficult (really) than black and white film development.

I was looking at the 3 bath kit in Gunns a while back. I just don't have the time at the moment though. For anything really..

I'll get them dev'd and scan them myself in college :D Ordered the roll - €24 including shipping :eek: For 12 shots :eek: And then another €9 for dev :eek::eek: Pete - I don't want to have to bracket at that price. How many stops did you bracket before you were getting good exposures do you remember?

I didn't actually bracket my shots at all. The first half of the shots was on a stag do on a boat on the Shannon. Some of those shots can't be posted (or ever seen online!). It was great weather and a chance to shoot the film after so long. I needed to finish the rest of the film asap because your meant to literally take it out of the fridge, shoot and process as quickly as possible.

I rated mine at ISO 250 or ISO 320 and was lucky enough it was a really bright sunny day and it worked out perfect for me.

What could be an idea is to get a loan of somebody who has a D50 or D70/s IR converted and use that as a digital proof maybe?

I was really tense when leaving mine is, especially when I got a call the following day from the lab saying it was AR-5 and not E6.

I say just wait for a really sunny day, with lots of foliage about (lots to ask for at this time of the year I know!) and hope it works out, which if my shots are anything to go by, then they should.

The only lens I could use when shooting my roll was my Sigma 15-30mm because it has the rear slot for the gel filter. So I was limited lens wise and I think the wideness of the lens lent to some slightly underexposed shots along the shannon (that and 4 days stinking drunk on a boat) isn't ideal for great shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I made some enquiries about EIR and Aerochrome III 1443, through work to
    the European/Russian/Africa authorised dealer. They have nothing left at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

This just popped up in my twitter feed about Richard Mosse from The British Journal of Photography

&

http://www.bennici.net/

second link is the guy I ordered off Trish :)

Advertisement