Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading old PC, just RAM?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

The GigaByte page for that mainboard page here;
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2521#sp
    shows that it can take DDR2 PC2-5300 memory and is dual channel.
    It looks like you have just one stick in your machine atm.
    It would be best to get a matched pair to utilise the dual channel features.

I'd suggest getting another 1GB stick of the exact same make and size as the one you have....
    Or buy a new matched pair of RAM... Max 2x2GB for that that mainboard.

1GB stick is about €20 or €30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

W8Xhr.jpg
    Thanks for the reply.

Just a little confused about the max memory amount, the link you have from the official site says 4gb max, but in everst and CPU-Z (and all the online configs) the max is 2gb. Is the one on the gigabyte site a newer model or something?

Also my CPU comes up as a 1.6GHz but also in the same program its clock speed is given as 1200MHz. Are these not the same thing?
    VvLzW.jpg

Thanks again.

np, Opinicus, glad to help.

I'd go with the manual specs as being more accurate.
    According to the manual it says;
    • 2 DDRII DIMM memory slots (supports up to 4 GB memory)
    • Supports dual channel DDRII 667/533 unbuffered DIMMs
    • Supports 1.8V DDRII DIMMs
    Your machine would definetly benefit from even an extra 1GB of RAM, to get it working as dual channel RAM, Vista especially needs a lot of RAM. Is there only one stick of RAM in machine?

I can't find a 1GB of the same Melco Ram that you have,
    but Memoryc.com has a suitable 2x2GB for €51 - http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr2ram/4gbteamelitepc25300kit.html

But of course, if you do add 2x2GB, and your Vista is 32-bit version, only 3.4GB or something of that RAM will be used by OS. Only 64-Bit windows can address all 4GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Opinicus wrote: »
    Also my CPU comes up as a 1.6GHz but also in the same program its clock speed is given as 1200MHz.

Don't worry about that. That's just speedstep underclocking your processor from 1.6GHz to 1.2GHz when it's idle, to save power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Perhaps you are running an older version of Photoshop and the like, but I seem to recall that the newer versions recommend a minimum of 2GB RAM.

As Moon54 suggested, if you are running an older 32-bit OS (XP for example) then you wont avail of all the RAM. I run a fairly high end machine but because I did a bit of cost saving and used my old copy of XP (as opposed to shelling out for Win 7) about 0.5GB RAM isn't recognised. Still, I've got an automatic upgrade whenever I switch over to Win 7.

In short, if your machine allows for 4GB then install 4GB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Moon54 wrote: »

I can't find a 1GB of the same Melco Ram that you have,
    but Memoryc.com has a suitable 2x2GB for €51 - http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr2ram/4gbteamelitepc25300kit.html

Nice one, €51 looks like good value, thought it would cost way more!

Perhaps you are running an older version of Photoshop and the like, but I seem to recall that the newer versions recommend a minimum of 2GB RAM.

I have CS4, it will run but it's kind of slow if you're adding filters and stuff like that, especially with big images.
    Monotype wrote: »
    Don't worry about that. That's just speedstep underclocking your processor from 1.6GHz to 1.2GHz when it's idle, to save power.

Whew! Puts my mind to rest, thanks.

Was just looking at the specs for my CPU and it said it was 64-bit capable. So I could run windows 64 bit if I wanted? Probably no point though as I don't really need something that intensive.
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29738
    3Idpv.jpg

OK one last question. Do I have to mess around with the BIOS or anything when I install it? Or is it just as easy as switch off, replace RAM, switch on?

Yeah, no need to mess with BIOS or anything.

Just the usual care is all that's required when handling sensitive electronics,
    beware of static, don't touch the RAM sticks connections.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just make sure you touch something metal like the pc case or a radiator to discharge any static buildup in your body and just pop it in
    it may feel like it is not going to fit but once you have the memory lined up correctly which you can tell from the gap in the memory then it is just a case of applying a good bit of pressure until it sits in properly

Advertisement