Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sandybridge Build - Looking for opinions

Options
  • 14-01-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

In a couple of weeks i am planning to build a new rig.

My current spec is:

Case = CM Stacker 832
    Mobo = EVGA nForce 680i A1
    CPU = Q6600 (G0)
    Cooler = CNPS9700OCZ
    Ram = Reaper X HPC PC6400 4GB
    GPU = BFG GTX285 OC
    Power supply = Enermax Galaxy 1kw
    Sound = X-FI Fatal1ty
    Hard Drives = 1TB WD Black & 1TB Hitachi & 1TB Samsung

I am planning on keeping my sound card, two of the HD's and GPU and maybe the Power Supply and transferring them to the new build.

I have another 8800GTS which i will put into the current rig and sell it.

I also am keeping my 24" Monitor and i have a copy of Windows 7.

The components i am thinking about are as follows:

Ck3FY.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Definitely hold onto your old PSU, they're a good decent PSU. Everything looks good, HAF X is a great case, HUGE but great :P You have two CPU coolers down though??
    I'm going upgrading to Sandy from a Q6600 as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Definitely hold onto your old PSU, they're a good decent PSU. Everything looks good, HAF X is a great case, HUGE but great :P You have two CPU coolers down though??
    I'm going upgrading to Sandy from a Q6600 as well ;)

The PSU was 200 pounds when i bought it in July 2007 :eek: . A good PSU is important though so i thought why not.

I will buy an average PSU and put it in the old case i think then.

I have two coolers because i am not sure yet if they clear the ram etc.

when i find out i will delete one of them.

I really do not want to have to send stuff back so want to ensure i have enough clearance.

I went for the HAF-X case for its good reviews on enabling a tidy build. My stacker 832 is a big case but not much in the way of enabling you to keep cables tidy in my opinion

I went for the MSI Mobo as i am reading that the Asus pro is having some initial teething problems

What components are you thinking about going for Cian?

moonboy52 wrote: »
    The PSU was 200 pounds when i bought it in July 2007 :eek: . A good PSU is important though so i thought why not.

I will buy an average PSU and put it in the old case i think then.

I have two coolers because i am not sure yet if they clear the ram etc.

when i find out i will delete one of them.

I really do not want to have to send stuff back so want to ensure i have enough clearance.

I went for the HAF-X case for its good reviews on enabling a tidy build. My stacker 832 is a big case but not much in the way of enabling you to keep cables tidy in my opinion

I went for the MSI Mobo as i am reading that the Asus pro is having some initial teething problems

What components are you thinking about going for Cian?
    Very similiar, I'm going with an i7 2600k, MSI P67A-G65 and 4GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM. The RAM is already on it's way to me but the processor and mobo still aren't in stock :(

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Very similiar, I'm going with an i7 2600k, MSI P67A-G65 and 4GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM. The RAM is already on it's way to me but the processor and mobo still aren't in stock :(

Who did you go with?

A guy on the overclockers forum is saying that if you go SLI then the power led and speaker connections are covered and cannot be used.

Have you read or heard anything about that Cian?

• Advertisement

Who did you go with?
    I'm getting th processor from Komplett.ie and the board from pixmania.ie
    A guy on the overclockers forum is saying that if you go SLI then the power led and speaker connections are covered and cannot be used.

Have you read or heard anything about that Cian?
    Haven't heard anything but I do know that with my current board which is a socket 775 Asus Rampage Formula has a similar problem when using a dual slot card in the bottom PCI-E slot. However it doesn't completely stop you from using the headers, just slightly bends the connectors.

Let us know how the build goes Cian.

Plenty of photos :)

Advertisement