Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teaching Council

Options
  • 14-01-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

just wondering what options are there regarding the Teaching Council. I am a pernament teacher who seriously begrudges giving 90 euro for the honour of renewing membership. like a lot of others, money is tight. what can the council do if i dont renew membership. There used to be a threat of not getting paid but is this true????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

Yes, for last couple of years, you have to be registered with them to get paid. Other than that bit of persuasion, I haven't, as yet, seen any other advantage to being a member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Buachaillin Bo

Incorrect to say that you could not be paid if you were not a member of the teaching council. This was one of the many sly ploys used by the TC to scare teachers in to joining their organisation.

I too have many gripes with the TC. I am a fully qualified and probated primary teacher. I am as yet still not a member of the TC and would wish to remain this way. The latest TC tactic I have heard is that summer courses will become mandatory and to register for a course you will need a TC number.

This is only the latest in a long line of bully tactics employs by an unnecessary organisation...i could go on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭cucbuc

From teaching council website: (F.A.Q.)

17. I am not registered with The Teaching Council. Why do I have to register?

Only teachers included on the Register can be employed in recognised schools and paid from State monies once Section 30 of The Teaching Council Act, 2001 comes into effect. The Council has been advised by the Department of Education and Science that the legislative process for the enactment of Section 30 has commenced. The Department of Education and Science also requires all new school appointees to be registered.

That being said, the decision on whether or not to register is a matter for each and every teacher, having regard to his or her circumstances and the legal situation.

18. What is the situation with regard to Section 30 of The Teaching Council Act, 2001 relating to mandatory registration?

Section 30 of The Teaching Council Act, 2001 requires that teachers receiving a State-funded salary must be registered. This section of the Act has not yet been brought into force by the Minister for Education and Science. The commencement date for Section 30 of The Teaching Council Act, 2001, is a matter for the Minister. The Council has been advised that the legislative process for the enactment of Section 30 has commenced.

I understand fully the legalities of the situation and the fear which forced many of my colleagues to join an organisation that they never wanted.

My questions are around whether it is correct or right to be forcing teachers who do not agree with the fundamentals of this organisation to buy into creating another layer of bureaucracy in our system. The duplicity of the work of the TC is laughable if it weren't so serious. Ask teachers who have gone through the system of registering qualifications with the TC and then being told by the Dept. that the exact same process needs to be undertaken with them?
    So my frequently asked question remains, what has the teaching council ever done for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 redrory

There are roughly 55,052 teachers in ireland paying 90 euro each. do the maths!!!! has the teaching council ever published where this money goes to? I registered this year but i am going to call their bluff next year and see.

• Advertisement

I'm sure figures could be produced to explain exactly where these monies have been spent...they have been spent completing the functions of the DES, the teaching unions and, of late, the NCCA.
    The fee has been increased three-fold since its introduction and the tax-relief survived the last budget but won't last indefinitely that's for sure.

Advertisement