Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Refund/Compensation?

Options
  • 14-01-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I flew to was due to fly to New York on the 2nd December at 10am, but due to the snow the flight was delayed until 2pm, which was then moved another few times. Flight took off at 7.30 that evening.

We were given food etc. so no issues there.

I did read that if a transatlantic flight is delayed for more than 5 hours compensation or a full refund may be available. (Protection for Airline Passengers - Regulation 261/2004/EC)

I contacted Delta about this and they said they'd give me 100 of my next booking with them.

Is this all Im entitled to, or is it worth pursuing further?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Full refund even though you got your flight....cant see that happening tbh,

Food and 100e off your next flight for something beyond their reasinable control is very good tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

did you take the flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I am assuming you did take the flight in which case as they gave you food and refreshments, they fulfilled their obligations.

After five hours you could have exercised your right to abandon the flight and ask for a full refund. In addition, if you had lost a connection by virtue of the delay, they would be obliged to refund you the cost of the wasted leg if you know what I mean but I don't think this is applicable in this case anyway.

If you boarded the plane and completed the journey then they have no further obligations and anything they are offering you is goodwill and ex gratia.

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/contact_us/faq/air_travel/index_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Good work. Thought as much.

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement