Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consequences of breaking a contract

Options
  • 14-01-2011 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

If a person had a contract with a letting agency for a 6 bed room house and paid them an amount for the whole house, what would be the consequence of staying in the house and charging people to stay in the other free 5 bedrooms?
    Can it lead to instant dismissal from the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Re-read the contract and see what it said about subletting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Re-read the contract and see what it said about subletting

its not my contract, its the guy im paying the rent to so im not sure, i dont quiet see the problem, if one person is paying for a whole house then how do they expect them to pay for it without some kind of subletting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

There are no grounds for INSTANT dismissal from the property, but the renter is probably in breach of his lease agreement, in which case the could tenancy could be terminated after 14 days notice to rectify the situation and 28 day notice to terminate - i.e. 42 days.

Any damage caused by the sub-letters could lead to forfeiture of the renters security deposit.

The lease agreement will have to be examined.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    There are no grounds for INSTANT dismissal from the property, but the renter is probably in breach of his lease agreement, in which case the could tenancy could be terminated after 14 days notice to rectify the situation and 28 day notice to terminate - i.e. 42 days.

Any damage caused by the sub-letters could lead to forfeiture of the renters security deposit.

The lease agreement will have to be examined.

Thanks a bunch, alot of that was a big help!
    the house is in fine condition except for normal wear and tear, also the thing im confused about is the landlord KNOWS the situation but it still seems to be in breach of the letting agencies policy. Most important thing, however affects the person with the lease, how does this affect me.
    ALSO his contract comes to an end in two weeks would this make any difference?

If the LL knows and is not trowing everyone out then I dont see what the problem is. The LL would over rule the letting agency as this is who the contract is with. Chanches are he is happy getting his rent. Most leases state no sub letting.

person with the lease - He has breached the lease and can be evicted as can anyone else who lives there AFAIK as they are illegally in the house. Again if the LL know . . . .

his contract comes to an end in two weeks would this make any difference - Is someone taking over the contract or is he staying on?

• Advertisement

If the LL knows and is not trowing everyone out then I dont see what the problem is. The LL would over rule the letting agency as this is who the contract is with. Chanches are he is happy getting his rent. Most leases state no sub letting.

person with the lease - He has breached the lease and can be evicted as can anyone else who lives there AFAIK as they are illegally in the house. Again if the LL know . . . .

his contract comes to an end in two weeks would this make any difference - Is someone taking over the contract or is he staying on?

he's leaving in two weeks, getting a different place

From what you say you have no lease with the LL and therefore must leave with leaseholder. If you want to stay on ring the LL and ask if ye can take over the lease

Advertisement