Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zhivago... finito?

Options
  • 15-01-2011 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Just with all the threads about places that did or didn't go bang since christmas. I hear the last bastion of Irish record shops is gone Wallop. Sorry for all the staff but I suppose it's been coming for a while.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

It was closed early today but it said it was for stock take. Hopefully it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Just with all the threads about places that did or didn't go bang since christmas. I hear the last bastion of Irish record shops is gone Wallop. Sorry for all the staff but I suppose it's been coming for a while.

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

As much as I dislike Zhivago, it's obviously a well-known establishment in Galway. Losing it would be like Dublin losing Bewley's on Grafton Street. It would be a shame to see it go.

The grammar nazi in me always cringed when I looked at their new sign. Someone needs to tell them it's DVDs, not Dvd's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bigtuna wrote: »
    It was closed early today but it said it was for stock take. Hopefully it's not.

Closing Early on a Friday is odd, it would be busy, or at least busier than mid-week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Half price sale last weekend and closed since then for stocktake.... 5 days for a stock take?
    They did say on the signs that they would be open Friday.... they weren't... Anyways, spoke to two people in shops nearby. One said they were 110% certain it was gone as had spoken to staff there, second said they were boxing up things during week and a liquidator is going to be appointed. Not in the papers yet or picked up here yet so said I'd post.
    I'm sure this will be locked soon but opened again with peoples fond memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Tbf, they've been going downhill for ages but back in the early 2000's (when I first stumbled into Galway) it was a great shop.

Zhivago is gone? That's mad. Then again it was quite a long time coming; once HMV opened it's doors in Galway, it was only a matter of time until they went out of business, which is made worse that that HMV may close - has it been confirmed which are closing in Ireland?

Is this closure confirmed or is it still speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

A confirmed source would still be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

how in the name of god can a shop that for decades had a monopoly on music in galway go bust!!
    I never really bought anything in there cause i always thought it was a rip off but the place was always packed.
    I wonder did they get greedy and mortgage the business on some field.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

skelliser wrote: »
    how in the name of god can a shop that for decades had a monopoly on music in galway go bust!!
    I never really bought anything in there cause i always thought it was a rip off but the place was always packed.
    I wonder did they get greedy and mortgage the business on some field.

Cause so many people get music online, and/or go to HMV instead.

• Advertisement

the place was always packed

When was the last time you were in Zhivago, 2002? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That's a pity they were as good as hmv for most things (that I wanted at least) and often had stuff a bit cheaper than hmv, or metal stuff you wouldn't find in hmv.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

HMV going..? Zhivago gone..?

is this the start of the end of physical music distribution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Hmmm...It was a long slow death from a great shop, to little more than a budget knic-knac store....I bought my first Album (U2 - Boy) there, on cassette :-) Ah.. the memories.....

I think that the recession had little to do with this closure.

Bad news though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Caitlinn

If they are closed for good it's a shame (especially for the staff) but I saw it coming since they closed their Eyre Square branch.

Are there actually rumors that HMV might be closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Sad to hear this news but not shocked. As some else said, it became a Knick Knacks store. Have't bought a CD in years an always go to HMV if I need to buy any BluRay.

Feel really bad for the staff, always really cool people through the years.

My Dad is really gonna miss the place, he'll have nowhere to go to get his country n Western an Irish Country stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A great shame. Most of us got our first tapes/CDs in zhivago. It's sad to see it reduced to this.

You'd really start to wonder what the year holds for the locally owned shops here. Will there be tumbleweed blowing up Shop Street by 2012? It must be frightening to be in retail now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Are there actually rumors that HMV might be closing?

It was in the news last week that HMV are closing stores in towns/ cities where they have more than one shop. They said they didn't expect closures in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Guys nobody has given a good source so far so let's not mourn the loss just yet.

• Advertisement

Ifield.
    Because it doesn't have a monopoly anymore. Was in earlier in the week and thought the shelves were bare. It is a pity to loose it if it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Spent a lot of money in there over the years when they were a cd and dvd shop but then they started bringing in all sorts of crap, touristy Irish things, poor quality band tshirts and toys. Thats when I gave up on them as their selection had diminished so much. It was more about pushing the crap than what they used to sell. A great shop in its day but if it does go I cant say I'm surprised at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Thats a pity to hear about Zhivago but it dosen't surprise me

Many a visit over the last 20 years spent browsing their cd racks. It was always one of the reasons I would head into the city centre.

The last few years though I reckon all similar cd/dvd stores have taken a severe hit with online music..... the recession is the killer blow!

To be honest, 10 years from now we might all be wondering what a record store once was.....HMW, Virgin, Zhivago...they will all be relics of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Even multinationals like HMV are under pressure so I guess it's not too surprising that Zhivago may have reached the end of the line. A pity as I used to live in the place years ago buying CD's but even I haven't been in the place in a good few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think they started selling "gifts" because they saw the writing on the wall vis a vis CD and DVD sales. They were trying to diversify their interests... I actually liked the stuff near the back... cute stationery, hand bags & wallets, welcome mats... didn't buy it though because I certainly didn't need any more stuff!

(The oirish stuff near the front was crap)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Pool4Life

I was talking to a Staff member they were told yesterday it's closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Once cdwow started free shipping to Ireland in 2000ish, it was only a matter of time. I remember the same new release cd being £21 in Zhivago and £22 in Golden Discs versus £12 on cdwow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

IF this is true this is a sad day for Galway :(

Zhivagos provided me with hours of browsing and listening for probably the last 16 years or so!
    Used to buy loads in there,cds,tapes,vinyls,dvds etc.

It was obvious they were changing route with the non music/dvd items to make it viable.

Again,still not confirmed by anyone yet.just like during the week i had someone SWEAR to me that the skeff was closed only to do a bit of research myself and apparently they were closed to repair pipe/water damage and they ARE very much still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

dont forget those **** tesco, their buying power is so strong that they can buy most products cheaper add their mark up and their sale price is still lower than most local business can buy the product for. There was a good documentary on one of the uk channels a few years ago on their affect on towns. They turned some UK towns into ghost towns with their hyper markets, petrol stations and express shops.

Its slowly happening in Ireland to the following sectors:
    -petrol stations
    -corner stores
    -specialty shops which offer a good selection/service such as:
    -off licenses
    -music shops
    -bakerys
    -list is endless

and thats not to mention what they are doing to the local food growers in ireland.

We all feel good when we get a bargain in tesco(cd/loaf/milk) but its bad for us in the long term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

996tt wrote: »
    dont forget those **** tesco, their buying power is so strong that they can buy most products cheaper add their mark up and their sale price is still lower than most local business can buy the product for. There was a good documentary on one of the uk channels a few years ago on their affect on towns. They turned some UK towns into ghost towns with their hyper markets, petrol stations and express shops.

Its slowly happening in Ireland to the following sectors:
    -petrol stations
    -corner stores
    -specialty shops which offer a good selection/service such as:
    -off licenses
    -music shops
    -bakerys
    -list is endless

and thats not to mention what they are doing to the local food growers in ireland.

We all feel good when we get a bargain in tesco(cd/loaf/milk) but its bad for us in the long term

Sadly, and ultimately, the main thing that matters to MOST consumers is price.

While I am sorry to hear the name Zhivago will no longer be associated with Galway, business close due to market pressures. With some luck a new business will take its place. A business that will be able to take advantage of cheaper rents, cheaper wages and opportunities to negotiate cheaper prices with suppliers.
    It is sadly a sign of the times we live in.

Advertisement