Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoW2 Retribution Or How Much I HATE Pre-Order Packs

Options
  • 15-01-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

So yeah, just noticed this on Steam and presume it'll be the same in the few b&m that sell PC games any more.
    Five different pre-order packs and rather than the upgrade stuff being generic enough and effecting every game you play pretty much, they've decided to go down the road of race exclusive packs. SO if you buy the Eldar artwork box you get perks for only the Eldar etc.
    Kind of crap imo and signifigantly worse than the usual pre-order nonsense which usually just adds a little bit of a difference and can at least be used every time you roll a char, start a new campaign or whatever.:(

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

There is actually 6 different pre-order packs. The 6th one is for the Tyranids which is exclusive to the THQ online store.

All packs will be available for purchase as DLC after release. So basically pre-ordering gives you one for free.

You get all 6 packs if you buy the collectors edition which I believe is only available in b&m stores and not available digitally. Will cost at least €10 more for the collectors edition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

b and m? are they in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

b and m? are they in ireland?

I think the lads are referring to "Bricks & Mortar" i.e. retail stores such as Gamestop or Smyths rather than online stores.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

rcdk1 wrote: »
    I think the lads are referring to "Bricks & Mortar" i.e. retail stores such as Gamestop or Smyths rather than online stores.

oh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Azza wrote: »
    There is actually 6 different pre-order packs. The 6th one is for the Tyranids which is exclusive to the THQ online store.

All packs will be available for purchase as DLC after release. So basically pre-ordering gives you one for free.

You get all 6 packs if you buy the collectors edition which I believe is only available in b&m stores and not available digitally. Will cost at least €10 more for the collectors edition.
    Not as bad as I thought then but still annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Azza wrote: »

It's available on Amazon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,318 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Multiplayer games start going downhill when you can purchase competitive advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Didn't they spend many patches getting multiplayer balanced – this will probably bring them back to square one right?

The thing I never liked about the multiplayer was that with so few units in play it felt like you had very little chance to make a mistake.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah expansions tend to do reset the balance but that can't be helped.

New factions mean new balance issues. Hard to blame developers though, balance is a very hard to achieve internally before the game is released.

After a games gone public a much larger pool of players will examine every gameplay mechanic to the ends of the earth looking for an edge and then the broken strategies appear that quickly spread like wildfire online.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,318 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

grizzly wrote: »
    Didn't they spend many patches getting multiplayer balanced – this will probably bring them back to square one right?

The thing I never liked about the multiplayer was that with so few units in play it felt like you had very little chance to make a mistake.
    Its a tactics game not a strategy game, but then SC2 is the same way... I never play competitive RTS because I just dont have the reflexes and capacity for it half the time. You play 3 solid matches of SC2 and you are mentally drained. Same with DoW2 despite the rounds being shorter most of the time. Generals was fun because my roomies were all turtles like me, it was just a matter of keeping their tank factories down by hiding jets off their coastline - the water was blue and so was my minimap color!

Turn-based, thats the way I need to go. Where did I leave that copy of Civ IV I bought but never played??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Overheal wrote: »
    Multiplayer games start going downhill when you can purchase competitive advantages.

Any exclusives are only usable in Singleplayer and not Multiplayer, only difference would be skins in MP.

Advertisement