Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

judo rules

• 15-01-2011 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

Ok can't find the thread that talk about this so I'm going to go ahead anyway as far as I know and pointed out to me many times in training you can't do a leg pick up but i was watching sky sports 4 today and international judo world circuit was on so I watch it and some russian won a few matches with a leg pick up with his knee helping him to finish the throw.

So whats the deal on judo board allowing the.leg pick up while the other banned it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Kinda hard to understand your question but I'll try to answer.

You are only allowed to use your hands to lift a leg or foot as a counter to a throw, or in a combination technique where you either throw or sweep and the leg has moved off the ground.

Thats probably what you saw some Russian guy doing on sky sports.
    (You are not allowed to just pick a leg up, if you do you will be disqualified)

Thats a very simple explanation though, so if you consult the IJF website there is a full set of rules, and should be information in regards to the recent changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

i understand the rules to it,

but what i saw was he went down scooped the leg up, then while he lifted the leg up he turn the guys body, while the other person was in the Air, he lifted his knee into his other leg and then dropped him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cork24 wrote: »
    i understand the rules to it,

but what i saw was he went down scooped the leg up, then while he lifted the leg up he turn the guys body, while the other person was in the Air, he lifted his knee into his other leg and then dropped him.

You don't remember the names involved?.

Judovision.org has a pretty good collection of fights.

Its really hard to say what happened without viewing the fight, sorry.

The new rules re. leg grabs are awfully confusing to most people and (to most people) detrimental to Judo.

There's also a lot of discussion re. the rules over on judoforum.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Sound to me like Cork24 is describing a variation of Te Guruma commonly
    called a "Khabarelli" after Shota Khabarelli who popularised it. If you're in
    cork Cork24 and Georgian Alex is still around he would be the man to show
    it to you.

AFAIK it's permissible to do a leg grab one your oponent has taking an
    over the should grip, which would be the classic position of the excution
    of this technique

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Burnt wrote: »
    Sound to me like Cork24 is describing a variation of Te Guruma commonly
    called a "Khabarelli" after Shota Khabarelli who popularised it. If you're in
    cork Cork24 and Georgian Alex is still around he would be the man to show
    it to you.

AFAIK it's permissible to do a leg grab one your oponent has taking an
    over the should grip, which would be the classic position of the excution
    of this technique

Or as a counter to any attack, but only at the moment your opponents body makes contact with yours.

I went through this with Ray Stears in training, and the problem was that there was such a small amount of time between the attack being initiated and body contact being made that it was easy for a ref to call it wrong.

ie if you wait for body contact, your balance is likely broken and the throw has begun so the instinct is to grab the leg before this, and being disqualified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

ok, we had a Ref. at training the other night and showed us what is allowed and not allowed with the leg attack..

dont want to start a thread for this question but any way : Any one know what time and days do Terry Healy Train. and is he in Church field ? and is the Blarney Street judo still going on, or did Terry take that over and move it up to Church field..

Advertisement