Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping problems

Options
  • 15-01-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hope somebody can help.

Our 3 year old son keeps coming into our bed at night over the past month. When it happened in the past we had to put a gate on his room to keep him out.

Now he has his baby sister in the room with him. So if we dont let him in he goes nuts and starts screaming thus wakes her up.

How can we keep him in his room?
    We cant let him cry cause he will wake her up. She sleeps like a log

He slept fine for about 6 months with her in the room now he acts up.

I am losing serious sleep and its affecting work now too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How old is the baby sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Our daughter (3 in Feb) started sleeping the night for us at about 1. In the last couple of months she'll wake at night and come out of her room and wait in the landing, other times she'll come into our room. She closes her bedroom door after her as well, freaky behavior !! She will settle back if one of us joins her in the room. It's bloody frustrating alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Have you tried to find out why he won't stay in his own room? Perhaps he is scared of something?? Or perhaps there's something bothering him that makes him seek the comfort/security of your bed?

If there is no real reason, then I suggest putting your foot down. Keep telling him 'No', even if it means he screams and wakes up his sister. After a few days he's realise that he's not going to get what he wants and will give up. You do need to be completely consistent though and never ever give in to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Our girl is 1 and a half.

His speech isnt the best so its hard finding out what is bothering him.

Things getting worse now, he wont go to bed now either.
    His is at present screaming his head off cause were trying to put him to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Hope somebody can help.

Our 3 year old son keeps coming into our bed at night over the past month. When it happened in the past we had to put a gate on his room to keep him out.

Now he has his baby sister in the room with him. So if we dont let him in he goes nuts and starts screaming thus wakes her up.

How can we keep him in his room?
    We cant let him cry cause he will wake her up. She sleeps like a log

He slept fine for about 6 months with her in the room now he acts up.

I am losing serious sleep and its affecting work now too.
    You say that your son has only started waking up in the middle of night. Can you identify any change that might have occurred during this time? A few months ago my child started waking up at 3:30 almost every night. When we looked into things further, we had changed her diet, introduced some new foods and it turned out the child was waking up because they were having cramps due to a food allergy. The point I'm making is that you need to see if you can identify a possible cause for this change in your son's behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Possible night tremmors?

* could be his having nightmares.

Advertisement