Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tatoos in irish

Options
  • 15-01-2011 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

whats the opinions?

thinking of getting a memorial 1 on my chest saying never forget

ive never seen anyone with irish in their tatoos

where is good site for translation to irish (reliable)?

would tatoo look bad with a fada over it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I don't know if you know much Irish, but barely anything ever translates directly, so if you get a common English phrase, it could have a different context in Irish - 1 english word could be about 3 Irish words.

Don't forget is "Ná déan dearmad" which isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing.

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com is good. Most of the posters are native Irish speakers/scholars and they have a rule of 3 - if 3 of them agree on the same thing, it's usually right. If you're still doubtful/they're not agreeing on something, I'm sure someone in your local Conradh na Gaeilge etc would help you.

Fada's are there for a reason, you can't not put them in because without it the word isn't complete/correct. And in some cases, a word without a fada can mean something different! Fear = man. Féar = grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Same thing applied IMHO to anyone getting a tattoo in a language that they don't understand themselves:

Either don't get it done, or make damn sure it's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

cheers guys any1 have any pics of tats with fadas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

mkdon wrote: »
    cheers guys any1 have any pics of tats with fadas

2714651_f248.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

odds are you have a friend that's fluent or your friends will, ask on your fb if someone's fluent.

Everyone knows a teacher ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm fluent in Irish so drop me a pm or post here and I'll try translate it for you. get a second opinion though just to be sure :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    2714651_f248.jpg

:pac:
    It looks like they put a fada on the i by mistake, then had to do it on the second one to make it look like it was on purpose -and then had to make up something else for the actual fadas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

What's with the people asking about Irish translations for tattoos lately?!?
    Sudden fashion trend I take it?:confused:

Just as with any other language, if you were serious about connecting with the language and culture surely actually learning the language so you can do your own translation would be the better path?
    *sigh*
    Instead you made came here rather than make a tiny bit of effort to even google it, on the very first page of results there was a link to a thread in an Irish language forum giving a translation of that very phrase.
    facepalm.jpg

Seriously, which do you think will impress folks more, the tattoo or being able to even just hold a simple conversation in Irish? Learning a little Irish will probably also be easier on your wallet and there's a much lower risk of regretting it afterwards.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055055487
    Could a mod maybe sticky that thread to act as a cautionary tale to all the pseudo-Irish/Chinese/arabic/etc... speakers that pop by looking for a translation? I can see many folks being left with buyer's-remorse about their tattoos.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

my best friend got her first tattoo today

179246_10150129425735883_556375882_8681660_2462764_n.jpg

means live life and be happy, not bad for £20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

In English, we spell tattoos with a second "t".

Anyway, smarmy internet response aside, there is but one very good reason to have a tattoo in a language you cannot read: the word or phrase you want originated in that language. There is a good chance it will be longer and less meaningful when translated out of the original form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement