Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avram Grant Grant to get the boot today

• 15-01-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

SSN understands

MON lined up to replace him, major coup if they manage to get O'Neill imo
    West Ham United are ready to sack Avram Grant and replace him with Martin O'Neill this weekend, sources have told Sky Sports.

Grant's position has been under scrutiny for weeks following West Ham's poor start to the season.

However, he looked to have seen off the threat after guiding them to just one defeat in the last seven games.

But now sources have told Sky Sports News that Grant will be sacked after Saturday's match with Arsenal - no matter what the result is.

Skysports.com has also been told that the Hammers have already met with former Villa chief O'Neill - who looks ready to step back into management at Upton Park.

O'Neill left Aston Villa at the start of the season, but now looks set to accept the challenge of keeping West Ham in the Premier League.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

poor move for O'Neil imo he could get better and thats despite him leaving my club in the manner he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah I will be shocked if he is taking that job. Real step backwards imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That would be brilliant. A decent manager for west ham finally. The only way is up... hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Really poor display from the powers that be at West Ham. No need to go on about it this way. Discuss it in private at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Strange move for O'Neill. Could have seen him as the next Spurs/Man City manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I guess O'Neill is joining West Ham coz he reckons there's the ambition there. He'll have a couple of weeks to buy a few players and get them out of trouble. I've felt all along WH would stay up so if he does manage a recovery then it could be a decent job for him to take on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I know Grant has his critics, and his style of football isn't all that great to watch. But just once, it'd be nice to see the guy land at a club where he isn't treated like dogsh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I guess O'Neill is joining West Ham coz he reckons there's the ambition there. He'll have a couple of weeks to buy a few players and get them out of trouble. I've felt all along WH would stay up so if he does manage a recovery then it could be a decent job for him to take on

Not wanted at spurs doesn't seem to like foreign players for some reason.

geeky wrote: »
    I know Grant has his critics, and his style of football isn't all that great to watch. But just once, it'd be nice to see the guy land at a club where he isn't treated like dogsh1t.

This.

He's been very dignified throughout his managerial career. I personally thought he did a great job at Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sullivan and Gold showing their innate class again. Shabby stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Any manager that decides to work with Gold and Sullivan needs their head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

mike65 wrote: »

absolutly.....not a huge admirerer of Grant but anyone who would seek employment with the schisters in charge of West Ham at present is either hard up or need their heads examined. they make mike ashley look professional

absolutly.....not a huge admirerer of Grant but anyone who would seek employment with the schisters in charge of West Ham at present is either hard up or need their heads examined. they make mike ashley look professional

Whoa whoa whoa. ;)

mike65 wrote: »

Karen Brady is just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Don't understand this move by O'Neil at all, I reckon a big job, possibly the Liverpool one, is just waiting for him in the summer. I reckon he can get West Ham into the top 6 though given a bit of time and the dearth of real quality in the PL.

Having the deal with those owners though...I mean he had a run in with Randy Lerner and he seems amiable enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Just seen this stat on Twitter

Since leaving Chelsea, Avram Grant has managed to win just 19% (9) of his 47 Premier League matches as a manager.

Says it all really but I like the bloke and hope he can catch a break somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Grant has a good record over last 7 or 8 games, so for all the world it looks like he was finally turning it around. And then they go and do this :confused: Actually no, I'm not surprised at all - thats football these days

So good they named him twice

I do actually like the guy, but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

Since leaving Chelsea, Avram Grant has managed to win just 19% (9) of his 47 Premier League matches as a manager.

Says it all really but I like the bloke and hope he can catch a break somewhere

Bearing in mind though that the teams he managed subsequently - Portsmouth and West Ham - haven't exactly been stable clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

had a better away record than roy hodgson had at liverpool and still in the league cup unlike liverpool who got dumped out by northampton but there are many fans that don't believe roy should have got the boot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

West Ham as a job would suit O' Neill I think, less requirement to play good football than at a bigger club and he has a history of taking teams from a lowly position in the Prem to respectability. I have my doubts that he is capable of anything further at a bigger club like Spurs or Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He'll do well for West Ham if (a) he's given money and (b) Gollivan stays the hell out of his way/the media.

I really can't see the second caveat lasting all that long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I agree with what people are saying about Grant being a nice guy but the fact is he hasn't done well enough. At Chelsea he took over Mourinho's team and did a decent job at steadying the ship, but don't overestimate the job he did. He won nothing and basically continued to just use the same tactics as Jose. At Pompey he had a tough time obviously and did well to reach a cup final, but even without the points deduction he still would have got them relegated. West Ham was his chance to prove himself in English football imo. He has a decent enough group of players and they are bottom of the table. They have been playing better recently and I will give him his dues, he has them in a cup semi final, but its still not good enough for the squad he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

poor move for O'Neil imo he could get better and thats despite him leaving my club in the manner he did

honestly dont think he can do better. villa was the biggest job he'll ever get and he blew it, though he's the ideal man for the likes of west ham. he'll have them challenging for europe within a few years before hitting the glass ceiling again

i hope he gets it, purely coz he'll probably sign a load of his old players off us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neil3030 wrote: »
    He'll do well for West Ham if (a) he's given money and (b) Gollivan stays the hell out of his way/the media.

I really can't see the second caveat lasting all that long though.

Those two never send money at a decent level though. Can't believe he would work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

JPA wrote: »
    Those two never send money at a decent level though. Can't believe he would work for them.

they both like to interfere too, so would he accept that over his usual 100% control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Helix wrote: »
    they both like to interfere too, so would he accept that over his usual 100% control?

Who knows, could be just until the end of the season to keep them up, and then a reassessment by both parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

rossie1977 wrote: »
    had a better away record than roy hodgson had at liverpool and still in the league cup unlike liverpool who got dumped out by northampton but there are many fans that don't believe roy should have got the boot

Are you actually serious? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That_Guy wrote: »
    This.

He's been very dignified throughout his managerial career. I personally thought he did a great job at Chelsea.

My favourite part of what he did at Chelsea was 0-1 to Arsenal at home with 20 minutes left, he changed from 442 to 433 I think with subs and the crowd chant "You don't know what you're doing".

5 minutes later, Chelsea 2-1 up. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Barry Glendenning (writes for the Guardian):

"Re: Avram Grant hoo-ha. Is there a dignified way of being shafted by dildo magnates?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If this is true then this would be a major mistake by Martin O'Neill. As for Avram Grant I feel very sorry for him especially as he appeared to be turning things around in recent times. He seems like an honest and hard working manager and I respect the man for that.

gandalf wrote: »
    If this is true then this would be a major mistake by Martin O'Neill

why? no lose situation. he comes in and keeps them up and its another page to the mon myth, if he comes in and they go down, then itll be "oh those dastardly west ham owners, its all their fault"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Grant thing is madness!!

Over their last 17 games (including fixtures against Utd, City, Arsenal and away days to Newcastle, Sunderland and Liverpool) West Ham have managed:

7 Wins, 5 losses, 5 draws

Not European places form, but not the form of a team who are doomed to the drop either. It seems to me that he is gradually turning them in the right direction. What exactly is expected of this side by the owners given the strength and depth of their playing squad?

Obviously, there would be an argument for O'Neill being an upgrade, but the whole speculation over his job the past few weeks is baffling to me. They are getting better as the season progresses. Surely you don't dump a guy who seems to be turning it around? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

West Ham have been poor all season but have always had the players to do better. Perhaps Martin O'Neill might be the man to turn to around. Should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

West Ham was his chance to prove himself in English football imo. He has a decent enough group of players and they are bottom of the table. They have been playing better recently and I will give him his dues, he has them in a cup semi final, but its still not good enough for the squad he has.

you are not going to turn a team who finished 17th last season with 35 points, 20 league defeats and 8 wins into a decent outfit overnight in fairness
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Are you actually serious? :pac:

liverpool away record under hodgson

W:1, D:2, L:7, F:7, A:19 Pts: 5

west ham away record under grant

W:1, D:4, L:6, F:8 A:22 Pts: 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

rossie1977 wrote: »

liverpool away record under hodgson

W:1, D:2, L:7, F:7, A:19 Pts: 5

west ham away record under grant

W:1, D:4, L:6, F:8 A:22 Pts: 7

I don't give two fcuks. Hodgson has nothing to do with Grant's sacking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Helix wrote: »
    honestly dont think he can do better. villa was the biggest job he'll ever get and he blew it, though he's the ideal man for the likes of west ham. he'll have them challenging for europe within a few years before hitting the glass ceiling again

i hope he gets it, purely coz he'll probably sign a load of his old players off us

I just dont rate West Ham nor their owners but yes i do believe he is suitable for a team looking to soliditify themselves in the premier league and improve their league standing once they dont have ambitions/expectations of becoming bigger than any club MON has managed in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

1600: There's some chat on Twitter (courtesy of BBC Radio 5 live regular Ian McGarry that Martin O'Neill will not be the new manager of West Ham, but that it'll be Martin Jol instead. Plots are thickening left, right and centre. West Ham v Arsenal still to come at 1730 GMT, forget ye not.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Managers are getting raped up the ass this season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

MON will prob get booted before May and Woy will then take charge

the way things are going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That_Guy wrote: »
    Really poor display from the powers that be at West Ham. No need to go on about it this way. Discuss it in private at least.

One can hardly expect class from people who made their money in the sex industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Sky Sports News understands that the future of under-pressure West Ham manager Avram Grant will be decided this week.

It was widely expected that Grant would be dismissed following their 3-0 home defeat to Arsenal on Saturday night with Martin O'Neillin line to take up the reins.

However, Grant remained tight-lipped on his position after the full-time whistle and West Ham refused to clarify his position, despite reportedly making a decision at last week's board meeting.

A senior source at the club has now told Sky Sports News that Grant's position will be decided this week.

Grant replaced Gianfranco Zola over the summer, but the club remain at the wrong end of the table.

Their heavy defeat to title-chasing Arsenal on Saturday evening means the club are two points adrift of safety 23 games into the Premier League campaign.

O'Neill, formerly of Aston Villa, is reportedly waiting in the wings to try and save the East Londoners from the drop should Grant be axed just six months into his West Ham tenure.

sorted one way or another soon by the looks of it

Statement from the West Ham official website.

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20110118/west-ham-united-statement_2236884_2269527
    West Ham United categorically deny the allegations made in today's Daily Mirror with regard to Karren Brady, the club's Vice-Chairman.
    Karren has worked tirelessly to improve all aspects of the club's operation and is extremely disappointed by the nature of these unfounded allegations. West Ham fully intend to identify the source of these unhelpful and untrue comments and remove them from the club.

West Ham have placed the matter immediately in the hands of their lawyers.
    The club are committed to retaining Avram Grant as manager and have identified potential transfer targets to give us the best possible chance of retaining Premier League status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Interesting development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Good news, he should be given the season, they have a good shot at staying up i feel

Ya allegedly Brady she sent texts to the players asking if they where happy with grant or if he needed to be replaced.

Brady is a right piece of work imo and I wouldn't put something like that past her but it's all alleged at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Brady is a right piece of work imo and I wouldn't put something like that past her but it's all alleged at the moment.

Karren_Brady_23351t.jpg

I would! Maybe because it's late though :D

Advertisement