Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars with loads of driver leg room

• 15-01-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Anyone know of a car (around €20000 approx ) that has lots of driver side leg room. I'd like it to be smallish engine (around 1.5) and very economical. Don't really care about looks or performance. I'm 6' 6" tall so once I can fit into the car and I'm able to drive comfortably I'm happy. Currently drive a Mazda 6 which is brilliant for leg room but it likes it's petrol too much. I need something alot more economical.

Thanks a million
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

brianeoc wrote: »
    Anyone know of a car (around €20000 approx ) that has lots of driver side leg room. I'd like it to be smallish engine (around 1.5) and very economical. Don't really care about looks or performance. I'm 6' 6" tall so once I can fit into the car and I'm able to drive comfortably I'm happy. Currently drive a Mazda 6 which is brilliant for leg room but it likes it's petrol too much. I need something alot more economical.

Thanks a million
    Brian

Stealthyspeeder on here used to have a Mazda 3 - think he's 6' 7". His was the MPS version, but the seats in a 1.6Tdi version would be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

What about a diesel version of the mazda?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

My dad has a Mazda 3 and it's a bit cramped compared to the Mazda 6. I'm Looking to get away from Mazda as I've had a few weird problems with my car and don't trust the brand anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

New Mondeo 1.6. Loads of driver leg space, im not far off 6 foot I'd say and I can't touch the pedals when the seat is fully expended backwards, also the height adjustment goes really low or high, which is good in your case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plug wrote: »
    New Mondeo 1.6. Loads of driver leg space, im not far off 6 foot I'd say and I can't touch the pedals when the seat is fully expended backwards, also the height adjustment goes really low or high, which is good in your case.

1.6 in the Mondeo is not that economical though, infact it is quite thirsty due to the shear size of the car.

OP, take a spin in the new shape Skoda Superb, the interior is huge:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201102200885959

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

the kia pro'ceed has quite large leg room 1.6 tdi too

bazz26 wrote: »
    1.6 in the Mondeo is not that economical though, infact it is quite thirsty due to the shear size of the car.

OP, take a spin in the new shape Skoda Superb, the interior is huge:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201102200885959
    Oh didn't know that. The idea of the 1.6 VVT in them was for fuel economy, that didn't work then:pac: OP could maybe try the 1.8 diesel.

the kia pro'ceed has quite large leg room 1.6 tdi too

Pro'ceed has a coupe type stance to it though so at 6'6" headroom could be a problem.

Oh didn't know that. The idea of the 1.6 VVT in them was for fuel economy, that didn't work then:pac: OP could maybe try the 1.8 diesel.

It was more to do with the pre 2008 cc based tax system we had here. The smaller the engine the more chance it sold here. That engine was dropped in late 2008 however as it was actually dearer to tax under the new system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Got a lift for the first time in a Skoda Superb last night, has to go down as one of the biggest cars i've ever been in, the thing is huge, would easily suit anyone over 6ft even 8ft. It was also comfy and you'd have no idea your in a skoda, just one huge vw passat.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    It was more to do with the pre 2008 cc based tax system we had here. The smaller the engine the more chance it sold here. That engine was dropped in late 2008 however as it was actually dearer to tax under the new system.
    So its not available in the Mondeo any more, also the 1.8 Diesel is gone...
    A bit off topic but did anyone notice the 1.6TCDI in the brand new focus/C-max is downgraded to a single camshaft?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm 6' 6'' myself and went through the mill to find a car with the most leg room for myself and the rear passengers, I picked the SEAT Altea. They are a little bit above your budget new but you won't have an issue finding good used one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mrbig73

Another Skoda Superb solution! Yay!!!! :D

I am thinking of putting up that I need a €200k sportscar, and see what Skoda gets suggested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Passat 1.4 TSI. Lots of legroom front and rear!.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1802581

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

mrbig73 wrote: »
    Another Skoda Superb solution! Yay!!!! :D

I am thinking of putting up that I need a €200k sportscar, and see what Skoda gets suggested!

Well Lamborghini are owned by VAG these days, I'm sure the V12 from an LP640 would fit in the boot of an Octavia.

:)

So its not available in the Mondeo any more, also the 1.8 Diesel is gone...
    A bit off topic but did anyone notice the 1.6TCDI in the brand new focus/C-max is downgraded to a single camshaft?:eek:

The only petrol engines Ford offer here now are in the Fiesta. All petrol engines were dropped from the Focus and Mondeo range last year. For example the 1.4 litre petrol Focus motor tax went from €333 to over €500 under the C02 system. As you can imagine there was practically zero demand buying this car new from July onwards. Dealers had to register and tax any stock they had by 30 June 2008 to have any hope of selling them. Same faith suffered by the old model Toyota Avensis 1.6 VVTi at the time, went from €445 up to over €600 meaning nobody wanted them after thant

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Test drove a qashqai today and it felt like driving a van compared my mazda 6. Lots of leg room though so it could be a winner and the 1.5d model sounds very economical on juice. Anyone have any real life reviews of this car? Is there any known issues with them apart from the fact that their as common as muck!

I've yet to look / test drive the skoda superb / seat altera / kia pro'ceed. Of all of them the skoda superb looks the best but it's slightly more thirsty than the Qashqai which marks it down. I think more test drives are in order.

Thanks for the replies and look forward to some more
    B

Advertisement