Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to reduce average sleeping time?

Options
  • 15-01-2011 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

I typically sleep between 8 1/2 to 9 hours a night and I want to eventually reduce this to between 7 and 7 1/2 (ie. reduce my sleeping time by 1 1/2 hours). The reasons for this are that
    - I like the idea of having an extra hour and a half per day to do stuff
    - I want to make it easier for myself to get up earlier in the morning by not needing quite as much sleep
    - I want to get used to the idea of not needing so much sleep because it'll be hard to find the time of day to do so when I'm working full-time
    - I've read numerous times that 7 hours is the sleeping time most associated with good health, so it seems to desirable to only sleep that much

So, even if the reasons above aren't that good, what's the best way to go about this? What I'm doing is shaving ten minutes off my sleeping time every week or so, is that too fast? By the way, if I found myself in bed at 12.00 midnight setting my alarm for the morning, and I wanted to ensure I'd get 7 1/2 hours of sleep, I'd set the alarm to 7.45, to give myself 15 minutes of time to fall asleep.
    Or should I just cut down to 7 1/2 in one go and force myself to stick to it?
    Or is it more complicated than that and you need to take into account circadian rhythms and stuff?

Advertisement