Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour and light fetac level 5

• 15-01-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

hello,
    looking for information on this course? has anyone done it? whats it like? where can you do it? Have read the module descriptor and cant get my head around it:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Are you interested as a Tutor or a student ? The module is usually only delivered as part of a full award. It isn't one that is in demand as a stand alone module.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have just had a look at the colour and light module, and in fact it isn't as obscure as some! Which isn't saying a lot. As Further Ed says, it depends on whether you are a teacher or a student. If you are a teacher and you have any sort of an art background it should be possible to work it out with study. I think the best way is to start with the marking sheets and see what will be marked, then work backwards into the requirements, making assignments fit the marking.

It is usually better on these kind of modules to decide what angle you are working from, for example you could approach it as part of interior decor - how lighting affects colour and mood. If it is part of an art course you would probably relate it to use of colour and light in painting.

If you are a student it would be helpful to tell us why you are asking so that we can offer suggestions. You are not likely to find it as a stand-alone module.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭moonsun12

I am asking as a tutor and it would be part of an interior design course that we are considering running next year. I would like to be ahead of the game as I have an art background and not an interiors background. Thank you very much for the advice and taking the time to read the module descriptor :)

Right, then you will using the new migrated FETAC units as all Level 5 Major and Minor Awards will be converted by June 2011 and the existing awards withdrawn. Centres currently offering the existing awards will have a timeframe where they can phrase out the old and bring in the new.

These migrated units have not yet been released but if you refer to your centre's validation and programme approval agreement then you will be familiar with the submission of the programme material etc and intergration of assessments. If your centres doesn't have that in place yet then it will have to put it in place before FETAC release permission to offer the new units.

I hear FETAC expect to release a block of awards in Feb/March 2011 and then centres will be able to apply for programme approval/validation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Further Ed, my understanding is that there will not be a whole lot of difference in the new versions. Many of the modules are in urgent need of updating, but I wonder will it be done or is it a cosmetic exercise?

• Advertisement

Technically it was a case of migrating the old awards across with no changes but from my knowledge and experience of the process as soon as the existing modules were placed on the table a lot of changes were made, with LDMs and existing modules combined, deleted and amended.

People took the opportunity to make changes, figuring that the opportunity won't be presented again for a good while. As you said many of the existing modules required serious updating. The process included industry people and some statutory bodies and they brought their views to the table and the result in some cases was wholesale change and in some minor updating. The whole process also included FAS and other training award bodies and their awards had to be merged into the existing FETAC awards and in some cases there was a lot of difference before any migration and that had to be taken into consideration.

But I am not aware of what happened with the Art/Design awards. We will find out how much changes have been made to some awards in Feb/March when the first batch of awards are released. The question will be when will centres move over to the new Common Award System and will the Dept of Ed and Skills require centres wishing to offer new awards to select only from the CAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭moonsun12

Thank you very much for your clear and comprehensive feedback

Advertisement