Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Orchestras

Options
  • 15-01-2011 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello,

I'm a viola player from Australia and I'll be moving over to Dublin for a few years in July. I'm interested in joining an orchestra but I'm not sure of the standards of each and how they work as far as new membership goes. I have attained my AMUS in Australia (equivalent of RECITAL / PERFORMER'S CERTIFICATE in UK, not sure about Ireland) so am somewhere between that and Licentiate standard. Could anyone please advise of good community orchestra that I might be able to audition for?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Any body know anything about Dublin orchestras?

RTE Symphony Orchestra?
    Youth Orchestra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

http://cmc.ie/addresses/orchestras.html

Orchestras
    Irish Chamber Orchestra
    North Campus
    University of Limerick
    Limerick
    Ireland
    Tel: +353-61-202620
    Fax: +353-61-202617
    Email: ico@ul.ie
    Web: www.irishchamberorchestra.com
    Chief Executive: John Kelly
    Artistic Director: Anthony Marwood

RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra
    RTÉ
    Administration Building
    Donnybrook
    Dublin 4
    Ireland
    Tel: +353-1-208 2530
    Fax: +353-1-208 2160
    Web: www.rte.ie/performinggroups/
    nationalsymphonyorchestra/
    General Manager: Brian O’Rourke
    Principal Conductor: Gerhard Markson

RTÉ Concert Orchestra
    RTÉ
    Administration Building
    Donnybrook
    Dublin 4
    Ireland
    Tel: +353-1-208 2670
    Fax: +353-1-208 2511
    Web: www.rte.ie/performinggroups/
    rteconcertorchestra/
    General Manager: Anthony Long
    Principal Conductor: David Brophy
    Conductor Laureate: Prionnsias O'Duinn

Ulster Orchestra
    Elmwood Hall
    89 University Road
    Belfast BT7 1NF
    Northern Ireland
    Tel: +44-28-9066 4535
    Fax: +44-28-9066 2761
    Email: info@u-o.org.uk
    Web: www.ulster-orchestra.org.uk
    Chief Executive: David Byers

Also countless other smaller semi-professional/amateur orchestras around the county also, these are just the most well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

sarah___ wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm a viola player from Australia and I'll be moving over to Dublin for a few years in July. I'm interested in joining an orchestra but I'm not sure of the standards of each and how they work as far as new membership goes. I have attained my AMUS in Australia (equivalent of RECITAL / PERFORMER'S CERTIFICATE in UK, not sure about Ireland) so am somewhere between that and Licentiate standard. Could anyone please advise of good community orchestra that I might be able to audition for?

I don't have contact details but I would try and contact either the Hibernian Chamber Orchestra or the Dublin Orchestral Players. The RTE orchestras are full time professional orchestras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sarah___

Thank you so much for your help. I think you're right, I don't think I'm anywhere near the standard that the RTE orchestras require but I'll definitely look into the Hibernian and Dublin Orchestral Players.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Thank you so much for your help. I think you're right, I don't think I'm anywhere near the standard that the RTE orchestras require but I'll definitely look into the Hibernian and Dublin Orchestral Players.

Hey Sarah, get onto facebook and have a search for Hibernian-Orchestra Dublin. I've played with them a few times and they're far and away the best amateur orchestra around in Dublin. John Finucane is a great conductor and is currently the NSO's principal clarinettist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sarah___

Thanks Pete, that's perfect, I've heard good things about The Hibernian Orchestra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Thanks Pete, that's perfect, I've heard good things about The Hibernian Orchestra :)

Glad to help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dapotter

say sara

check out county kildare orchestra...great craic.see ya there. k

http://www.countykildareorchestra.com/ :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MusicDots

Hi Sarah, just wondering how you got on? I play the violin as well and am looking to join an orchestra in Dublin. I've had a look at the Hibernian Orchestra website, and also at the Dublin Symphony Orchestra and the Dublin Orchestral Players. I am wondering which one to join...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭TheFiveLamps

Hey guys,completely off topic!

but unsure how were else to post!

any help appreciated!

were would i go about looking for folks who play violin ,cello, etc that would be willing to join a band? as in an alternative rock/pop type band?

any help would be appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Hmm not sure, I suppose this is as good a place as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Hey guys,completely off topic!

but unsure how were else to post!

any help appreciated!

were would i go about looking for folks who play violin ,cello, etc that would be willing to join a band? as in an alternative rock/pop type band?

any help would be appreciated!

Depending on where you live, you could put up a notice in music departments of colleges/schools (though you may have to wait until September for any decent amount of responses), or loads of music shops are usually good about putting up notices like that?
    Other than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laurakidd

I'm running a Charity event in Dublin city centre. Do you know anyone that would be willing to play violin, guitar etc for an hour or so voluntarily. The funds go to the East Africa appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

It depends on what sort of playing you want to do. Playing viola you should have no problem getting into most orchestra. If you're looking to do big symphonies and the like then Hibernian Orchestra is great for that.

If you're into smaller ensembles then The Dublin Baraque Players are a very high standard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michelle.mgtob

Hey Guys, Hoping you'll all still have a clue.

I have slightly less experience, I have a grade 7 with previous experience as second clarinet in Youth Orchestra for 4 years and several bands. I'm looking to join something non-pro as I'm working full time.

It can be pretty difficult to assess what level the orchestras look for in their members at a glance! Does anyone have experience of the Hibernian?

Thanks so much, would really appreciate any input :)

Advertisement