Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will an Irish xBox 360 work in the US?

Options
  • 15-01-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

I have a new Irish xbox 360, and have just found out i am relocating to the US next month. Rather than sell it for a substantial loss (many games, wireless, 4 controllers etc... all 1 month old), i am wondering what issues there will be in bringing it to the US?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Daraflats wrote: »
    I have a new Irish xbox 360, and have just found out i am relocating to the US next month. Rather than sell it for a substantial loss (many games, wireless, 4 controllers etc... all 1 month old), i am wondering what issues there will be in bringing it to the US?

Thanks
    Once you get the correct power plug for it all you'll need to worry about is your Gamertag. When you move over there's a high chance you won't be able to access a lot of content because it will be region locked. If you're not bothered with achievements and what not, then just create a new US Gold account and use that. This way you'll have acceess to everything over there, including all the cool US-only stuff like Netflix, ESPN and the forthcoming Hulu support. The alternative is to keep your existing GT and create a US silver account for access to downloadable content only but not the above gold-only services.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Daraflats

gizmo wrote: »
    Once you get the correct power plug for it all you'll need to worry about is your Gamertag. When you move over there's a high chance you won't be able to access a lot of content because it will be region locked. If you're not bothered with achievements and what not, then just create a new US Gold account and use that. This way you'll have acceess to everything over there, including all the cool US-only stuff like Netflix, ESPN and the forthcoming Hulu support. The alternative is to keep your existing GT and create a US silver account for access to downloadable content only but not the above gold-only services.

Thanks for the info Gizmo! What about games, will american games work on my machine? Will the xbox work with an American TV? i.e. Pal etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Daraflats wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Gizmo! What about games, will american games work on my machine? Will the xbox work with an American TV? i.e. Pal etc.
    NTSC region games wont work, only PAL or region free.

Heres a DB of games and their regions:

http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

i brought my xbox 360 to brazil when i moved here. you will need to buy a power brick. if you look at yours its 200v only so first find out what the watts it outputs are (not all xboxs have the same power requirements) you can find a power brick on ebay.com and make sure its the same watts.
    as for tv usa is ntsc but most modern lcd or plasmas will accept both pal and ntsc so just dont get a crt tv (the old ones with the big back)
    us games wont work you will need to get them in ireland or uk and have them mailed to you. this is what i do, just got black ops from home the other day sweet

Cheers!!

• Advertisement

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    i brought my xbox 360 to brazil when i moved here. you will need to buy a power brick. if you look at yours its 200v only so first find out what the watts it outputs are (not all xboxs have the same power requirements) you can find a power brick on ebay.com and make sure its the same watts.
    as for tv usa is ntsc but most modern lcd or plasmas will accept both pal and ntsc so just dont get a crt tv (the old ones with the big back)
    us games wont work you will need to get them in ireland or uk and have them mailed to you. this is what i do, just got black ops from home the other day sweet

Ha ha, cheers! Looks like games will be the only issue! I guess i will have to see how much room are left in my bags after i pack!

Advertisement