Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle route to Naas

• 15-01-2011 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey all,

Does anyone know a safe cycle route to Naas. For obvious reasons I cannot cycle on the moterway.

DOC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

doc1976 wrote: »
    Does anyone know a safe cycle route to Naas. For obvious reasons I cannot cycle on the moterway.

The N7 from Dublin is a dual carriageway as far as Naas so you are allowed cycle on it - but I cannot imagine many would choose to do so.

I have not done that route before but I would look at the following options.

You have a few different options, you could go out the canal path all the way to Sallins, but it is rough after Adamstown.

You could go to Adamstown on the canal then on roads from there to Newcastle, Athgoe, Kill, Johnstown and into Naas.

Or you could go out to Saggart then Rathcoole and parallel to the N7 from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

carthoris wrote: »
    You could go to Adamstown on the canal then on roads from there to Newcastle, Athgoe, Kill, Johnstown and into Naas.

Or you could go out to Saggart then Rathcoole and parallel to the N7 from there.

I do both of these regularly enough.
    One sharp short hill on both (say under 1km but around 8-10%).
    Anyhow the Rathcoole version parallel to N7 (Steelstown Johnston and Kill) is really really quiet. Rarely sees any cars. On that basis I think its as safe as one could wish for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

I havent cycled this but I think the route along the canal to adamstown and then newcastle,kill,johnstown would be better. I have been looking for a good route myself over the last few days. The rathcoole route is ok but I think getting from rathcoole to town is still a headache with the nasty back road behind saggart and the dangerous road into Tallaght near the Jobstown Inn. Canal route drops you right in Inchicore. I suppose it comes down to what part of Dublin you are heading for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

connie_c wrote: »
    The rathcoole route is ok but I think getting from rathcoole to town is still a headache with the nasty back road behind saggart and the dangerous road into Tallaght near the Jobstown Inn. Canal route drops you right in Inchicore. I suppose it comes down to what part of Dublin you are heading for.

??
    Rathcoole to Saggart to Embankment is as straightforward a route as one could expect. Whilst Saggart can see some car traffic, I would not describe it as nasty or dangerous in anyway. Granted there is a roundabout at the bottom of Rathcoole hill on the way into saggart, but it is not that busy.

If one was heading to the Northside, I would go from Rathcoole to Newcastle to Adamstown. Narrow road but mostly quiet. Road widens out at Adamstown and is very well light at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

It would have been handy if I said from Rathmines area!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭madrichie

I take this route cycle from Naas to Citywest about 3 days a week. You have 5km's of unlit lane, then you are on wide well lit roads.
    http://goo.gl/maps/cPIX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

You could take an easy route by going straight out the N81 to Blessington turning off just before the village (at maxol). That ring road will bring you onto the Naas road where you can just go straight to Naas. Not the most direct of routes however its probably the safest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭madrichie

Sorry - that route went slightly wonky at Castlewarden - here you go - http://goo.gl/maps/QkIP

Advertisement