Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intel you legends!

• 15-01-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭

Great news for the country:
    Intel has announced it is to begin a $500m upgrade of its facilities at its Leixlip campus with the creation of 850 construction jobs.
    The company will also be creating an additional 200 jobs at the campus as a result of the upgrade.
    On Thursday, Intel posted record revenues for 2010 of over $43bn.
    IDA Ireland CEO Barry O'Leary welcomed the announcement, saying it was 'an enormous vote of confidence and endorsement of Ireland as a competitive location for global investment'.
    The project is expected to take two years to complete.

Fair play to Intel.

Source.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Was hoping it would say free i7's for all. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

That's fantastic news. If anything this is a clear message that we need to stick to our guns on the corporation tax though I don't fully understand that area myself but I wouldn't want to be in Intels shoes if we were made raise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Good news finally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Any chance of a job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

mp3guy wrote: »

I was thinking about that thread when I heard this announcement too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

that project has been talked about for about 4 years now. Thank god it has finally come off.

good news, for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Great news. Hopefully we'll see more of this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

And Sarkozy wants us to up the corporation tax :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just read that on the news.

Does this mean they've chosen Ireland to manufacture the new 22nm Ivy Brigde CPUs due next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Agricola wrote: »
    And Sarkozy wants us to up the corporation tax :rolleyes:

Ya, I see the EU Nazi's are still whining about it alright. It should have been dropped to 9% in the last budget. At least it would have demonstrated a semblance of a spine for this 'government'. Well done Intel, a much needed shot in the arm for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Good news for a change and fair play to Intel,but still only a drop in the ocean when you consider how many people are currently signing on though.

We still will probably have to raise CT within the next year or so,we have to do something to appease the countries that are currently funding us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

We still will probably have to raise CT within the next year or so,we have to do something to appease the countries that are currently funding us.

We wont have to raise CT, we're already appeasing those that are funding us by a near 3% margin in the bailout.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good stuff right there. MMM delicious brains jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i find this highly highly unlikely

any goverment who does this instantly signs their own death sentence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

i wonder if this would have gone ahead if the corporation tax had been increased.. uh no! can't see the low ct lasting forever, will be funny to see the mass exodus of companies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

there is a lot more to this corporation tax than just the fee, don't get me wrong it is a good highlight but the real level of corp tax in many european countries is nowhere near the 25% they publicise.

A re-think into corp tax here is necessary, everybody has to do their bit so there is no reason why corporation tax should not go up if all other taxes are going up.

It is foolish to think an increase from 12.5% to 17.5% would actually result in all companies not choosing here as a destination for development.

It is foolish to think an increase from 12.5% to 17.5% would actually result in all companies not choosing here as a destination for development.

Although its not a huge increase what is keeping us in the running besides corporation tax as a whole in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

there is a lot more to this corporation tax than just the fee, don't get me wrong it is a good highlight but the real level of corp tax in many european countries is nowhere near the 25% they publicise.

A re-think into corp tax here is necessary, everybody has to do their bit so there is no reason why corporation tax should not go up if all other taxes are going up.

<facepalm>

Seriously.....

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i find this highly highly unlikely

any goverment who does this instantly signs their own death sentence

And a very good point was made by someone on boards in the past week that we got a loan for the money and we are/will be paying that back. Its not a hand out that we are taking off the EU etc.

Technically it they should not influence anything we do tax and spending wise. In reality it does since we need to be able to pay it back but from what I understand raising the corporation tax wont make a big difference compared to what else is going on and I can see merit in the argument that if you raise it you may end up with the same or less then you would have had down the line.

Its just France and the rest desperately trying to become more competitive by making others less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This almost claws back the number of jobs lost to this green party decision last year :

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/kfcwgbmhojoj/rss2/
    Gormley overturned land designation without consultation, court told

By Vivion Kilfeather

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

ENVIRONMENT Minister John Gormley failed to engage in any adequate consultation with local landowners before issuing directions overturning the designation of lands in Carrickmines as a "district centre", the Commercial Court has been told.

A district centre allows for a development with considerably more retail floorspace than a "neighbourhood centre," the designation preferred by the minister. A neighbourhood centre involves a development of small groups of small shops of a local nature serving a small, localised population.

Tristor Ltd, which wants to develop the Park Village as a district centre, has claimed the minister’s directions, unless quashed, will cost 1,500 jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'm surprised that this has only been "announced" now. Most of the people I work with (construction) have known about this for months. It is good news though, in this industry thats a lifetime now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Huge difference.

there are plenty of reasons

it is more then foolish to think otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Why not raise it to 14% at least. The tax money would be huge and it wouldn't be enough of a rise for companies to up and leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Low corporation tax is pretty much all we have to offer. High rents, local rates & employment costs mean we can't compete except for our corporation tax rate.

Why not raise it to 14% at least. The tax money would be huge and it wouldn't be enough of a rise for companies to up and leave.

'tax money would be huge'

and

'it wouldnt be enough of a raise for companies to up and leave'

that dosnt make sense

companies are obliged to do the best for their share holders, no matter how small the increase if it makes moving to another country cheaper then staying in ireland they will do it without hesitating

we have nothing else to offer besides low ct rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

So what will this new fab be making??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The way I see it is even a 1% increase can translate into hundreds of thousands, if not millions for a lot of companies when projected over the next few years. 1% increase will see many companies ALREADY thinking of leaving making their decision and starting to prepare to move out. It would also affect the chances of attracting new investment from exsisting companies and it would affect the ability to attract new companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

TheZohan wrote: »
    Great news for the country:

Fair play to Intel.

Source.

Intel don't give a shít about you I would imagine, they do care about profit. I'm sure they didn't think "Oh ireland needs jobs, lets expand there" when thinking this...

Intel don't give a shít about you I would imagine, they do care about profit. I'm sure they didn't think "Oh ireland needs jobs, lets expand there" when thinking this...

plenty of companies do have moral / social consciences. they dont overwrite the profit motive but they can certainly play a part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

'tax money would be huge'

and

'it wouldnt be enough of a raise for companies to up and leave'

that dosnt make sense

companies are obliged to do the best for their share holders, no matter how small the increase if it makes moving to another country cheaper then staying in ireland they will do it without hesitating

we have nothing else to offer besides low ct rate
    It would be huge from all companies combined!
    Why would they leave? It's still unbelievably low.

It would be huge from all companies combined!
    Why would they leave? It's still unbelievably low.

because it would be cheaper to do business elsewhere, it is that simple.

no matter which way you cut it doing what you suggest is taking out 4% more of the companies profits, it dosnt matter how big or small the company is its still 4%

we have **** infrastructure, high tax rates other than corporation tax, high cost of living, high wages, poor education system and political instability, corporation tax is all we have going for us for large investors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Are they building a new fab?

I wonder will they be ramping up manufacture.
    Im involved in the industry so this might mean more frequent trips home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Too bad I use a AMD CPU in my computer :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Great Success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Elessar wrote: »
    So what will this new fab be making??
    Methamphetamine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Intel, a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭omerin

I always knew Cowan and Co. would get us out of trouble, a sign of things to come, the corner has indeed been turned *

Support Irish companies and companies investing in Ireland. I always buy Intel chips :D

* may not be factually true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

plenty of companies do have moral / social consciences. they dont overwrite the profit motive but they can certainly play a part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

It would send out the wrong signal. Even a 1% rise would frighten the multinational horses. Perception is everything in the global economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Elessar wrote: »
    Just read that on the news.

Does this mean they've chosen Ireland to manufacture the new 22nm Ivy Brigde CPUs due next year?

No, they won't even be up and running by then. The place would be upgraded and running for quite a while before it ramped into full scale production of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Was hoping it would say free i7's for all. :(

Sandy Bridge is where its at :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ireland is still a very competitive country and we have a massive pool of talent and brilliant people here. However we have a an absolute moron and bunch of crooks in charge (ie. the Fianna Fail traitors).

Ireland will recover and the first step is to elect Fine Gael to office whom will manage to stabilise the country (Don't expect miracles) however they will lay the ground work for the economy to recover and it is little victories like this that will get Ireland back on track to somewhere near the late nineties economic stability and correction.

One thing we must never forget is how Fianna Fail have destroyed Ireland and never ever again allow them to become a force in Irish politics. We need Labour on one side and Fine Gael on the other along the left/right divide and keep the Fianna Fail criminals out of politics for good. I would even suggest banning the party for treason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well then you don't know Mr Intel to well then, him and his family are lovely people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hopefully this means one of my best mates can come home and not have to work anymore in Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Any news is good news or in this news great news :D, I think we all deserve a seission :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

nice one, intel could of winded down and moved to eastren europe in the morning, with no more than ireland caring (compred to larger populations and profits for the company in thre east) good they decided to stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Intel for Teeshok, computers for all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Intel are in the business of making the dollar, it just so happens that they do this by making chips.

Also , i would imagine the billions of dollars already invested in Ireland coupled with Ireland being one of their most successful locations helped their decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement