Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing Consoles on Tvs

• 15-01-2011 2:06pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a couple of questions re the best way to display old consoles on tvs. is there other cables you can get that display them better? I currently have two old crts i use to play them on.

Nes is connected into the "pipe"
    Megadrive is connected into the "pipe"
    GameCube is connected via rgb scart
    N64 is connected with scart i think.

Any better ways to connect these up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Get some scart cables for the megadrive anyway! The pipe you're referring to would be rf and gives a really bad picture quality. Some new cables shouldn't cost you more than a tenner each ok eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

RF/pipe is really really awful. Don't use any of them on any console ever.

Nes - AV cables (doesn't support rgb scart)
    Megadrive - rgb scart
    GameCube -you've already got that one sorted :)
    N64 - Like the nes, doesn't support rgb scart. So get some AV cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I found the following thread very helpful;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055982663&highlight=cables

Its amazing how much difference using the best cables can make, its not something I even considered before starting to follow this forum, and I feel like I've come out of the dark ages into a time of wonderful RGB goodness! Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

What would you guys recommend for a PS1 video cable? From the other thread, RGB seems the way to go?
    Also, are cheap ebay cables any good or is it better to get an official PS1/PS2 cable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RGB for PS1 as well. If the console supports RGB then use RGB. I'm pretty sure that there should be some cables going cheap online and also the PS2 and PS3 RGB cables work with the PS1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Looks like i have a few cables to buy so!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll take a guess that the Gamecube isn't connected by RGB but by something like this which isn't RGB:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/images/features/articlescartadaptor.jpg

GEt yourself an RGB scart cable for the GC because it looks stunning in RGB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

yeh its the 3 cables going into a scart connection like that.

keithgeo wrote: »
    yeh its the 3 cables going into a scart connection like that.

Sort that out and get an RGB cable :)

Sorry to drag this up again guys, I should have mentioned I've a PSone which seems to be a pain to get compatable AV cables for. As I'm a tad hopeless at the AV side of things, can someone link me to a good AV cable for PSone (not original Playstation, as I think that AV connection is different?) on either Amazon or eBay?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

From auction links it seems the PSone and Playstation AV connection are the same? I've never tried to connect my PSone up to the tv though as I play it through the LCD attached to it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PS-RGB-Scart-AV-Cable-PSONE-PS1-/110595724930?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item19c004d682

Might want to hold off on buying that until someone can confirm.

If they are the same as the bog standard PS1 cables then PS2 and PS3 cables will work as well. Also for the love of god don't get AV, get RGB scart!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If they are the same as the bog standard PS1 cables then PS2 and PS3 cables will work as well. Also for the love of god don't get AV, get RGB scart!

That's the thing, I'm not sure if the PSone video port is the same as the PS1 port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

It is. The PS1, PSOne, and PS2 ports can use the same cables.

Awesome, cheers for that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

I'm looking to get an RGB scart cable for the PS1 at the moment. Is this one pretty much the same as the one linked to above? I thought I'd ask first so I don't end up getting a worse one.

What cables should you be using for the XBox? I have the red, white, and yellow (component or composite?) cables for it. They came with the console.

Get RGB scart for everything!

That PS2 cable might be a bit dodgy, might be best to get an official one.

Master of the Universe

Just bought an RGB cable for my XBox 1. Realized I've been playing Steel Batalion through AV! No wonder it looked so fuzzy.

If anyone is looking for one, this guy is selling them for pretty damn cheap -

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190460338848

Cheers Oisin, just ordered one for the Xbox. Hoping my Dreamcast RGB arrives tomorrow, picked up a Dreamcast in the Rage recently and I feel I'd be doing it an injustice by playing it with the rf cable that came with it.

Master of the Universe

Excellent, all you need now is a Steel Batalion kit and you're sorted ;)

The Dreamcast does indeed look lovely in RGB. I can't believe Sega distributed the console with only an rf cable. Surely companies want their console/games to look as good as possible? I never understood that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Hoping my Dreamcast RGB arrives tomorrow, picked up a Dreamcast in the Rage recently and I feel I'd be doing it an injustice by playing it with the rf cable that came with it.
    You'll still be doing it an injustice, until you get a VGA cable for it and use it with a PC monitor or a LCD/Plasma TV with VGA-in (preferably LED, for colour/contrast vibrancy) ;)

Master of the Universe

I think the differece is something like this.

RF-> RGB is like upgrading from poxy half tuned in static RTE via a coathanger in the back of your tv to colour digital.

RGB-> VGA is like upgrading from digital to HD.

HD is really nice, but the difference in picture quality is nowhere near the leap from tuned in arial to digital.

Dreamcast RGB still does look beautiful. I've hung onto an RGB cable for when I want to play HOTD on my CRT. VGA for everything else. But if you can't get a VGA box then RGB should do you fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ambro25 wrote: »
    (preferably LED, for colour/contrast vibrancy) ;)

If it's colour/contrast vibrancy you want, you need an SUV of the living room...(Plasma), bloody enviromentalists :rolleyes: But I'd argue it's serious overkill for a Dreamcast. A 21" 4:3 (16:9 if the DC supports it) CRT (LCD if 16:9) computer monitor would be Dreamcast heaven :cool:

EnterNow wrote: »
    If it's colour/contrast vibrancy you want, you need an SUV of the living room
    Eh? :confused:
    ...(Plasma), bloody enviromentalists :rolleyes:
    :D

I'm much less pro-plasma these days, having progressed from a (admittedly 3 year old) Panasonic plasma panel to an LG LE8500 series (full LED with local dimming) this last December.

Now, from that experience, Kuro (of course) and high-end plasma panels may still have the edge (...just), but the traditional LCD-vs-Plasma debate (as regards colour/contrast, esp. blacks) is definitely nowhere near as clear-cut as it used to be.
    But I'd argue it's serious overkill for a Dreamcast. A 21" 4:3 (16:9 if the DC supports it) CRT (LCD if 16:9) computer monitor would be Dreamcast heaven :cool:
    More or less agreed. I've used a 4:3 17" TFT for years, and am now using a 16:9 22" LED (BenQ eco series). I run both a 360 in HDMI and the DC in VGA (bordered for most games) through the BenQ, and the neighbour was asking me where can he buy/get Powerstone for the 360 (he thought the 360 was running it :D).

FYI, Dreamcast games that support widescreen (the 16:9 ratio needs to be toggled in the game menu/options):
    • Donald Duck's Quack Attack
    • F355 Challenge
    • Metropolis Street Racer (16:9 = unlockable feature)
    • NASCAR Thunder
    • Rayman 2
    • Star Lancer
    • Test Drive V-Rally
    • Tokyo Highway Challenge 2
    • Toy Commander
    • Toy Racer
    • Trickstyle
    • Wacky Races

You'll still be doing it an injustice, until you get a VGA cable for it and use it with a PC monitor or a LCD/Plasma TV with VGA-in (preferably LED, for colour/contrast vibrancy) ;)

But the VGA box seems so expensive, I'm not sure I can justify buying one...

Although this one is kinda cheap... http://cgi.ebay.ie/Dream-Cast-VGA-Box-Brand-New-Gift-Box-Pack-/270700111126?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item3f06fbe516#ht_1764wt_1139

What are you guys doing to me? I remember when I was perfectly happy knowing nothing about RGB or VGA!!!

Now, from that experience, Kuro (of course) and high-end plasma panels may still have the edge (...just), but the traditional LCD-vs-Plasma debate (as regards colour/contrast, esp. blacks) is definitely nowhere near as clear-cut as it used to be.

It's much better now but LCDs and LEDs still have a big problem. I find as long as the screen needs to be backlit the black levels are just bad and very noticeable.

Master of the Universe

pasta-solo wrote: »
    But the VGA box seems so expensive, I'm not sure I can justify buying one...

Although this one is kinda cheap... http://cgi.ebay.ie/Dream-Cast-VGA-Box-Brand-New-Gift-Box-Pack-/270700111126?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item3f06fbe516#ht_1764wt_1139

What are you guys doing to me? I remember when I was perfectly happy knowing nothing about RGB or VGA!!!

That's the one I have and always tell people to get. It works perfect.

On the subject of Dreamcasts and monitors, does anyone know where to get a rotatable monitor stand? I've been looking for one for a while but there doesn't seem to be many available and the ones that are are really expensive. My monitor is currently in a vertical position..propped up against the wall! Not the safest thing in the world.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It's much better now but LCDs and LEDs still have a big problem. I find as long as the screen needs to be backlit the black levels are just bad and very noticeable.
    You need to read a few reviews of the LG I got (47LE8500). The blacks are 'so' black, in the dark I can't see where the picture ends and the frame starts. Blacks on that are easily as good as blacks on the Panny panel I used to have, and you have to bear in mind that the LED LG is glass-fronted when the Panny plasma wasn't! Local dimming does that, and I remember right, this feature is now available for both full and edge-lit LEDs.

Still a premium price TV for sure, very much so compared to 3D sets (but I can't see 'fake 3D' (movies/TVs) so decided -after very extensive reads/research- for the best 2D LED about at the time), but I'd expect that tech should be coming down in price and across more makes/models/sizes very soon.

o1s1n wrote:
    On the subject of Dreamcasts and monitors, does anyone know where to get a rotatable monitor stand?
    Isn't that feature usually built in or with the monitor? I used to have a rotatable 17" LCD (4:3) back in 2003 at work, branded (can't remember which, but ViewSonic or somesuch), as it was easier to work with a full A4 displayed in 'rotated landscape' than with page scaling through software. Wasn't that much either (at the time), about £250 or so if I remember right. The rotation mechanism was built-in the stand which came with the monitor, along with a special install/app CD.

Master of the Universe

I have an LCD widescreen monitor hooked up to the Dreamcast but it doesn't have a rotatable stand. So I literally had to just take it, rotate it and lean it up against the wall.

You can rotate all LCDs. I've had this rotated a long time now and it works fine.

Just need to get a damn stand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Eh? :confused:

Havn't you heard that gem yet? It came from the eco-heroes (like eco-warriors whom I've nothing against, but these guys just havn't a clue). Yep, apparently Plasma tv's are the SUV's of the living room.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just need to get a damn stand!
    Get some cheap parts and make one?
    Havn't you heard that gem yet? It came from the eco-heroes (like eco-warriors whom I've nothing against, but these guys just havn't a clue). Yep, apparently Plasma tv's are the SUV's of the living room.
    Now that's a LOL! :D

So what do these eco-heroes make of 32"+ CRTs, then? Or are they maintaining a conspicuous silence about the innumerable, power-hungrier legacy sets still in use? The fact that broadcast developments (e.g. Freeview/Freeview HD/Freesat here in the UK) require additional power-consuming devices (no built-in decoder in most CRTs, earlier LCDs/plasmas, etc.)? Talk about the politics of envy! :rolleyes:

Sorry for O/T, and thanks for the laugh :)

EDIT: actually, not that O/T, considering many retroheads will still use/maintain CRTs for lightgun games or because newer TV sets increasingly do away with analogue decoding. We retroheads will soon be deemed a menace to the environment, I tell you! :D

Master of the Universe

Well as someone clarified earlier, the ps1, ps2 and PSone use the same cable. So they all look like they'd work.

I'd go with this one -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLAYSTATION-SCART-RGB-TV-CABLE-LEAD-PS1-PS2-/280387834875?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item41486ad3fb

About the Dreamcast, I've noticed the image is not still on my HDTV when connected with the scart cable, it shakes a bit. I'm thinking of getting the VGA box but it is kind of expensive. I need to buy the vga, audio and s-video cables as well. :rolleyes:

Anyway, watch out for that if you're thinking of using the Dreamcast with a scart cable on a HDTV.

Master of the Universe

Are you sure you have it going into the RGB scart socket and not the non RGB scart socket? (Many tvs only have one fully RGB socket)

For the VGA box, you just need a VGA cable and a 3.5mm jack. They're not that expensive. You should get one of those ones on ebay that comes in about €25

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Are you sure you have it going into the RGB scart socket and not the non RGB scart socket? (Many tvs only have one fully RGB socket)

For the VGA box, you just need a VGA cable and a 3.5mm jack. They're not that expensive. You should get one of those ones on ebay that comes in about €25

Yes, I'm sure I did have it in the RGB scart socket.

I remember reading on a Dreamcast forum many months back about this shaking. I can't remember the reasons for it though.

It seems to be fine on my CRT so I'll just use it on that until I get a VGA box.

Advertisement