Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking songs

Options
  • 15-01-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Really want to learn some good ole finger picking songs but im getting sick of searching youtube.

Got a nice tears in heaven song of justinguitar which im slowly learning. Just trying to get away from strumming songs and add some diversity.

Can anyone recommend me some good links or songs to look up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I've been getting really into finger picking lately. Some good ones to start on are Classical Gas (I know it's a little cliched at this point but it is covered by all the guitar greats for a reason.) Streets Of London by Ralph McTell, Pachelbel's Cannon sounds great finger picked on guitar. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/joe_satriani/canon_in_c_tab.htm . Fire and Rain by James Taylor is sweet as well, trickier than it sounds. I guess Nothing Else Matters by Metallica as well. It's pretty easy but it's good to have in your arsenal cause everyone knows and loves it. Also google Francis Tarrega. Everything by him, his stuff ranges from the very easy to pretty difficult. Pretty much all his songs are on youtube. While you're in youtube search for Ana Vidovic as well. There should be loads of videos of her covering classical guitar tracks so scan through them and try a few. She's insanely talented and also smoking hot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

I'm learning landslide at the minute:
    Its not too difficult and really nice to play.

Also like playing this...and its also the first song I can pick and sing at the same time!!!:D

If you're interested in either of these I'll post the chords and picking pattern:)

Would love love love to be able to play the following!! One day;)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

+1 on Classical Gas and Babe I'm Gonna Leave you above.

I used to play a fair bit of fingerpicking stuff, but not so much lately. This thread is inspiring me to practice again ;). Here are some of my favourites to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Its a really simple but beautiful tune to play. Newton plays it half step lower..

Any of Jose Gonzalez are great for finger picking too especially Heartbeats and Crosses

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

great stuff guys, outta my league for the moment mostly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Yea mostly outta my league too! :D

I'm in the same situation at the moment, want to learn more songs with picking but trying to find songs that I want to play and are easy to learn is proving a problem.

Here's a few you might find easier.

The Beatles-Blackbird
    Damien Rice- I remember it well
    Damien Rice- Older Chests
    Paddy Casey- Sweet Suburban Sky
    Radiohead-Street Spirit (although I think the tabs I have are a simplified or less detailed version)

Tears in Heaven is a nice one but it has some tricky bits and I've been cheating on a couple of parts.

Currently trying out Vincent by Don Mclean which actually isn't too difficult.

I've been playing for a year and a half so my skills are very basic, if anyone knows any other picking songs that are more basic please post them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Came across this last night. Not sure if any of you are into blues picking but i'd thought i'd share it as its a really clear lesson and he gives tabs for it on his website. Its gonna be my mission for the next few weeks :D

Advertisement