Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Eircom package - am I expecting too much?

• 15-01-2011 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

I know lots about hardware but not much about software and networks. We have a basic Eircom (1 MBps) service - and that's fine for most of what I do - email, the odd photo upload, some torrenting. The service goes really poor on weekends - maybe it's people watching Setanta Sport or something - but again we kindof expect that for a basic service with lots of contention.
    What is killing me though is any kind of video - it is impossible to watch any youtube clip directly - I usually wait for it to stutter its way to the end and then replay. Similarly skype is only usable in audio only - video quite often won't even fire up.

1112419028.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1112419028.png

This poor quality happens day or night, weekdays or weekends.

I happen to have a neighbour with 7 MBits connection - and his raw upload/download are about 7 times faster than mine - but watching youtube etc. on his connection IS JUST AS BAD! Is it possible that there is some kind of bottleneck at the local exchange? I'd say this deterioration has happened over the last 6 months or so.

Any clues?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

1M/128k is not going to be good enough for video calling on Skype. The upload is too low.
    dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Is it possible that there is some kind of bottleneck at the local exchange?

It's called congestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

jor el wrote: »
    1M/128k is not going to be good enough for video calling on Skype. The upload is too low.

It's called congestion.

Ok - but I would expect both the contention and any congestion to be low at some times during the day - say at 4 a.m. when I can't sleep - or midday on a Tuesday when you'd expect all the home users around here (and there's very little business) to be offline - yet youtube is always bad.

Advertisement